Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » MapQuest change

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MapQuest change
WmLambert
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for WmLambert   Email WmLambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice that MapQuest, one of my favorite tools for driving directions no longer offers aerial images. It used to allow you to type in an address and give you a map of your destination that was expandable to a larger size, and had a tab for the aerial image of the mapped area. Both the larger size and aerial image are gone.

Did anyone come across an announcement or report of this?

[ January 21, 2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: WmLambert ]

Posts: 1372 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's depressing. i had a good 5 minutes of fun one day locating my office and house on an aerial image.
Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. I've never got an aerial image from MapQuest. Maybe I live in the wrong area. [Smile]
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enumclaw
Member # 876

- posted      Profile for Enumclaw   Email Enumclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed some recent changes in the various map-providing companies. MapBlast got sucked up by Microsoft.

I suspect that the costs of storing and providing those images just weren't worth it to MapQuest. Kinda sucks if you used them a lot, but you know what they say... you get what you pay for. [Smile]

Paul

Posts: 1656 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's still Yahoo maps and driving directions.
Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly do not think that Yahoo is as good as Mapquest. There have been several occasions (before I knew Mapquest existed) where yahoo took me into the middle of a neighborhood and just stopped, and others where the directions were just totally wrong.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you get aerial images from Yahoo! Maps? I couldn't see it there.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto
Member # 570

- posted      Profile for Leto   Email Leto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, I've hated MapQuest for years. They never give the best route for getting around here (SJersey/Philly/Delaware area). MS MapPoint has been a staple for me. Better than MapQuest, I can better save the maps for later, and it's far more accurate for some reason.
Posts: 942 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stormghost
Member # 853

- posted      Profile for stormghost   Email stormghost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can still see USGS aerial photos at Terraserver. The USGS photos are about 10 years old, though, so they won't be too useful for planning road trips. You used to be able to zoom in pretty close (somewhere I have a nice shot of the house we owned in Nebraska), but that feature was disabled on the last photo I looked at...probably reserved for registered users, unless they make you pay for them now. Terraserver also sells recent satellite imagery, but it's pretty pricey.

Safe travels,
G

Posts: 237 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WmLambert
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for WmLambert   Email WmLambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MapQuest aerial images were pretty recent. You could see the cars in the driveways and people walking around and try to figure out when the pictures were taken. TomD is right that some places were not covered. If you got too close to Selfridge Air National Guard Air Base, for instance, you couldn't zoom in on any black helicopters - just a blank spot. The only cost to it was bandwidth - because it was a done deal. I theorize that the aerial-image map-selling web sites may have entered into a contractual arrangement to get rid of competition.
Posts: 1372 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also possible that someone argued that they were a security risk...?
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or backyards with naked sunbathers were getting too much attention? [Eek!]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page