Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Two thousand posts ALREADY? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Two thousand posts ALREADY?
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! 948 posts!
Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I said when I left that certain persons would be passing me in my extended absence.

My word count trashes his though.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
949 now! I'm really cooking!
Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

950! At this rate, I'll pass up javelin and WarrsawPact in...um, about two months!
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fascinating observance of a great virtual race to nowhere.
I ask the following without particularly focusing on the starter of this thread or anyone else at Ornery...but I do notice this phenomena on a wide variety of Forums (or is that "fora").

What's the end goal or purpose of keeping track of your post count, and seeking recognition for it? Why do people feel the need to congratulate others for reaching some arbitrary number of posts?

Should we give a person that reaches some arbitrary post count...a pencil with their name on it?

lol

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that it is an indicator of how much a member actively participates on the forum. Taken with other facts you can probably figure out other things about the member. Taking into account the amount of time someone has been a member along with their total post count could tell you haw active that person is on the forum. This can of course lead to silly comparison envy and nonsense posts made simply to inflate ones post count, but I generally don't see that on this forum, though I have seen it elsewhere. On this forum I find it to be a simple way to catch up on who the active members are when I have been away for a while.

Of course when combined with other statistics, like the percentage of a posters posts that start threads as compared to those that respond to threads, it can lead to some interesting observations, but I don't see those kinds of statistics being tracked here.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've reached the all important post number 3,369!!!!!!!!!!

Darn...I just realized that by posting this, I'm now at post number 3,370.

My short stay at the all important post number 3,369 was sadly short lived, and I did not have a real chance to bask in the glory of well wishes and congratulations from you all for such a landmark achievement.

Now I'll have to wait until I hit the next great landmark post number, 4,982. [Frown]

[ May 11, 2006, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Daruma28 ]

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Work:
I suppose that it is an indicator of how much a member actively participates on the forum. Taken with other facts you can probably figure out other things about the member. Taking into account the amount of time someone has been a member along with their total post count could tell you haw active that person is on the forum. This can of course lead to silly comparison envy and nonsense posts made simply to inflate ones post count, but I generally don't see that on this forum, though I have seen it elsewhere. On this forum I find it to be a simple way to catch up on who the active members are when I have been away for a while.

Of course when combined with other statistics, like the percentage of a posters posts that start threads as compared to those that respond to threads, it can lead to some interesting observations, but I don't see those kinds of statistics being tracked here.

yeah.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daruma28:
I've reached the all important post number 3,369!!!!!!!!!!

Darn...I just realized that by posting this, I'm now at post number 3,370.

My short stay at the all important post number 3,369 was sadly short lived, and I did not have a real chance to bask in the glory of well wishes and congratulations from you all for such a landmark achievement.

Now I'll have to wait until I hit the next great landmark post number, 4,982. [Frown]

That's when you get your pencil.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

LMAO..you are quite the chipper quipper, canuck! [Big Grin]
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only reason I look at post count is to decide how much slack to cut somebody.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The few number of posts the more slack?

Note this is my 663rd post. [Wink]

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Wish I had some statistics on my average word count, most commonly used words, etc...

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

Here's my 3500th post:

quote:
Welcome to Ornery, landshark.

You Are Wrong.

At least I'm still ahead of Funean! Fooneen? Funyan?

[ July 25, 2006, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foo. Neen.

Only the Drake is allowed to refer to me as a crunchy snack food, because he made me laugh that time.

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post 5000, and the last one for a while.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnLocke
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JohnLocke   Email JohnLocke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Drake. You are prolific in spite of your knack for being thorough. A cybersalute to you.

Come back soon, I look for your posts.

Posts: 663 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Drake.

Dave,

What exactly were you saying you could determine? You lost me. I don't know about anybody else, but as someone who does start threads, I try to be sure a subject is important before I start a thread about it. Which is why I suggested the MC thread, so we wouldn't waste forum time on "How you doing? How'bout them Astros?" threads.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't really my 7,001 post. I double posted and deleted once, but the counter still counted it. Sorry. I wasn't trying to cheat. [Smile]

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

5000!

Have I stopped to smell the roses?

Have I!!??

Yes, I have.

[Smile]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page