Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Worth a Read

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worth a Read
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get me wrong. The people I meet in small towns and big cities, in diners and office parks, they don't expect government to solve all their problems. They know they have to work hard to get ahead and they want to. Go into the collar counties around Chicago, and people will tell you they don't want their tax money wasted by a welfare agency or the Pentagon. Go into any inner city neighborhood, and folks will tell you that government alone can't teach kids to learn. They know that parents have to parent, that children can't achieve unless we raise their expectations and turn off the television sets and eradicate the slander that says a black youth with a book is acting white. No, people don't expect government to solve all their problems. But they sense, deep in their bones, that with just a change in priorities, we can make sure that every child in America has a decent shot at life, and that the doors of opportunity remain open to all. They know we can do better. And they want that choice [...]

A belief that we are connected as one people. If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief--I am my brother's keeper, I am my sisters' keeper--that makes this country work. It's what allows us to pursue our individual dreams, yet still come together as a single American family. "E pluribus unum." Out of many, one.

Yet even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a liberal America and a conservative America--there's the United States of America. There's not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there's the United States of America. The pundits like to slice-and-dice our country into Red States and Blue States; Red States for Republicans, Blue States for Democrats. But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the Blue States, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the Red States. We coach Little League in the Blue States and have gay friends in the Red States. There are patriots who opposed the war in Iraq and patriots who supported it. We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America [...]

In the end, that is God's greatest gift to us, the bedrock of this nation; the belief in things not seen; the belief that there are better days ahead. I believe we can give our middle class relief and provide working families with a road to opportunity. I believe we can provide jobs to the jobless, homes to the homeless, and reclaim young people in cities across America from violence and despair. I believe that as we stand on the crossroads of history, we can make the right choices, and meet the challenges that face us. America!

-Barack Obama

for the full speech:

http://www.dems2004.org/site/apps/nl/content3.asp?c=luI2LaPYG&b=131063&ct=158769

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EvanWeeks
Member # 883

- posted      Profile for EvanWeeks   Email EvanWeeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, that man can speak.
Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adjudicator
Member # 724

- posted      Profile for Adjudicator   Email Adjudicator   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That man is going to take a starring role in national politics in the coming years, no doubt about it.
Posts: 1172 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I saw a debate between he and Alan Keyes on C-SPAN last week. It was wonderful. Even though I don't agree with Keyes on his issues, I certainly respect the man's thinking.

I wonder if anyone would disagree with Obama's sentiments here.

I just wish the President would say something like this.

Thanks for the post, Canadian.

Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EvanWeeks
Member # 883

- posted      Profile for EvanWeeks   Email EvanWeeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he believes and practices what he preaches over the next 4 years in the senate, I'd be happy to see him make a bid for the presidency in the future. Good to see a man of principle who has the good of the nation foremost in his heart step up and take some responsibility. Huzzah. I might switch to Dem just to be able to vote in the next primary for this guy.
Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swami
Member # 2129

- posted      Profile for Swami   Email Swami   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good selection of excerpts from his convention address.

I found his opponent's remarks compelling, too.

http://www.keyes2004.com/news/041102speech.php

Posts: 55 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But those who succumb to those siren-song words of flattery are leading a people down the road of its own destruction.

And that, sadly, is, in America now, the road that we are on."

Wow. To think Keyes would say this about George Bush. I'm actually speechless.

[Wink]

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EvanWeeks
Member # 883

Yeah, he has a lot of things going for him as well. The difference is I agree with Obama's values (apart from his support for Kerry, which I imagine is party affiliation-based), and I don't agree with Keyes'. *shrug* I tend to vote purely on a) my feel of a candidate's character and b) the issues they've taken definite stands on. Both of these candidates had good character, they both STAND for something. I simply agree with Obama's "something" more than Keyes.
Swami
Member # 2129

- posted      Profile for Swami   Email Swami   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the final remarks from both Barack Obama and Alan Keyes in their last debate showed class. The question was the cliche'd "tell me something you admire about your opponent." Alan Keyes included Obama's convention address at the top of his admire list, so there's at least something about which Keyes and EvanWeeks agree.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EvanWeeks
Member # 883

*laughs* True, Swami. [Smile]
Weezah
Member # 2003

- posted      Profile for Weezah   Email Weezah   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This, as I mentioned in another thread, is how the democratic party could take back the nation, by going back to its core values. I would love to see this played out more.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are beautiful words. I wish that I could see his name without thinking of what was done to clear the path for him politically. Has he ever addressed that directly? Has any interviewer ever asked him if he was involved or knew about the dirty digging on Ryan?
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WillBest
Member # 1833

- posted      Profile for WillBest   Email WillBest       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am interested in Obama. Although, I do to some extent pity him. He is the only black senator, which means as far as the NAACP is concerned he doesn't just represent Illinois, he represents all minorities in the country, and they will push their liberal agenda. This is not a good position to be in, because Illinois does have a lot of conservatives in it, and I think they are putting their trust him to compromise. So he has a very fine line to walk, but I think he will succeed, and I suspect he will be tomorrow's leader of the Democrat Party.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ben5
Member # 1488

- posted      Profile for ben5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vote Obama 2012! [Smile]
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone ask if Dole knew about dirty digging on Clinton?

It's politics as ussual. People should have the good sense not to run for office if they have skeletons like that in their closet.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder whether The Boondocks will treat Obama as a good black politician, or as someone like Mr. DuBois (the character that a few weeks ago was running around trying to get people to "Vote or Die") ... [Wink]
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify, from what little I know of him, Obama seems like he'll be a good senator. But since it's the job of comics like The Boondocks to make fun of people ...
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obama has two strikes against him: he's opposed to gay marriage -- and he's a Harvard graduate.
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 407

- posted      Profile for Snowden   Email Snowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. DuBois referred to WEB DuBois, and his character was used to show the problems "gangsta" culture.
Posts: 971 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have followed the guy just about anywhere after hearing him speak on T.V.

I worry about him going into the Senate, though, as far as presidiential aspirations, but really that talk is silly. If all he does is go and be a good and faithful senator from Illinois he'll have accomplished something worthwhile.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he shows himself to represent them well, he'll probably get the chance to serve as Governor of Illinois, and gain executive experience.

If he keeps it in his pants, doesn't smoke crack, and makes sure none of his interns disapear, he's President in 2016.

Of course, that's a long time from now.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page