Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » An interesting snippet from David Brock....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An interesting snippet from David Brock....
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2004/05/11/noise/index.html

(...which dovetails nicely with my own experiences, I might add.)

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, excellent article. I was leary of Brock at first, but he seems for real.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
While it is not the only answer, my answer is: It's the media, stupid.
Rubbish. I read Blinded by the Right and it's a load of crap. I'm a conservative-gone-liberal, and the problem with the left is... THE LEFT! Both left and right have "special interests," but the left's are considered the norm for Dems. We constantly see NAACP and NOW people on television.

Conservatives, OTOH, have been much more pragmatic, and learned Clinton's strategies better than Democrats. They keep NRA and Christian Coalition people OFF the tube comparatively, and it makes the Republicans look like a moderate party. If the Dems did that, they'd have a huge load of extremist activists stringing them up and screaming about free speech. But frankly, it would give the liberal agenda a much needed boost in the polls.

Stop blaming the right for what our party has done TO ITSELF!

Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Stop blaming the right for what our party has done TO ITSELF!"

Drewmie, while I wholeheartedly agree that the Dems have made their share of mistakes, I would suggest that the millions of dollars spent by Republican smear machines every year would suggest that not EVERYTHING that's happened to the Dems is in fact something they've done to themselves. [Smile]

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are very few "smears" that would have any effect at all if the Dems didn't (1) give them the ammo, or (2) play the same petty game.

If only John Edwards had won the nomination, we'd have someone to marginalize the antagonists that wield far too much influence in the Democratic Party. (sigh)

Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

You know, drewmie, I dispute that. It's like saying that advertising would have no effect if the product weren't good -- but that's demonstrably false. This doesn't mean that the Democratic Party doesn't have its share of actual flaws, but I don't think "where there's smoke, there's fire" actually applies when you're discussing political smear campaigns.
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drewmie, you can call it rubbish, but the guy was there, and what he used to do and now writes about obviously works. It's kinda like saying "Ogilvy on Advertising" is rubbish.

You can't argue with results. You can't argue with what Brock says about the echo chamber effect. You can see it every day. You can see it as an end result right here on Ornery. You also can't argue with the fact that the right always seems to have a "rap" ready to attack any democratic nominee. Check out the examples he brings about Gore.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page