Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Peter Pan and copyright law....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Peter Pan and copyright law....
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The copyright on Peter Pan is about to expire; in response, the hospital to which Barrie left the copyright upon his death is seeking another author to write an "official sequel" to the books in order to extend the copyright for another century. Is this kosher? Is it something that copyright law was intended to permit?
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sancselfieme
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That must be one awfully rich hospital.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read in the introduction to my copy of the book that the British Parliment passed a special "bill" (or whatever they call it) that gave the copyright to the orphanage in perpetuity. Is this American copyright you're talking about?
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the story I read, the European rights run out in 2007. Perhaps the British rights have been superceded by the EU?
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might not have been the original intent of the copyright law but having replacement authors has been done before to keep franchises from dying along with the author. I'm not aware of any successful challenges to copyright under replacement authors but then there's not been many.

If nothing else they could novelize the Disney "Return to Neverland" movie.

I was rolling around the idea of applying for the job of writing the sequels. They're asking for a resume and a sample chapter. I was thinking maybe some form of erotic thriller...Peter Pan and the Tent of Doom.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 374

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
With the EU rights due to run out in 2007 and the US rights in 2023, the hospital hopes a sequel will extend its rights over the famous characters which have yielded large royalties from film versions.

In the UK, a form of protection and royalties are guaranteed in perpetuity by an exceptional clause in 1988 copyright legislation, but in much of the world copyright has now expired.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/3582220.stm
Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, copyright law has changed significantly since its inception. Although a hospital makes a much more sympathetic corporate entity than Disney, my personal feeling is that copyright law has gone too far in protecting corporate copy "rights".
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLMyers
Member # 1983

- posted      Profile for JLMyers   Email JLMyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with DD (DonaldD not Dare Devil) What's to stop anyone from writing X number of pages of crap and calling it a sequal in order to keep the rights?
Posts: 2007 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The changes in copyright that have happened is they were written with individuals in mind. They are now being used by corporations, those wonderful legal persons we've created. Although this is a bit of a special case.

We just had an extension not to long ago in the U.S., to protect the sacred status of Mickey Mouse. Go Team Rodent

Dan

P.S.- Has anyone ever seen OSC's thoughts on copyright issues?

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll pass on this one, but you what I'd say [Smile]
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Peter Pan and the Tent of Doom
Subtitled: Thriller Night.
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Cool]
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page