Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » And the Nation Heals...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: And the Nation Heals...
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol

Just been reading a ton of boards today.

Boy, you guys have your work cut out for you. I've never seen such a deep rift. Some might say it is just the tension being released, but I've seen custody battles more civil.

A House divided...

You have all my best wishes, folks. Good luck.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TCB
Member # 1677

- posted      Profile for TCB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As moderate Democrat, I'm willing to be more supportive of Bush's second term provided he makes some concessions to people like me. Many Democrats refused to stand behind Bush because they believed he pandered to the religious right through his policies and appointments, refusing to compromise or find common ground with his opposition.

If Bush wants to win the support of people like me he should appoint moderates to important positions in his administration. Furthermore, while I accept that it's his prerogative to appoint conservatives to judicial appointments, they should be moderate, not hard-line.

I'm hopeful that Bush is serious about uniting America now that he is no longer fighting for re-election. If he is pragmatic and reasonable, many Democrats will be willing to meet him halfway. Perhaps with broader support Bush will be able to solve some of the great problems of America and will be remembered as a very successful president.

Posts: 824 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anonymous24
Member # 1468

- posted      Profile for Anonymous24   Email Anonymous24   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush's second term is not going to be pretty.

Is Bush serious about uniting America? Yeah - uniting America by forcing America to accept his policies. This is what he did during his first term, and because of the success of the election, we have every indication to believe he is going to do even more of it in his second term.

I don't think he will be able to accomplish what he wants to, though. The Bush administration proved itself so inept during his first administration that its likely his second term will be just as dangerous and uncomprimising. None of us really knows what's going on in Iraq, and the experts say its going to hell in a handbasket. Of course, the Bush administration denounced the experts as being 'academic' - the same charge they levelled against people who said we would need drastically more troops to secure Iraq, that there was a good chance we would be facing a guerilla insurgency, that the people would view us as occupiers and not liberators. The policies of his administration is Bush's worst enemy.

[ November 03, 2004, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Anonymous24 ]

Posts: 1226 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ben5
Member # 1488

- posted      Profile for ben5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to try to be as supportive as posible to the President, but that's going to be really hard for me because I am of the opinion that Bush is one of the worst presidents ever. I think that the most I really can say supportive of the President right now is that he won the election fairly this time and while I think that America made the Wrong decision yesterday, it's really the direction most americans want their country to go in.
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jim beam
Member # 2135

- posted      Profile for jim beam   Email jim beam       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really is time for the Bush-haters to get over the 2000 election!

That would go along way towards the healing process.
And adopting a simple "being part of the solution" attitude.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol

jim, you are like a soothing balm...A cool breeze of tranquility.

Don't let anyone ever tell you different. Your adeptness at being a peacemaker is unrivalled.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's pretty ugly in here right now. There are some pockets of civility but emotions are running high. I know most people are blowing off some steam by gloating or complaining, so I won't respond to many of the comments. Reading the boards would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I think a lot of the posts are written in the heat of the moment, and like the good ornery Americans we are, we attempt to douse the fires with gasoline. It works wonders.

Ready. Fire. Aim.

Right now, I envy you canadian. It's probably a lot easier for you to keep your head.

Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jim beam
Member # 2135

- posted      Profile for jim beam   Email jim beam       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadian:
lol

jim, you are like a soothing balm...A cool breeze of tranquility.

Don't let anyone ever tell you different. Your adeptness at being a peacemaker is unrivalled.

Thank you, I always knew we had friends up there.

BTW my father dropped out of school in 1939 to enlist with the RCAF.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page