Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » 2008 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2008
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your dream ticket?

Republican:

John McCain
Elizabeth Dole

Democratic:

Hilary Clinton
Barack Obama

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WillBest
Member # 1833

- posted      Profile for WillBest   Email WillBest       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is too early for Obama. He will be a 2012 if the dems don't get it or a 2016 candidate.

Giuliani/Rice

Clinton/Clinton [wouldn't that be something; yes it is possible]

Clinton/Dean. I really don't know the dems political party all that well.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're right. 2012 for Obama. By 2016 we may be talking a Black President. How amazing would that be?

and so:

Clinton/Dean

sounds pretty good.

But Giuliani/Rice? Good chance, you think? Seems like too much of a stretch...

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for John L   Email John L   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obama will have the very same thing going against him as with all other Senators. US Senators have a steep hill to climb in order to get elected. They have a record for all to see. And it usually isn't nice.

So, if Obama wishes to become a successful contender, the Governor position is the way to go. If he is successful, then running and winning as governor will place him in the driver's seat [Smile]

Posts: 885 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godot
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Godot   Email Godot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McCain/Obama
or
Obama/McCain

Posts: 444 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Republican: David Duke/Jim Bunning

Democrat: Barack Obama/Wes Clark

This way Obama's lack of experience won't be an issue. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ben5
Member # 1488

- posted      Profile for ben5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McCain is too liberal for the republicans and too conservative for some democrats, the same with Giuliani.
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jim beam
Member # 2135

- posted      Profile for jim beam   Email jim beam       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
republican: Pataki/Rice

democrat: Dean/Gore....hehehehe!

Posts: 71 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Republican:

John McCain / Tom McClintock
(Senator - AZ) (State Senator - CA)

For those who haven't already heard, McClintock would have won the governorship in California in the recall race if people had voted what they said they preferred. Many thought only Schwarzenneggar could beat Bustamante, so they fulfilled their own prophecy.

It would be a fantastic SouthWest ticket, and the Republicans in the South and MidWest aren't going anywhere in the next election.

I swear this pair could take California (McCain is just moderate enough and McClintock is VERY popular here, perhaps the only truly Republican icon in the state and able to bring in moderates by the handful) -- especially if Schwarzenneggar is still here in 2008 (and why not?). Count another 55 electoral votes to the party, even if you lose two dozen (or more) elsewhere.

That, and they'd be an insanely responsible pair. Fiscal responsibility would absolutely take over, without quite so much religious overtone on social issues.

They could even re-invite Colin Powell into an accepting White House.

WillBest - Bill can't possibly be Vice President, or in any position that puts him in line for the presidency.

Giuliani doesn't have the pull to be President.
If it comes down to Hillary Clinton running for Prez, run Condi Rice somewhere on the ticket against her. The Democrats couldn't capitalize on the woman-power thing, or the race card, if they were running against a black woman. Condi can stand up under the kind of fire Hillary's lawyer skills would bring, and is very intelligent and resoruceful without being the cold calculating black knight that Hillary is.

Dean is damaged goods until he can pick up the pieces. We don't know how long that will be, because that infamous scream is just punchy enough that it can be rebroadcast time and time again every time his name comes up. The pain is still fresh in a lot of his old supporter's minds.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WillBest
Member # 1833

- posted      Profile for WillBest   Email WillBest       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What reading of the Amendment XXII do you pull that from? It is noteably absent of it. It say NO person shall be ELECTED to the office of the president more than twice. It says NOTHING about persons not elected to the office of the president. So if something should happen to Hillary, he would be president, but could not run again.

This of course is all theory, since this has never been challenged in this manner before. But if Bush appoints a bunch of Thomas/Scalia/Rehnquists to the Court that is the reading they will give it.

"No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term."

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, right, because back when this was written you couldn't even RUN. There was no way to be elected Vice President without running for President itself.

Point given.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dream ticket definitely involves McCain, but I'm not sure who should run with him. As for the democrats I think Clark would be great, especially if we are still considering ourselves to be at war in four years (likely in my mind). Maybe Edwards could tag along again, in an effort to prepare him for a run later. He seems like a perfect VP to me. Good PR man, lots of enthusiasm.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lewkowski
Member # 2028

- posted      Profile for Lewkowski   Email Lewkowski       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think McCain deserves it. Despite some strong disagreements with Bush he loyaly campaigned for Bush.

On the other hand he authored that disasterous campaign finance reform. Something that probably put more money into politics.

Rudy would be nice. If he carries his state that would just about kill the Democrats chances of winning.

If we get around to ammending the constitution GO ARNOLD!

Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Clinton/Clinton [wouldn't that be something; yes it is possible]
I don't think Chelsea's old enough yet. [Wink]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me/My wife

(well we are talking DREAM ticket, right?)

