Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » New stuff at the bottom of the page

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New stuff at the bottom of the page
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else noted the new things at the bottom of the pages? Links to other sites? Has this been here for a while and I am just that oblivious?

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes. i noticed, particularly because at the bottom of the piercing thread there are links about piercing.
Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh,

hadn't noticed. I think I never end up scrolling that far down <g>.

If it helps Card defray the cost of hosting, it works for me.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's surprising is that it is not on Hatrack, or at least not yet.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rte66
Member # 176

- posted      Profile for Rte66   Email Rte66   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, or scarey!! Context senstive advert's.
Posts: 330 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puretext
Member # 823

- posted      Profile for Puretext   Email Puretext   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Context sensitive ads. I am so buying into Google's IPO.

What makes it intensely ingenious is the fact that it's context sensitive ads on a highly intelligent forum. Does that mean we'll get highly intelligent ads?

Just think: the quality of your conversation will be indicated by the quality of the ads at the bottom..

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kilthmal
Member # 547

- posted      Profile for Kilthmal   Email Kilthmal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And to think, at the time of this posting there were NO ADS for Google Adverts or for the Google ipo.

[Wink]

Kilthmal

Posts: 728 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ben5
Member # 1488

- posted      Profile for ben5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think its stupid it sortof cheapens ornery, making it seem like a big advertisement
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serotonin'sGone
Member # 1219

- posted      Profile for Serotonin'sGone   Email Serotonin'sGone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, because ornery has always been known for the millions of hits it receives. i'm sure it will generate thousands in advertisements.

ads like that are great imo--much, much better then pop ups or anything annoying like that. so long as they are inconspicuously located at the bottom, who cares?

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ads really do deal with the thread. On the Israel thread they have ads about meeting Jewish singles and websites about the Middle East conflict or something like that.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I love my friendly neighborhood opera blocking all those ads [Smile]
GaalD
unregistered

Every thread has ads dealing with the thread. Who organizes it all and matches the ads with the thread?
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jamie,

googles software 'adsense' does it automatically.

It scans the page for key words, probably giving higher weight to the title of the thread and the opening paragraph.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the ones on Salon are any indication, it doesn't work super well.
Their review of "Hellboy" popped out an ad for a Christian dating service, I'd guess because the reviewer was talking about what a Catholic movie she found it.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

OrneryMod

Could you weigh in here as to the change? A while back you had a discussion about the notion of banners and such and you said, "I have talked with the Webmaster and my fears are unfounded, which I thought they might be."

So what has changed? Has anything changed?

As ads go they are discreet, which is good. They don't move or flash, which is good. They are a change, which gets a reflexive 'bad' from me. (Any change in format of periodicals, newspapers, comicbooks, and other text based things gets a reflexive bad from me unless it is a clear improvement.) I still don't like the front page and I like War Watch a whole lot better then World Watch. I just didn't see the need. If it's not broke don't fix it, you know?

If it is just to off set the cost of the site I'm all for that.
But if cost of the site wasn't the issue, then what spurred the change?

OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not notified of the change so it comes as a surprise to me as well. To tell the truth, I did not even notice them as I usually do not get to the bottom of the page.

I find them unobtrusive and at least they are context sensitive. This may have been what the Webmaster was talking about when he said that they had plans in place for the partial funding of Ornery. I have no problem with Card doing what he wants to help defray the cost of the site.

OrneryMod

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kilthmal
Member # 547

- posted      Profile for Kilthmal   Email Kilthmal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I like the Dean ads on the front page. I guess google isn't omniscient yet. That or they are concealing their full capabilities in deference to the gobs of cash that our political overlords are paying them for taking point on internet surveilence.

Kilthmal

Posts: 728 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is official now, the same adds are at the bottom of Hatrack, so it is not just us. We were just the lab rats. [Smile]

OrneryMod

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Bingham
Member # 1456

- posted      Profile for Ray Bingham   Email Ray Bingham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should see if we can influence the popups that appear at the bottom of the page by choosing interesting keywords like, "Dung-encrusted Penguins of Paradise"

This could be like a national passtime. Starting new threads with keywords... kind of like a "Ring Toss" at a carnival! We could even rate the links...

I wonder if there are any questionable links in the ad database... muwahahaha...

5 points if you can get the link on selling live badgers!

--Ray

Posts: 589 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

10 points if you are as awesome and me and don't see ads. *does dance*

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page