Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » These new forums annoy me. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: These new forums annoy me.
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the old version better.

I'm scrolling an awful lot now, because this forum squeezes the reply boxes (and everything else) down to a third of my screen.

Can we go back? Please?

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. No likey!
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make that a third vote. (although the quick reply option is nice)

[ May 27, 2004, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: JoshuaD ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me four! (wait a sec... ooh! quick reply! me likey!)

[ May 27, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: drewmie ]

Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take Me Home!

Waaaa! Where is mommy!?

Vote #5

Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it!
Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These new formus encourge the quick posting of worthless little tidbits like what I am posting right now.

I am wasting 1/2 my screen on the right, and 1/4 on my left with these new forums.

Please, fix it before its too late.

P.s. Whats with the dirty blue and sickly orange?

Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having the forums fit in the side area like it is can be adjusted, I think. I would like all of us to take a look at the features offered and see what we like and dislike. The webmaster says he is still fine tuning it, so comments, sent to me, would be ok.

OrneryMod

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just think the general format looks cheap.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks bad, is annoying, where are all the handy buttons (quote, bold, URL, etc)???
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ben5
Member # 1488

- posted      Profile for ben5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like it either
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can not use all the fun stuff with the quick reply. Look a bit further down and you will see an ADD REPLY button next to the NEW TOPIC button. That reply feature has all the fun stuff.

msquared

[ May 27, 2004, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: msquared ]

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You can not use all the fun stuff with the quick reply. Look a bit further down and you will see an ADD REPLY button next to the NEW TOPIC button. That reply feature has all the fun stuff.
You can still do it, you just need to know the actual code. (this is done in the quick reply box)
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also using the FULL REPLY button in the quick reply section takes you to the area with all the fun buttons.

Again, things are in the testing mode. I know that the feature topic now works. I am also checking on the e-mail feature from within the profile so that you can e-mail people who have hidden their e-mail addresses.

I will see what other features that are available and that we will be allowed to use. I did see on the control panel an option, I think, to let people edit their post for a certain period of time and then they can not.

OrneryMod

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koner_at_home
unregistered

Tell the webmaster to check out PhPBB. Its free and its MUCH better than UBB and it has a lot more options.
mv
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for mv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we went with phpBB on the AI Jane forum. [Wink]

But converting an existing forum from one board format to another might be difficult.

[ May 27, 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: mv ]

Posts: 1798 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sancselfieme
unregistered

I agree, this format is extremely unsightful.
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THIS new format, I think may work. [Smile]
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iiiiinteresting....
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sancselfieme
unregistered

Even with full screen, I liked the old, calm, passive color scheme better than this garish, tacky one.

[ May 28, 2004, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Sancselfieme ]

Enumclaw
Member # 876

- posted      Profile for Enumclaw   Email Enumclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, there's a pretty simple conversion tool that you can use to change from UBB to phpbb.

That said, why mess with things at all? Sigh. I used to do product testing for Microsoft from time to time, and I think they got tired of listening to me rant about when the program designers would change things just to have changed them.

Paul

Posts: 1656 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

Here's a vote to go back to the old color scheme and old layout.
And to get rid of the Quick reply feature.

[ May 28, 2004, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: kelcimer ]

Serotonin'sGone
Member # 1219

- posted      Profile for Serotonin'sGone   Email Serotonin'sGone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh, bunch of neophobes. It took me about 10 minutes to get completely used to the new format, now I kinda like it. Especially if it has some new features (the no editing after X minutes sounds pretty cool).
Posts: 1117 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

how many minutes is it?
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, give us back the old font. The new one looks like Windows 3.1 and makes me think it's a forum for people with vision problems.
Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having the posting window and the actual comments you're quoting from on the same page is a MAJOR improvement. The rest is just window dressing.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

Ask and you shall (maybe) receive.

I have just e-mailed the webmaster about the color scheme. Hopefully I will hear something today about it. I am also going to look thru the control panel settings and see what options might be nice here. I know that avatars and images are out of the question, but who knows what else there might be.

OrneryMod

Sancselfieme
unregistered

Also, please don't do sticky threads, they make the new layout even *more* tacky. They have a tendency to add up and neither one is really essential (ie: they're not rules, forum maintenance announcements, etc.) If threads are valuable, good, and useful then they'll stay alive on their own. Threads that have the last response should always be at the top, maybe if you could get them to stick at the bottom it would be ok, but sticky posts are for gamer and teen forums.

[ May 28, 2004, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Sancselfieme ]

TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egad.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

I just got an e-mail from the web master and he is going to try and get the old color scheme back by the end of the day.

There are two features that I saw on the control panel that I have asked about. I would like to get others opinions.

First, is the REPLY WITH QUOTE. I do not know exaclty what this looks like but I think it might help out with some of the confusion people have when replying to other members.

Second, there is a feature called MESSAGE EDITING TIME LIMIT. This means that after a period of time, to be set by the webmaster, a post can not be edited, at least by the poster. I do not know if that means that the Mod can still edit the post.

Let me know what you think.

OrneryMod

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really dont like the layout, the font, or the insane ammount of scrolling I just had to do to get to the bottom page.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

Ok I just got permission to turn on the two features I talked about. Try them out and let's see what everyone thinks.

On the Message Editing time limit, I am going to set it for 15 minutes. I figure that would be enough time to proof read your post and edit any little mistakes.

OrneryMod

OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

quote:
Originally posted by WarrsawPact:
I liked the old version better.

I'm scrolling an awful lot now, because this forum squeezes the reply boxes (and everything else) down to a third of my screen.

Can we go back? Please?

Ok at the top of every post, next to the profile and edit buttons, is a set of quotation marks. This is the REPLY WITH QUOTE function. Above is how it looks in the thread.

I would recomend people be careful using this as it puts the entire post in the reply. You can probably edit what is in it but lets be careful out there.

OrneryMod

[ May 28, 2004, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

kelcimer
unregistered

I would like the "New Topic" and "Post Reply" buttons being their old size.

The "Quick Reply" feature seems unnessersary to me. How many ways do we really need to post? It just adds that much more space to the "Hop To" bar.

Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

Ahhh. Good Job Mod.

These forums are starting to look better, and I like some of these new features.

Things that have improved:

• 1. The screen is back to fullscreen, much better.
  • 2. We have the good colors back, not orange and blue.
  • 3. The font is back to normal (for the most part)
  • 4. Quick Rely is nice, but before I was worried that the small area would promote posting smaller posts. Not the case anymore.
  • 5. Testing out to see if this list thing works. Lets hope it does.

kelcimer
unregistered

I like the quote thing and am glad that the colors got fixed.
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

It is not just me. It is the webmaster being willing to work with me.

Please understand that the webmaster works on many different site, not just Ornery, so he may not be able to address all our concerns right away.

OrneryMod, Always trying to please(my wife).

kelcimer
unregistered

Why for isn't the newest member announced under the registered members number any more? That should come back.
Serotonin'sGone
Member # 1219

- posted      Profile for Serotonin'sGone   Email Serotonin'sGone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just noticed that the "delete post" option appears to be gone too. No more worries about the thread starter deleting the thread...
Posts: 1117 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

huh. I've deleted three or four of my posts. (two I felt were just causing people to scroll more, one because it was a oneliner that really needed to be affter a particular post but I didn't do it quickly enough, and it seems to me one other that I can't seem to remember.)

I like having it as an option, but some people have really taken it to far. It is probably better that it is gone. Perhaps if we want to have a post deleted we could ask OM to do so?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page