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
R - Pataki/Ron Paul

D - Vilsack or Dean/Any fiscally reponsible House Dem.

Even though I've voted D more than R in my voting history, there aren't that many well known Dem's that I could support.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Powell/McCain

McCain/Powell

Either way. Either party. I know Powell won't run, and I doubt McCain will, but I can dream.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Powell, yeah I think he could run with McCain. I was so worried when Bush appointed Powell Sec. of State. I thought having a former Sec. of Defense in the State position sent the wrong message. Turns out Powell was more interested in diplomacy than the rest of the administration.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

I know people have made comments about thread titles before, but I enjoyed it when the site told me that it was taking me back to 2008. Now I know how Michael J. Fox must have felt!
FIJC
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure about VP, but I have always favored Bill Owens for President in 2008.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with WP- I half-expect to see a Hillary vs. Condi race in 2008.

I mean, how are the Dems gonna win against a Black Woman? Honestly??

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

I have always thought that we would have a black male in office before a woman, black or white.
Van Aaron
Member # 98

- posted      Profile for Van Aaron   Email Van Aaron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Republicans:

McCain would be a strong candidate, but it is very unlikely he could win the Republican primaries - another example of how the system seems designed to weed out all the best candidates.

I would love to see Colin Powell run, but he doesn't seem to want the job. I would also support Condi, but I don't see her having the kind of broad appeal Powell would have.

Bill Owens would also be an excellent candidate, but I don't know that he has the organization to make a serious run at it.

Seems to me the most likely candidates are either Rudy Giuliani or (how could nobody yet have mentioned this?) Jeb Bush continuing the dynasty.

Democrats:

John Edwards has an outside chance. I agree that Obama is still at least eight years away from a serious run. By far the most likely candidate is Hillary Clinton.

(And no, Bill can't be her running mate. The Twelfth Amendment says "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States." As much as I would enjoy watching Bubba torture the language to try to get around that, I think it is exceedingly unlikely that he will.)

Posts: 997 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TCB
Member # 1677

- posted      Profile for TCB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Democratic primary voters are notoriously liberal, Howard Dean's failure demonstrated that they care most about electability. For this reason I doubt that Hillary will be the Democratic candidate in '08. I predict that a governor, perhaps Tom Vilsack or Bill Richardson, will get the nod.
Posts: 824 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mantikor
Member # 2141

- posted      Profile for mantikor   Email mantikor       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to see Hilary run as the Democratic candidate in 2008 - it will clearly show that the Democrats still have not learned the lesson that this election should have taught them and we will be sure to see another Republican in the White House.

Run Hilly Run!

Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"Seems to me the most likely candidates are either Rudy Giuliani or (how could nobody yet have mentioned this?) Jeb Bush continuing the dynasty."
I think that Rudy Guiliani is still too socially liberal to be considered seriously as a nominee in the near future--he would not get the Evangelical vote, which the Republicans still need in order to win a Presidential election in a still heavily polarized nation.

The biggest problem right now for Bill Owens is his marriage, but I think that the infrastructure of a good campaign could still be put together for him--there is still a good amount of time for planning and fundraising, which I believe some folks have already started to talk about. To me, Owens is just the right amount of conservative to make him appealing to the conservative base and also to moderates.

For a VP nominee, I have always been big fan of Sam Brownback. He is a strong conservative, dedicated family man, and also righteous. Plus, he also has that down-to-earth Midwestern charm that I personally like so much, and gather many others would also.

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

FIJC, you mentioned you think a black man will become president before a white woman.

I wondered what your thoughts were on a latino or asian candidate? Even later?

I think a good latino candidate could have a good shot (although I can't think of any at the moment). Asian candidates haven't even been on my radar.

It seems interesting that blacks are generally considered as facing the most racism in America, but they may get more candidates in sooner.

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

I'm unaware of Bill Owens' marriage. Why would his marriage turn off voters?
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"I'm unaware of Bill Owens' marriage. Why would his marriage turn off voters?"
The perception that one is willing to put their career over marriage and family never bodes well with voters, whether that perception is reality or not.

quote:
"I wondered what your thoughts were on a latino or asian candidate? Even later?

I think a good latino candidate could have a good shot (although I can't think of any at the moment). Asian candidates haven't even been on my radar.

It seems interesting that blacks are generally considered as facing the most racism in America, but they may get more candidates in sooner."

