Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » ABC: "I'm a little concerned about this notion everybody wants us to be objective"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ABC: "I'm a little concerned about this notion everybody wants us to be objective"
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.theomahachannel.com/politics/3833789/detail.html

"I'm a little concerned about this notion everybody wants us to be objective," Jennings said.

And I'm a little concerned that you seem to think everybody wants you to be objective is some kind of notion.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jennings said the media is now under the hot lights.

"I'm a little concerned about this notion everybody wants us to be objective," Jennings said.

Jennings said that everyone -- even journalists -- have points of view through which they filter their perception of the news. It could be race, sex or income. But, he said, reporters are ideally trained to be as objective as possible.

"And when we don't think we can be fully objective, to be fair," the anchorman said."

The context of what Jennings said makes it clear he's just offering silly platitudes, not tossing out the notion of objectivity.

The reality is that people can never be objective, but, I think, journalists can be. Newsanchors like Jennings, I suspect, are neither.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was concerned when I read that quote on Drudge, but as always (especially with Drudge) I read on - and the whole statement is hardly as scary as all that - he's just admitting inherent bias, inability to be completely objective, while reaffirmning that good reporters are as objective as possible. Pretty reasonable, you ask me [Smile]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps people cannot be objective. But a news organization should have that as its goal.

As opposed to perhaps an ABC exec sending out memos saying they were no longer going to be objective in the presidential race. Or an anchor coming out and saying "Objectivity? What weird notion will they come up with next??"

Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page