Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Kerry/McCain 2004 Ticket

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kerry/McCain 2004 Ticket
Murdok
Member # 1225

- posted      Profile for Murdok   Email Murdok   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been bubbling around Washington for a few weeks now. Most are brushing this off as a slip of the tounge or some ones practical joke. But the noise about this is growing. My cousin who works as a Senate aide (Republican) tells me this is not so funny to a number of republicans. And that word around the water cooler is what the GOP can do to possibly beat Kerry to the punch and stop this before it goes any further.

But even now the press is picking up on these rumors as evidenced here:
Kerry and McCain 2004

This should be interesting to watch as McCain has never really forgiven Bush for the 2000 primary election and the push polling they did to win a couple of key states in the south.
Read on:
Bush and phone Banks denounce McCain as a baby killer
Or:
Push Polls
Or:
Slate Article on Bush and Push Polling

Ad to this the fact that he thinks the Bush administration is spending like a bunch of drunken sailors and that their lies about things like the cost of the Iraqi war and their medicare presciption drug plan costs being $135 billion off the mark. In fact lying to congress about the cost.

The list goes on. So it is not too far fetched that McCain could actually consider this run with Kerry. Not one bit.

Posts: 954 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it will really happen, if only because McCain and Kerry are about as far apart on social issues as possible, without being Stalin and Ghandi...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murdok
Member # 1225

- posted      Profile for Murdok   Email Murdok   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EV - what about the ying and the Yang? The Tao - Balance. It could be just the ticket.
Posts: 954 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will McCain be the subordinate force in the yin-yang of the presidency/vice presidency? Cause, the vp has like, no power, unless his name is dick cheney.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 917

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how feasible it is, but if it did happen I think it would be a serious blow to the Bush campaign. It's a double edged sword, though. How would the really liberal democrats take it? Would it push them over the edge to vote for Nader? That would be an interesting result - Bush 42%, Kerry 39%, Nader 19%?

It would certainly be a bold move, though.

Posts: 585 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Bingham
Member # 1456

- posted      Profile for Ray Bingham   Email Ray Bingham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Bush should dump Cheney for Nader! Or that Harry Brown guy! [Wink]

--Ray

PS> Or better yet, Malcorean!

[ April 02, 2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Ray Bingham ]

Posts: 589 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. The reason the Dems will never do it is that there's no way they're gonna be willing to put McCain in the catbird seat in 8 years. There will be virtually NO way he won't become president if he becomes veep.

The problem for McCain is that he won't have a political party after that happens. The Republicans will disown him and the Democrats will have a TON of trouble accepting some of his social views.

On a lighter note, wouldn't Kerry get accused of flip-flopping on his party affiliation? [Wink]

-Ivan

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Bingham
Member # 1456

- posted      Profile for Ray Bingham   Email Ray Bingham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know we should just have a law that requires a party candidate to pick someone from the other party as their runningmate... maybe that would force the parties to become more centrist... make everyone upset! [Wink]

--Ray

Posts: 589 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray,

don't know if you were aware of this, but historically the first runner up was VP.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincan Sailor
Member # 1664

- posted      Profile for Tincan Sailor   Email Tincan Sailor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McCain is friends with Kerry. He is not friends with Bush. But he will not join Kerry, and has now said so repeatedly and emphatically.

Remember this January when he was up in NH during the primary doing some GOP counter-stumping?

I have a lot of very good friends who are pretty darned liberal, and while I respect them and like them, I would not choose them to be part of my team if I were chosen to run the country. I think both Kerry and McCain feel the same way. At least, I hope they do. Because if they don't, they will be putting a party "win" above their core beliefs on the best way to run a nation, and that would be wrong.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jedilaw
Member # 1020

- posted      Profile for jedilaw   Email jedilaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Heh. The reason the Dems will never do it is that there's no way they're gonna be willing to put McCain in the catbird seat in 8 years. There will be virtually NO way he won't become president if he becomes veep.

Not true. Quite a few VPs have failed to eventually become President:

1) Johnson's VP (Humphrey?)

2) Rockefeller

3) Mondale

4) Quayle

5) Gore

6) Roosevelt's first VP...

7) Truman's VP (Stevenson?)

et cetera

Posts: 1600 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yossarian5555555
Member # 1639

- posted      Profile for Yossarian5555555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would vote for that ticket, a liberal being president and a conservative as vice president is better then both being conservative [Wink]
Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jedilaw-

This would be a MUCH different situation. It would be democrats endorsing a republican candidate for president.

quote:
don't know if you were aware of this, but historically the first runner up was VP.
-- LetterRip

Very true. And Jefferson fought tooth and nail to undermine Adam's policies. Which is why they changed the law. [Razz]

Just imagine what Gore would've done if he was stuck in the veep's office for ANOTHER four years. [Razz]

-Ivan

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murdok
Member # 1225

Probably kill himself!
ben5
Member # 1488

- posted      Profile for ben5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of course the white house would alwayse have somebody dragging their feet, and even though the VP has no power it would look pretty bad if the VP and the President never agreed on anything.
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page