Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Next Step for The Democrats?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Next Step for The Democrats?
John L
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for John L   Email John L   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which process do you think will be first on the agenda?

1.Impeachment of Bush?

OR

2.Blaming Kerry for the Loss of the White House?

Posts: 885 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 What we have seen on this forum.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently it is to declare those in the electorate who voted for Bush, or anyone else other than Kerry less than smart. Abandon civil discourse and constructive political activity. And run to some other nation.

Hopefully they will adopt Senator Kerry's concession speech and stick around, engage in civil and active political debate, and not assume that others who didn't back gore or Kerry are mindless neocons or sheep.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If McCullife stays in charge of the DNC, I can't help but wonder if the Clintons had a part in engineering Kerry's loss.

I mean, the top Clinton Advisors were advising Kerry, It would be very easy for them to send the ship just a little off keel, and cost Kerry the election. McCullife stays in charge, and Hillary's setup perfectly for 2008.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The next step is going to be getting through the next 4 years, minimizing what they think of as damage (whether it is actually damaging or not is yet to be seen). They will probably start preparing for the 2008 election, though a million things will change between now and then. Hopefully they will arrive on a moderate solution rather than a more polarizing step left.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lewkowski
Member # 2028

- posted      Profile for Lewkowski   Email Lewkowski       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think she can win in 2008. Only if the Republicans pick a horrible person in their primaries to win.
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bearcatmark
Member # 1507

- posted      Profile for bearcatmark   Email bearcatmark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another Clinton conspiracy theory..gotta love those.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were I a Democrat, I would immediately abandon the party and support Schwarzenegger (can't even spell it) for president: fiscally conservative, socially liberal.

The split clearly points to a moderate majority; how else can one explain a huge turnout for candidates that nobody particularly liked ...?

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except Arnold is not eligible for the spot.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I expect the Democrats as we know them to come to something of an end in the near future. Richard is correct in that the best chance the Dem's have of getting anyone elected is to go with a fiscal conservative/socially liberal dude. And on foreign policy... wait for Iraq to turn in to Viet Nam, and if it doesn't (Allah willing) celebrate the successful state we've built there and move on.

-Ivan

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of the above--though in many respects the election was Kerry's to lose.

IMO, the party needs to come out swinging, and hard, on policy matters. For the next two years, the Dems need to make even more noise than Kerry made on Iraq, Sudan, the economy, jobs, health care, education... offer clear, concise criticisms of administration or Repub actions or inactions, and alternatives to the things they're complaining about. Complain about the press to the other press. Tell the country what is wrong, why those things are wrong, and what they will do to fix it.

In other words, do the things that could have won this election.

And ignore the under-30 crowd, don't even bother to attempt to mobilize. They're either already voting or they're not going to.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ben5
Member # 1488

- posted      Profile for ben5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I expect them to try to make sure that Bush doesn't do permanent damage to the United States
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"And ignore the under-30 crowd, don't even bother to attempt to mobilize. They're either already voting or they're not going to."
I think your insight on this point is very true. From what I have researched, despite MTV's (and various 527's) huge efforts to get out the youth vote, the numbers of young people at the polls have stayed virtually the same since the 2000 Presidential election.

[ November 03, 2004, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: FIJC ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least they didn't decline!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Ricardo
Member # 1678

- posted      Profile for David Ricardo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's wrong. Youth turnout did go up this year.

On the other hand, youth turnout as a percentage of the total turnout did not change this year.

Conclusion: Youth turnout went up, but so did the "old fogie" turnout.

Posts: 1429 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for John L   Email John L   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
speaking of getting on topic, what does anyone think of the two questions at the top?
Posts: 885 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 407

- posted      Profile for Snowden   Email Snowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are not exhaustive. Take a week off, then get rid of all policy wonks-- including Carville and Begala, policy sci and history professors, move to Kansas with a bunch of true believing theologians and philosophers, and figure out what it means to be a political party in 21 century America.
Posts: 971 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Kerry will be blamed. Gore was, and the Republicans blamed GHWB and Dole, as well.

Impeachment? Not likely.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jim beam
Member # 2135

- posted      Profile for jim beam   Email jim beam       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impeach the warmongering neo con born again christian fanatic.
Besides chances are the election are some massive right wing conspiracy. Right!
And Laura Bush is just too sickeningly even handed and nice that she has to be lying! Impeach her too!

Posts: 71 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TCB
Member # 1677

- posted      Profile for TCB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John L. asked:
quote:
Which process do you think will be first on the agenda?

1.Impeachment of Bush?

OR

2.Blaming Kerry for the Loss of the White House

While we're disappointed with his re-election, most moderate Democrats will be willing to work with Bush. But in order for that to happen Bush must less aggressively pursue some policies that Democrats strongly oppose, and perhaps even support some issues that are important to Democrats. After all, why would I support a president with whom I disagree on almost every important issue in America?

I realize that such conciliatory positions will disconcert many conservatives, but it's what Bush must do if he's serious about uniting America. I'm hopeful that he will.

Posts: 824 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's just think back at what the Democrats did to heal the contusions and abrasions following their landslide victories in the old days .... I was trying to do just that, and I don't think there's anything to be learnt from them, Zyne; so I would agree with you. Attack. And, as I said elsewhere, attack them on their morals; that's where the Republicans are most vulnerable. Democrats wear their hearts on their sleeves; Republicans these days wear their crosses on their sleeves.

Nor should we confuse 'conservatives' with 'reactionaries'. Shake hands but no kissies!

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that Senator Harry Reid will be the next minority leader. A pro-life democrat may be just what the party needs to move back to center and abandon the leftists that have overtaken the party recently. I would be tempted to vote for conservative democrats who are not obstructionists like Daschle.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page