Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » When guns are outlawed, only puppies will have guns

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When guns are outlawed, only puppies will have guns
Mr Xin Ku
Member # 1472

- posted      Profile for Mr Xin Ku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every dog has his day

quote:
PENSACOLA, Fla. - A man who tried to shoot seven puppies was shot himself when one of the dogs put its paw on the revolver's trigger. Bradford said he decided to shoot the 3-month-old shepherd-mix dogs in the head because he couldn't find them a home, according to the sheriff's office.

On Monday, Bradford was holding two puppies — one in his arms and another in his left hand — when the dog in his hand wiggled and put its paw on the trigger of the .38-caliber revolver. The gun then discharged, the sheriff's report said.

I think I better start treating my own dog with a little more respect! [Eek!]
Posts: 233 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least he wasn't killed by a plant.
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Xin Ku
Member # 1472

- posted      Profile for Mr Xin Ku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good criminy! I'm going to have problems sleeping at night now!
Posts: 233 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a sick bastard - felony animal cruelty anyone? How do people live with themselves?
Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're going to die anyway. Is it less horrible because you don't see it? However, this guy is definitely a Darwin Award contender.
Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gruntar
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for gruntar   Email gruntar       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is he sick OPL? Euthanizing unwanted animals is SOP in this country and a bullet to the head is an accepted practice in agriculture. I've seen steel helmets that are placed on the heads of sheep or cattle, a cartridge inserted and detonated. The animal dies fairly quickly. Granted the fellow should have had his dog fixed to begin with, but (at least where I live) it costs a bit of money to have animals euthanized at a shelter. And while the death is a bit more cosmetic at a shelter, it is if anything more traumatizing to the animal that must be uprooted from it's home and taken to a strange place to be killed.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Xin Ku
Member # 1472

quote:
And while the death is a bit more cosmetic at a shelter, it is if anything more traumatizing to the animal that must be uprooted from it's home and taken to a strange place to be killed.
That is a good point. It IS SOP for us to deal with unwanted animals this way. If it is inherently wrong (even fellonius) for us to end an animals life for being unwanted, then Vets shouldn't be allowed to do it, should they? The question about wrong-doing should be about if it was your pet or someone elses, what your intentions were (e.g, were you trying to intimidate an observer), and if the method was humane or not.

Maybe he should just be charged for practicing as a Vet without a license. [Smile] Or he could just argue that he was practicing a belated partial-birth abortion for a dog, and therefore he is well within his rights.

Enfield303
Member # 1996

- posted      Profile for Enfield303   Email Enfield303   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I smell an Honorable Mention in the Darwin Awards [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 48 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enfield303
Member # 1996

- posted      Profile for Enfield303   Email Enfield303   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also had to take care of an overlarge population of critters(farm cats). From personal experiance, the weapon should be of small caliber(.22), and preferably in rifle or carbine form. Why one would hold the animal that one is trying to humanely euthanize, is a little beyond me but I see no wrongdoing in the general idea.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KenBean
Member # 603

- posted      Profile for KenBean   Email KenBean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert Heinlein: (kids say huuunnnnngh?)
"Shoot your own dog...don't delegate it."

I say: "Shoot your own egg-plant too...and all those chicken embryoes too...and all those wheat babies as well." [Smile]
Bean

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is...that is one smart dog!
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit
Member # 1299

- posted      Profile for Kit   Email Kit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having moved to the South in the last couple years I have to say this story made me think of a phrase I've heard quite a few times since I got here.

That dog will hunt!

When I spent soem time in New Zealand we used to joke about how if the sheep, which have about a 50 to 1 ratio with humans there, ever decided to rise up we'd be massively outnumbered, but their lack of opposable thumbs would give us the advantage. After all, we could use guns, knives, and stuff and they couldn't. Now I'm not so sure. [Big Grin]

Posts: 704 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Xin Ku
Member # 1472

I shall adopt that dog . . . he shall be mine . . . and I shall call him . . . Trigger!
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Ku, that name just blows me away!
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brucie
Member # 1991

- posted      Profile for Brucie   Email Brucie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Animal cruelty , nonsense. Puppies are just property. He owns them. If he took them to the pound, the pound would just kill them for him. Gassing isnt any more "humane" then shooting. Maybe next time he will just put them in a gunny sack and throw them into the river.
( ouch, I feel the animal lovers whacking me with their nerf bats ) I just took 3 kittens down to the "heavens gate" foundation where they find people who are addicted to animals...and they take them into their homes and feed them until homes are found.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say he deserved it.

Seriously - don't want to bother to take the time to find a home for the puppies? SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR EFFING ANIMALS!!!

The guy was an asshat and deserved it. It's cruelty.

Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunil Carspecken
Member # 1453

- posted      Profile for Sunil Carspecken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not any more cruel than killing cows or chickens
Posts: 333 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

Are you killing them to eat them? Is it serving a purpose other than "I can't find a home for these animals"?

I personally don't eat meat or chicken, so...

Sunil Carspecken
Member # 1453

- posted      Profile for Sunil Carspecken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so if you eat the puppies its ok?
Posts: 333 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enfield303
Member # 1996

When was the last time you had Sweet and Sour Poodle...I mean Pork? [Big Grin]
Brucie
Member # 1991

- posted      Profile for Brucie   Email Brucie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A box of shells is cheaper then going to the vet to spay and nueter . [Eek!]
Posts: 22 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gruntar
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for gruntar   Email gruntar       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Little Saigon there is no such thing as an unwanted animal. [Big Grin]

Actually one of my favorite mexican restaurants in Bakersfield is next door to a veterinary clinic. My daughter and I like to eat and play "guess what's in the chile verde".

Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gruntar
Member # 1986

Anyone have any good recipes for cat?
Enfield303
Member # 1996

Cats are good for 2 things....Dog food, and target practice [Big Grin]
gruntar
Member # 1986

You forgot chile verde and eggrolls Enfield.
gruntar
Member # 1986

Neighbor's barking dog on a kaiser roll also sounds good. [Wink]
Enfield303
Member # 1996

Fresh feline in a cilantro, lime, garlic sauce. My Rottweiler LOVES it!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

- posted      Profile for Shane Roe   Email Shane Roe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kitty loves Dutch oven Rott!
Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page