Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Last Comic Standing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Last Comic Standing
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, who other than me has watched the new season--now on NBC, not just comedy central--of The Last Comic Standing?

Granted, it was tonight and last night, so you best not have been sleeping.

Who do you like?

I particularly like Kathleen Madigan and that silly boy whose name I can't remember.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocketman
Member # 1528

- posted      Profile for rocketman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't realize it was on again Wednesday. Bummer. Anyway, I haven't really made any decisions about who I like or not. I was highly entertained by the...persistence of Buck Star. And when they finally let him in, he wasn't horrible. Maybe we'll see him in a future season. Anyway, I loved the last round. Hopefully this one is just as good.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musket
Member # 552

- posted      Profile for musket         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what is this? American Idol for comedians?
Posts: 1524 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
musket

Sort of. I did watch it. I was surprised at some of the people they let through. Of course I don't think you see their whole set. just clips.

I find it interesting that the husband/wife team made it. That could make for some interesting dynamics in the house.

Buck did not make it to the final 40. I think that the original two judges let him do his bit before to crowd to reward his tenacity. That is the type of dedication that they should be looking for in a contestant. And you are right, he didn't suck. He was not as good as the ones who moved on though.

msquared

Posts: 3992 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musket
Member # 552

- posted      Profile for musket         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, haven't seen it and won't, unless at a friend's house, since we don't get any reception here and don't much care.

Seems to me, though, that any comic worth his or her salt would be razzing this idea to high heaven. Too bad Bill Hicks isn't still with us.

Posts: 1524 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know.

The producers went to 8 or 9 cities and had audtions, usually hundreds in each city. They would then invite 10-20 back in each city to perform at a local comedy club in front of a real aucdience. They would then judge that performance to see which would go to NY for the next round. At that round there were the two original judges, plus three other new judges, such as Colin Quinn, and the crowd at a popular NY comedy club. Some of these guys had worked the local clubs for up to 16 years.

The 40 were then cut down to 20 and these 20 are going to Las Vegas for the next round. I think they cut it to 10, and then those 10 go to LA and live in a house. Each week two are picked for a "joke off" where each puts on an routine and the crowd determines who goes and who stays.

msquared

Posts: 3992 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly like American Idol for comics, except some of the contestants actually have talent, and without the teeny-bopper factor.

It's awesome. I liked the comedy central rules better, tho.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Major Stubble
Member # 1820

- posted      Profile for Major Stubble   Email Major Stubble   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you imagine being the two judges that went to the 9 cities? I watched parts of the tour, and I think that I was even tired of the Arnold Govinator jokes and impersonations.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was seriously pissed in the first season when the most talented guy there (Dave Mordal) lost to Dat Phan, who ultimately won. Have you seen the episode where they went against each other? All the other comics are laughing and smiling during Dave's set, and just looking at their watches during Dat's millionth impression of his Vietnamese mom. (ugh) Who voted for that hack?!
Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocketman
Member # 1528

- posted      Profile for rocketman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dat and Dave's talent aside, you've got to consider the fact that "all the other comics" hated Dat. Most of them behaved like junior high kids in that their dislike for Dat (or whoever the majority was ganging up on at the time) kept them completely closed off to the possibility that Dat might be funny at all, let alone funnier than Dave. And wasn't it the audience who determined who won?

(Please excuse my pea soup coherency.)

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet, the hide and go seek episode is STILL one of the funniest tv moments I've ever witnessed.

Dave Mordal rocked.

That said, I decided not to watch this season because of this.

I know, I know - most reality isn't reality - but still, it bummed me out [Smile] .

Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of comics, has anyone seen George Lopez lately? Wow, he looks great.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

Oh they're both so funny.

But Carey sold out when ABC had Whose Line, did he not?

This might explain some of the nonsense in the NY round.

Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got pretty bummed and stoped watching after the first couple guys got voted off (I disagreed with both audiences...)

But I'm glad Dat one. He probably wasn't the funniest person there, but he had thebest story. OPL's links lead me to believe that may have been the reason he won, in fact.

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dat's comedy is funny... for about five minutes. I'd like to see him do a half-hour "Comedy Central Presents" set. I think he'd suck. Imitating his mother can only go so far before getting tired. His material is far too limited. Thankfully, I don't expect he will have much of a wide career.

OTOH, I would LOVE to see Dave Mordal do a special. Anybody seen one? The guy is funny because he can make great comedy out of all situations. Dat is NEVER funny outside of his material. Example:
quote:
Dave Mordal: I'd like people to know that Rich Vos did all of our ironing and clothes washing. As masculine as he is, he loves taking care of clothes. He was especially mindful of the women's under things. He'd even smell them to make sure they were as clean as they could possibly be. How many men would go to those extremes? He's going to make some gal very happy one day. And probably only for one day. Me? I made coffee. That's my only talent. Even in a rough environment, I need Java. I used the garbage disposal to grind the beans, and at times made my own filters out of toilet paper, but we had coffee. Good coffee.

There is a rumor that Cory is carrying my baby, but I've yet to see test results.

quote:
Dat Phan: Pain plus time is funny; Truth is funnier. I miss all the free food in the house.
I rest my case.
Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

Read Jay Mohr Puts Out the Call for 'Last Comic Standing'. Jay is a network sellout, and I hope the comedy community shuns him for it.
Zyne
Member # 117

Oh, I hate the 'really helping people' crap. Such an obvious lie.
drewmie
Member # 1179

Makes me think of the "they deserve education too" crap regarding idiot football stars who get into colleges they'd never qualify for.

It's not a matter of WHETHER it's good to help. It's a matter of WHICH people most deserve the help. In this case, the best comics should be chosen. No excuses.

[ June 17, 2004, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: drewmie ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page