Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Gotta get me some potato chips!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gotta get me some potato chips!
WmLambert
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for WmLambert   Email WmLambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While wandering idly through interesting internet web sites, I spied The 2003 Tarnished Halo Awards. I found the normally expected awards given to PETA crazies and Anti-eating crazies then saw this:

quote:
The "Bet You Can't Eat Just 180 Pounds" Category
Awarded to the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), for scaring Americans off French fries and potato chips by claiming that the chemical acrylamide (found in starchy foods cooked at high temperatures) causes 8,900 cancers in America every year. To arrive at this number, CSPI arbitrarily inflated government nutrition statistics. Existing studies on cancer and dietary acrylamide show that human beings would have to eat over 180 pounds of French fries every day for life in order to have any real risk. Shortly after its bogus warning about acrylamide, CSPI had the temerity to host a conference titled "Integrity in Science."

I am now going out to buy a 179 pound bag of chips. Mmmmm!
Posts: 1372 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for John L   Email John L   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder, what is the real purpose of this clever little group of Collectivists? Could it be the further subjugation of individual Liberties to that of the State? Will this further enhance the 'Nanney State'? [Wink]
Posts: 885 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WmLambert
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for WmLambert   Email WmLambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clever little skinny Collectivists, maybe.
Posts: 1372 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously it is an attempt by the Vegetable Farmers of America to scare people off potatoes and start eating vegetable chips made from tomatoes or celery. If you want to know who is behind this, see who invested heavily in tomato futures! [Wink]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd say they were probably trying to give people SOME reason not to eat themselves into oblivion on that sort of food. maybe if they thought it was going to give them cancer they'd have self control?
Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enumclaw
Member # 876

- posted      Profile for Enumclaw   Email Enumclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
maybe if they thought it was going to give them cancer they'd have self control?
Highly doubtful, given that people know that about cigarettes and still smoke. [Confused]

Paul

Posts: 1656 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the single most harmful component of potato chips is calories. Like many people, I have a food sensitivity to calories. They make me swell up.
Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what we need is a law to protect us from overeating fries so we can reduce the fear of fries induced carcinoma (FIC). And some kind of enforcement agency, prefereably at the federal level with the authority to monitor of french fry intake and enforce penalties on those that violate (or their parents in the event of a minor - won't someone please think of the children!).

We could just make one big "super" agency that helps with food induced illnesses (FII). That way we can finally defeat starvation in America (thousands dying every day) and it's twin problem of obesity (thousands dying every day).

Let's call it The Internal Dietary Service - the IDS. Every year they'll weigh us and check our blood chemistry to insure we are eating 'right'. Extreme cases may require constant dietary supervision by case workers. As you can see, the IDS will be big and expensive but isn't the health of the nation much more important? For God's sake, think of the children!

Anyone not supporting this initiative is a hate-filled racist homophobic nazi.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think the single most harmful component of potato chips is calories. Like many people, I have a food sensitivity to calories. They make me swell up.
Try applying generous quantities of elbow grease. That seems to help reduce the swelling. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WmLambert
Member # 604

Wayward Son That sounds like Poutine - the national fast food of Canada. That's the country to the south of me.
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Bush at one time think Poutine was the premier of Canada?

For the benefit of the geographically challenged, Windsor, Ontario is south of the Metro Detroit area. Their weathermen talk gleefully of cold fronts moving in from the U.S.

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Pepper
Member # 1291

- posted      Profile for Dan Pepper   Email Dan Pepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my teachers at good old Baraga High School (in the Upper Penisula of Michigan, where I grew up) was fond of quoting the percentage of Candians we were north of.
I have no clue what that percentage was. Isn't it amazing the things we remember and don't remember?

Posts: 103 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WmLambert
Member # 604

Yes, Ron, and Poutine may have been better than the last PM. (For those who are not Upers, Michiganders, or Canucks, Gravy cheese-fries is like the national food of Canada, eh?)

[ February 26, 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: WmLambert ]

WmLambert
Member # 604

(I'm sorry - I forgot whose forum we're in) ...neh?
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

It's your thread, Wm. And Happy Birthday!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page