Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Moderates: What Kinds of Topics Do You Want?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moderates: What Kinds of Topics Do You Want?
David Ricardo
Member # 1678

- posted      Profile for David Ricardo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know some people are a little tired of simple partisan bomb-throwing, so here's a question to those "moderates" who might prefer a cleaner atmosphere for discussion:

What kinds of topics do you want?

Right now, I am trying to hold myself to only introducing topics that are constructive in some way -- either by highlighting a particularly important event/story/scandal or by pushing for suggestions/consensus on policy (I am a pragmatist policy wonk, not so much a philosopher).

I understand that others might be more interested in other topics like constitutional issues or philosophical dilemmas.

Anyway, I implore the "moderates" to bring up topics to which they would be interested. This way, we can avoid rabid partisan Bush-bashing or Kerry-bashing or "Person X"-bashing.

Even if you do not have particular expertise behind the topic that interests you, do not worry. I would be more than happy to offer some background substantiation to your introductory post, and I am sure that other posters would also be more than happy to "build" upon your posts too.

With that said, I guess that I am imploring "newer" people to bring their two cents to the table in the form of topics that they want discussed.

Posts: 1429 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a moderate, but...

If you bring up a topic thats about a politician, and not a policy, you probably shouldn't even post it. Its not constructive.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's talk about technology. I love talking about cutting edge stuff.

When we got worked up about solar towers and TDP and such, I was really happy about what the conversation turned up. None of the usual suspects made the discussion about BushKerryIraqConspiracySkeletonsInTheClosetVietnam.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The determinism-free will thing is also working out well.
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I'd really like to emphasize that the threads that degenerate, almost all of them someone speculates about the MOTIVES of a politician or a political group.

If, when arguing a position, you have to resort to speculating a motive that is negative regardless of political affiliation, then don't post. Find another way to make your point, because first of all, your argument is 99% likely to be based off of a false premise, and secondly, your argument will not generate productive discussion.

[ May 01, 2004, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Everard ]

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

All right then. I have a proposal.

A boycott of those stupid, useless threads that serve only to foment personal attacks, speculation about motives, and increasing need for Mod nannying.
Just say no.

I'm frankly sick of it. I'm sick of seeing twenty threads about what amounts to the exact same argument played out with a different link each time.
I am seeing rays of hope, though. Every once in a while I see a thread about something that doesn't lend itself to partisan bickering. Let's strive to talk about those instead, those threads where we know everyone can stay rational and serious.

I'm boycotting them anyway, starting now. Anyone who wants to join me, you're more than welcome.

Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just say no. -WP
Barbara Bush, First Lady of Bush Sr. used that in her campaign against drugs in the 80's, therefore you must be a conservative pushing an agenda, therefore I as a moderate will ignore this thread from now on. Shame on you WP!

But seriously, I think that is what the great majority of the people who come to Ornery do, they ignore and don't respond, because they see what people write as biased or toward one party. Of course, if we ignore everything we don't want to hear, then we will simply become a forum from which nothing is posted because everyone is busy ignoring what someone has to say. I know im taking this to the extreme, and that the reaction of ignoring threads to the extreme is because some threads have become ridiculous, but we should not cast aside all disagreement.

Of course, I know that practically everyone here already does this, so I will shut my mouth lecturing what I understand little of.

To sum up, Sounds Good To Me.

Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ben5
Member # 1488

- posted      Profile for ben5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a moderate, but discusions on things that don't go along party lines are usually pretty interesting. Like Isrieal and religion.
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serotonin'sGone
Member # 1219

- posted      Profile for Serotonin'sGone   Email Serotonin'sGone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no topics about kerry, bush, or any other politicians. no threads about iraq unless you have a POLICY suggestion. In a perfect world policy criticisms would be ok too. ornery is imperfect, so best just lay off unless you're feeling a godlike level of objectivity.

I wouldn't mind a thread on cutting edge technology--for instance nanotechnology. it has been the flavor of the month for 5 years, but what has been gained? I'm currently doing research in a field which was really hot in the late 80's early 90's but then completely vanished off the face of the earth. It's strange how these things happen, and i wonder which fields of today will find themselves reduced to the trash heap.

A debate on the overseas job outsourcing might be good too. I've seen a lot of arguments from both sides of the issue crop up tangentially in threads, but I don't recall this being the central topic to any recent threads.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wouldn't mind a thread on cutting edge technology--for instance nanotechnology
Anyone else care to revive discussion on this old thread?

Topic: Science/Engineering quiz for LetterRip, Seagull, Chiu etc...

I haven't seen Chiu, and Raviv around for quite a while [Frown] LetterRip has gone on his annual summer trip to the land of low connectivity.

But I'd love to discuss the physic/engineering/space applications of nanotechnology with some of the new people here.

Posts: 1910 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

I am not a moderate either, but more topics on political theory would be fun.
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the more analytical and pragmatic discussions about Bush, Kerry, and others. The "what does X need to do to win" threads often have some good stuff in them.

Maybe a better criteria for "ignoring" threads would be if there seems to be an implicit need for a winner. Where competition is not the point, we have awesome discussions.

P.S.- Am I a moderate? I think I am, but I base that more on the fact that I'm rarely happy with the two (or more) ideological extremes that think you have to choose one side or the other, rather than incorporating MANY interests and ideas.

[ May 03, 2004, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: drewmie ]

Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page