Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Am I conservative in your opinion?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I conservative in your opinion?
potemkyn
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately, a lot of self-described liberal posters have been making statements about conservatives that don't apply to me. Now, growing up I was always the conservative. Living in an urban environment usually means that a 'conservative' is not that conservative but that everyone around him/her is just hyper-liberal. So I've had it drilled into my head since I was young that I was a conservative. Wasn't until college that I realized that I'm much more of a social conservative and an economic liberal.

Having said all that, should I respond to the posts that say, "why aren't the conservatives doing this?" Because most of the time it means I'll have to say, "well, I do that."

Especially you liberals, am I a moderate and thus should refrain from responding to your challenges to the conservatives? Am I an obnoxious ultra-conservative who can do no right? Am I a middle of the road conservative that just bucks the trend?

Keep in mind, I don't care what you say about 'my politics'. I won't be offended because your opinions don't really matter [Big Grin] . No, seriously, they do matter, but I'm not looking to identify or anything, I just want to know what your perspective of me is.

Thanks for your time.

Potemkyn

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ben5
Member # 1488

- posted      Profile for ben5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that you are a middle of the road conservitive.
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always viewed you as a middle-roader who leans a little to the right, Potemkyn. [Smile]

Much as I view myself...

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

I think you're a paleo-libertarian; it puts you in the more conservative realm, but you definately aren't the typical conservative's conservative.
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You strike me as conservative, a right-side libertarian. But not very republican.
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Bingham
Member # 1456

- posted      Profile for Ray Bingham   Email Ray Bingham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I view you as a guy with a great sense of humor and someone I'd love to know in person, but alas, the internet is a cruel mistress... err... um... yeah...

Fwiw, I'm a serious disappointment misguided liberal who very rarely agrees with him to my very conservative father-in-law, but most people here seem to find me intollerably conservative. [Wink] So I think a part of this has to do with whom you're comparing.

--Ray

Posts: 589 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yossarian5555555
Member # 1639

- posted      Profile for Yossarian5555555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You seem like someone who actually thinks about what's going on, and when you finish thinking most of the time you have a conservative point of view. I respect this because even if I usually disagree with you, you are obviously someone who tries to understand what is going on and doesn't just blindly support one party or position [Big Grin]
Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
potemkyn
unregistered

Libertarian? I always scored authortarian on all the tests...oh well, can't be helped.

Thanks for the comments guys (and ladies too [Wink] ), but should I respond to a "conservatives do/don't this all the time"? I assuming from your responses that I should.

Potemkyn

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Libertarian? Potemkin is the opposite of a libertarian. Libertarianism combines fiscal conservatism and cultural nihilism. Potemkin combines fiscal liberalism and cultural traditionalism. Pretty close to myself, except that I'm a little less authoritarian than Potemkin -- where was that survey ...
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page