Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Kerry says, "I'm going to give you a tax cut"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kerry says, "I'm going to give you a tax cut"
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kerry's new line to the middle class is "I'm going to give you a tax cut".

Now Kerry's saying that in the context of repealing the Bush tax cut on people who make more than $200,000 per year. But he's really hitting the "I'm going to give you a tax cut" line hard.

Now from reading Kerry's website, he's not proposing a middle class tax cut and I'm wanting to get the story straight.

Is Kerry talking about not repealing Bush's middle class tax cut as being Kerry's "I'm going to give you a tax cut"?

Or does Kerry have a real middle class tax cut out there somewhere that I've not heard the details of? (and if it exists, I'd greatly appreciate a url if you have it so I can read the details)

Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naldiin
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Naldiin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kerry is going to give us a tax cut? How does that work with his constant whinning about the federal debt? I smell voodoo economics...
Posts: 239 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/economy/ download the pdf file.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh, this is the first time I'd really looked at Kerry's proposals. I generally like it: The bulk of the money is made up by taxing overseas operations of US companies and very wealthy individuals, while a large part of the money is spent encouraging investment and job creation at home.

A pro-American-worker tax plan. Who would have thought! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so mercantilist it *almost* makes sense!
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Van Aaron
Member # 98

- posted      Profile for Van Aaron   Email Van Aaron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you jack up taxes on overseas operations of American companies, they will respond by spinning them off into foreign entities that our tax laws can't reach. It's all part of Kerry's master plan to wreck our economy through protectionism. (Luckily, none of it would get through Congress anyway.)
Posts: 997 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so patriotic.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 407

- posted      Profile for Snowden   Email Snowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you jack up taxes on overseas operations of American companies, they will respond by spinning them off into foreign entities that our tax laws can't reach.
Doesn't that depend on the tax burden and benefits of those respective nations? I can imagine that it would still in the best interests of that company, on penalty of losing the benefits that come along with doing business with the US, to remain US companies. Unless, of course, the demand for such and such product is high in the host nation, while the tax burden is low, and this company doesn't have any US subsidiaries we could gouge.

[ October 12, 2004, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Snowden ]

Posts: 971 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very few corporations operate directly abroad; an American corporation will typically use a foreign-organized entity for foreign operations, sometimes with several companies in between, organized in various places.

We can tax the foreign activities of a US company's foreign subsidiary if, when and how our laws say we can. We tax some of that now.

IMO the major problem with Kerry's plan is codifying the economic substance doctrine, because once that's done then the tax bar has a(nother) bright line law that they can dance on without stepping over. Hopefully, someone'll talk him out of it.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page