I could see the possibility of a Latino Presidential candidate in the near future. Asian? Not really (and I am an Asian female). Generally speaking, there seem to be a lot of Asian Americans who simply do not vote, and Asians have never been a strong political force in America. Politically, Asians tend to be like whites in that they are split almost evenly over party affiliation.
bearcatmark
Member # 1507

- posted      Profile for bearcatmark   Email bearcatmark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Democratic Primary next time: Evan Bayh, John Edwards, maybe Hillary(ok Hillary is my pick to win the nomination if she runs, but I am still not sold on her wanting to be president...Republicans love conspiracy theories on the Clintons, but we'll see what she does.) I don't find hillary to be a bad candidate. Bill governed as a moderate throughout his candidacy, Hillary seems to do well in the senate, is very respected. I don't think she has the ability to relate herself to her constituents like her husband did, or Edwards for that matter. I'd really like to see Evan Bayh take the nomination, however throw Bill Richardson's name around I'd say he'd make a solid candidate.

If Hillary doesn't run i'd say Edwards has the inside track. (however, what the hell is he going to do the next 4 years)

As for the republicans:

I'd like to think Rudi, Pitaki, and McCain have the inside shots. I'd like to think socially liberal, fiscally sound guys could again become the voice of the republican party. However, I don't think the right wing will allow it. So my pick is Bill Frist, and yes...maybe Jeb Bush. (which would make it seem like we really do have a royal family) Frankly I am not sure McCain will even run again. Really the guy i want to see(besides McCain who is just excellent) is Arlen Specter. A solid fiscally sound, moderate conservative who transends party lines. I think he'd make a great candidate for president, however I think until the moderate wing of the republican party gets more of a voice...the far right, christian wing is going to continue to be where the candidates come from.

[ November 04, 2004, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: bearcatmark ]

Posts: 251 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bearcatmark
Member # 1507

- posted      Profile for bearcatmark   Email bearcatmark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I still think Obama will get his shot, and may even be the guy who really bridges the cultural divide for the democratic party....

2012/2016 we'll see when.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lewkowski
Member # 2028

- posted      Profile for Lewkowski   Email Lewkowski       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Democrats don't nominate a southern canadite that can win a southern state they will lose.
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 407

- posted      Profile for Snowden   Email Snowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that's true. I refuse to believe that the majority of southerners are bigots.

[ November 04, 2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Snowden ]

Posts: 971 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WillBest
Member # 1833

I don't think it is that they are bigots, they just don't trust the dems. If Arkansas can support somebody like Clinton, then maybe tenn, ken, etc. might think he is more in touch with their beliefs.

This is just suposition on my part, but I think the first minority or female president will be republican. I think a lot of people will look at a dem minority or female and assume they are more liberal than they really are.

I would be kind of curious to see what a first husband would be like. The campaign tactics in using him, What would be his hallmark issue, etc.

witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
History (the last northern Dem to win was JFK) teaches Dems really need to nominate a Southernor. Another reason I thought Bob Graham had a great resume. But with how bad they've been chased out of the South, who do they run? So maybe the southwest is the new South? Both AZ and NM have Democratic governors, but went Bush. Maybe one of them. A Governor is clearly the ticket.

Hillary wouldn't win. She seems quite unloved outside of Dem moderates. The Left has no love for anyone named Clinton (Nader in 2000 had as much to do with Clinton as Gore) She'd almost be worth it to see the more excitable rightwingers driven insane and behaving like my dog does when there's a squirrel in the tree that he can't reach, but that would be a fleeting satisfaction as she'd lose to any sentient Republican candidate.

Considering how excited the Dem primary voters were about "electability" this year, (however poor judges they were of it) I predict that to double by 2008 and they'll say no thanks, if Hillary runs, which I'm not at all convinced she would want to do.

I think Guiliani will continue to be a figure beloved by many, but you can't go from Mayor to President. I don't know enough about midlevel Republican pols around the country to make any predictions. I think McCain has given up, Cheney can't run with his health. Jeb Bush would just look bad to people. Frist maybe?

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

I don't think McCain has given up. He's WAY too comfortable staying in the spotlight, even when it's not his election.
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think McCain realizes he cannot win the Republican nomination. He can stay in his comfortable spotlight because he's still popular with the media and with independents. The party likes him for that and the respect his ability to make a run and somewhat upset the applecart, so they can do well while doing good by keeping him around and happy.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is just suposition on my part, but I think the first minority or female president will be republican. I think a lot of people will look at a dem minority or female and assume they are more liberal than they really are.

It reminds me of an old Vulcan proverb: "Only Nixon could go to China".
Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpencerHR
Member # 1401

- posted      Profile for SpencerHR   Email SpencerHR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would really like to see a Hillary Clinton-Condi Rice campaign. Those would be the most exciting debates in history. For VPs, I don't know, maybe Obama and McCain? Though in a perfect world, I'd like to see a Republican/Democrat ticket and a Democrat/Republican ticket. Of course, that will never happen.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rice? Other than Breathing While Black, what has she accomplished in office? Yes, she's a respected academic, but she's accomplished jack as NSA, and even admitted she had zero initiative. When asked why she didn't push the terror warnings Tenet was talking about in the summer of '01, she said "i would have if someone had told me to".
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page