Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Recent suspensions and myself

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recent suspensions and myself
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 10 days ago, I was asked to be a part of the final process that the mod was going through, along with other members of the site.

I was not really involved in creating the list of those to be suspended, as I came to the process late. I did voice strong objections to one person on the list, and that person was removed, hopefully after due consideration to my objections by other people involved in the process. I have made suggestions about what our goals should be in cleaning up ornery, but I have never considered myself to be in a position of power. I hope I didn't abuse what little power I had.

Since then I have been in communication with some of teh suspended members, as well as the other people involved in trying to clean up ornery.

After reading through the complaints and trying to understand more perspectives on the process that the mod is going through, I have volunteered to put myself on the suspended list for 6 weeks.

it is my belief that this will help the process of cleaning up the site.

I think what the desired goal for ornery is can be summed up in two statements from the "about ornery.org" page.

"On this website, we welcome serious discussion about events, ideas, leaders, candidates, parties, principles, governments, religions, philosophies, and programs.

Personal courtesy is the fundamental condition of free discussion, and free discussion is the fundamental condition of democratic government."

If my absense can help ornery acheive this goal, then it is, in my opinion, worth losing my posting rights for six weeks so that others better suited to doing the clean up work can make sure every post meets those standards.

I would hope that other members of the site understand how seriously I take this, and take their posting as seriously as I do. I love posting on ornery, but am willing to give up that right in order to help ornery be a place that I can love even more then I already do.

Please, if you reread your post, and realize it might hinder free discussion, rather then promote it, edit your post, change it, so that you promote free discussion. After all, thats what we are here for.

Thank you to everyone who is trying to become a better poster.

Paul Goldner

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Bingham
Member # 1456

- posted      Profile for Ray Bingham   Email Ray Bingham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a nice break. You deserve it. [Wink] Catch ya later!

--Ray

Posts: 589 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ben5
Member # 1488

- posted      Profile for ben5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what happened ten days ago? are the people who were banned allowed to come back?
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know that you need to "fall on your sword", Ev, if the OM didn't single you out.

I know I have seen accusation towards you in the past, but as long as OM doesn't care...

But it is very thoughtful of you. A good (but necessary?) gesture.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you could restrict yourself to postings of a strictly factual nature, e.g. if someone misquotes or makes obviously false statements. I think that keeping the facts straight is half the battle in getting people to agree.
Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kilthmal
Member # 547

- posted      Profile for Kilthmal   Email Kilthmal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're doing the right thing Ev. This is a time of personal growth and progress. Like my progress towards catching you in post-count. Without your sacrifice, my posting here could be in vain. I salte you.

Kilthmal

Posts: 728 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kilthmal
Member # 547

- posted      Profile for Kilthmal   Email Kilthmal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, instead of salte it should be salute.

Kilthmal

Posts: 728 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kilthmal
Member # 547

Oh yeah, and going back to correct bias is a good thing too.

Kilthmal

[Ok, I'll stop... [Big Grin] ]

PlaydoughBoy
Member # 1342

- posted      Profile for PlaydoughBoy   Email PlaydoughBoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is foolish. The point in suspending people was to effect a change and restore "what once was"; to prove the importance in maintaining the environment that the mod wanted on Ornery not just to those who weren't in compliance but to everyone. The mod admitted there were others that may have deserved admonishment in some form or another but that those individuals suspended were to serve as an example of behavior that was unacceptable, regardless of whether or not anyone here thinks it just or ethical that some were chosen and others not.

They were suspended instead of banned so that they may change and continue on here. It was less a form of punishment and more a statement of required change. The fact is the suspension and its duration has nothing to do with alleviating the problem, it was to prove the point that they needed to make a behavioral change. So Ev if you feel you may have not been in complete compliance then change, leaving benefits no one and proves nothing. It’s neither noble nor effective.

Posts: 504 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, OK, if you must. Come back soon, okay?
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, am I the only person here who really doesn't get it?

quote:
If my absense can help ornery acheive this goal, then it is, in my opinion, worth losing my posting rights for six weeks so that others better suited to doing the clean up work can make sure every post meets those standards.
How is your absence going to help Ornery achieve its goal? I'm afraid that wasn't explicit in your post.

Can someone enlighten me, in case Ev is actually gone?

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
potemkyn
unregistered

While I applaud Ev's willingness to take responsibility, espeically in today's society, I must say I don't understand why he did. Was Ev complicit in this? I'm not sure I understand.
Morton
unregistered

He's kidding, right?
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the Captain, I shall take the punishment.
Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Ron   Email Ron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People say that leadership always brings pangs of guilt, something like the phrase "woulda, shoulda, coulda". Generally it reflects doubt. Did Everard feel that what he stated was somehow false? Misleading? Did he do his best? If he did his best, what exactly is the apology for?

I don't think he is as insincere as Richard Clark, but perhaps he could have made his reasoning clearer. It just looks more like a display or search for martyrdom. I could be wrong of course.

[ April 15, 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Ron ]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Well, I've had my suspension lifted, not through any of my own actions, but after the mod talked to Kristine Card, he felt like my suspension served no purpose.

When the suspensions came down, and I started seeing feedback from people outside the mod, myself, and the other people involved, I realized that I should have been part of the group suspended... why?

Simple. The people we suspended are, in large part, too entrenched in the hostile environment of ornery to make an easy transition to an ornery where civility is demanded. I feel the same way about myself. I should have been on that list.

However, since the Cards want the suspensions to only be a week, the Mod rethought his acceptance of my suspension, and I'm back.

I hope to do better in my posting style. I will be here on monday all day challenging the suspended posters if they make hostile remarks. I hope others will keep me in check.

FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"However, since the Cards want the suspensions to only be a week, the Mod rethought his acceptance of my suspension, and I'm back."
Are 6 weeks up already? LOL, my how time just seems to whizz right by.

quote:
"I will be here on monday all day challenging the suspended posters if they make hostile remarks."
You know, that just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. All freaking day? LOL, I hope you're not playing hooky.
Everard
unregistered

Its massachusetts. We have no school on monday *Grin*

I love strange holidays that the rest of the country scratches their head over [Smile]

Kamisaki
Member # 917

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What holiday would that be, praytell?
Posts: 585 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"It just looks more like a display or search for martyrdom. I could be wrong of course."
Behold the sacrificial lamb who takes away the sin of Ornery.

Seriously though, the longer this drags out, the more ridiculous and funnier it gets.

Ev, do yourself a favor, and go do something fun and more worthwhile on Monday, other than camping out on Ornery all day, looking for the suspended to come back and hurl insults when they probably won't do that, let alone come back.

Everard
unregistered

Yeah, I've found something to do...

*Peers at mechanics take home exam*

Edit: Monday is Patriots Day

No, not the football team [Smile]

[ April 16, 2004, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Everard ]

Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Edit: Monday is Patriots Day

No, not the football team

Well, I would've believed you if you'd said it was [Big Grin]

In Gainesville, the public schools get the Friday of UF's homecoming off. Pretty silly, if you ask me, but those were 13 fun Fridays. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yossarian5555555
Member # 1639

- posted      Profile for Yossarian5555555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everard, although it's good to see people taking more responsibiliy, you leaving ornery won't solve anything.
Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"Everard, although it's good to see people taking more responsibiliy, you leaving ornery won't solve anything."
You should really read the rest of his posts; he's still here isn't he?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page