Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Does anyone here agree with this...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone here agree with this...?
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.adamyoshida.com/2003_12_01_archive.html#107085700792933637

(Article: Defeat is not unthinkable)

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for John L   Email John L   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom, he does seem to be quite passionate, doesn't he? I'll agree about the 'winning all the battles, but losing the war' potential. However, that is perhaps the one greatest lession we did learn from the VietNam conflict.

As far asn defeating that fifth column within us, if it is truely treasonous, go after them. Otherwise, defeat them through the realm of ideas. Oh, and yes win the war too.

Posts: 885 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Too many on the left (and, for that matter, at other points on the political spectrum) have come to few support of or opposition to a war of national survival as just another political spectrum.
He meant view, not few, right? And what war of national survival?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This certainly goes farther than OSC's Campaign of Hate and Fear article. It seems to spring from the same meme, however.
Is anyone else creeped out by how eliminationist political rhetoric is becoming? I find it doubly creepy that it seems to be supporters of the ideological group that is firmly ensconced in power that seem (to me at least) to now be advocating intimidation, violence, or murder against those who don't agree with them. Threats from fringe crackpots will aways exist -- but this seems to be picking up steam as a movement.

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I fully realize that my assertion of this doctrine will set some to screaming about the right of ‘dissent’. Well, as to that, let me say this. The right to ‘dissent’ is the right to remain silent, to disagree, to not participate. That is a natural right which is retained by every single human being under any condition. There is no right, however, to attempt to incite others to join you in undermining the efforts of a national at war. That is not dissent: it is sedition. There is no right to speak out in support of an enemy of the nation. That is no dissent: it is treason.
That's horrible. No, Tom, I'll even unite with *you* against that sort of totalitarian horror. It speaks from the dark place where the voice of Mao from the "left" merges with the voice of Hitler from the "right", showing that the whole one-dimentional spectrum that we use to construct our political world and discourse is a broken metaphor and a lie.

There are those that would march into hell for a heavenly cause, and then there are those that would build a palace down there while they are in the neighborhood...

Alabozo:
quote:
This certainly goes farther than OSC's Campaign of Hate and Fear article. It seems to spring from the same meme, however.
I doubt it, but for the sake of argument, which article are you speaking of?
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2003-11-16-1.html

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page