Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Changes Lucas should've made in Star Wars.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changes Lucas should've made in Star Wars.
Shane Roe
Member # 1542

- posted      Profile for Shane Roe   Email Shane Roe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's something a little on the lighter side. I'm sure most of you know about or are part of the uproar regarding George Lucas's changes that he made to the newly released Star Wars DVDs. There are probably a few changes that would actually make the movies better . I'm going to name a couple. How about replacing the actor that played Anniken in episode 2? That would make it much better. How about adding an hour to that episode to allow the love story development to seem a little more realistic? All right, what changes would you like to see?

Shane

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new director/writer

Let me put it this way...

Hayden Christensen. I've seen him in other movies, and on television. This kid has some serious acting chops.

Lucas is the only director I can think of who can make it annoying to watch Natalie Portman. now that's an incredible feat! same thing goes for Ewan McGregor. Lucas' directing and writing style make it impossible for these actors to truly shine.

Harrison Ford said it best,

"George, just because you can write this sh*t doesn't mean anyone can actually say it."

[ November 08, 2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before he can open his mouth or utter a sound, a violent, bloody death to one Jar Jar.
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I prefer the old maxim that George should have heeded in the first place....

"If it 'aint broke, don't fix it."

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Jake Lloyd - Replace him immediately, rewrite all his lines. His performance in Episode I was nauseating. Not like anyone could pull off that stupid dialogue.

*Change Jar-Jar's voice, as they did in "the Phantom Edit". (He was given a guttural voice that required subtitles. MUCH better, apparently, though I wonder if it's a hoax because I can't find it.) In fact, remove all the most annoying childish behavior of the Gungans, like the retarded raspberry-ing of the Gungan big boss.

*Hayden Christensen can be forgiven. He was a bit of a whiny little punk in Ep.2, but no big deal. His transformation between the beginning of Ep2 and the previewed scenes of Ep3 looks very promising. Who else can go from a sympathetic, shy face to a totally dark visage of malice whiel pressing a lightsaber nearly to Obi-Wan's neck?
I say, he's mostly a victim of bad writing.

*Do not change Boba Fett's voice in Ep.s 4-6. That was a terrible change.

*Do not show the Emperor's face in the hologram scene where the Emperor is telling Vader that the "son of Skywalker" must not become a Jedi and Vader posits that he could be a great ally. It was much better when you couldn't see his face, how much he had changed.

*No thrusters for R2-D2 in Episode 2. Remove them.

*Make Obi-Wan and Qui-Gonn disagree more with each other in Ep.1. Tension is entertaining, Jedi blathering and conformity is boring.

*Make Darth Maul much more interesting. Give him personality. It's not such an epic fight when you simply do not give a damn about any of the characters fighting. He had no personality, no history, no emotional attachment whatsoever. Why do we hate him? Because he wears black and has horns and a tatooed red and black face and yellow eyes? The fight scene was spectacular, but I just didn't care about the outcome. Qui-Gonn dying was just not a tragedy.

*Get rid of the four-armed cafe owner in Ep2. He had terrible lines, and his mannerisms weren't cute or deep. He was just irritating, over-dramatizing lines that weren't deserving of the tone.

*Yoda and the schoolchildren in Ep2. Pointless, irritating scene.

*Longer fight scene between Anakin and Dooku in Ep2. That fight had SO much promise, especially with Anakin wielding two lightsabers, and if it were lengthened it would have been a *perfect* lead-in to the Yoda-Dooku duel.

[ November 08, 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
General Notes: Let Lucas write the plot, but let Lawrence Kasdan write the scripts and let Kurshner direct.

Episode I
Don't make object of the pod-race to be a 10 minute commercial for a videogame.

Taxation and trade were the issues that initiated Palpatine's rise? Couldn't it have been SSM? Or the assassination of Jar Jar? [Razz]

Don't make the Jedi's powers based on biology. Number of mitichlorites=power in the force, please.

Episode II
Covered by WP

Episode IV
Get "Neal Armstrong" out of the cantina.

Episode VI
The "Battle of Endor" should have been the "Battle of Kashyyk". Good-bye Ewoks, hello Wookies.

Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You meen Dooku vs. Flubber? [Big Grin]

Apperantly, ep. 4 and 5 were greatly influenced by Lucas's wife, from which he got a divorce before ep. 6. From what a friend (who's pretty knowlegable about this type of stuff) says, she had a lot to do with why those two movies were soooo good. And even though ep. 6 was wonderful, you can definitly detect a change in tone of sorts from the first two (real-life chronology) films. I mean, the Ewoks? Common.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about writing a hero into Episode I? Lucas claims to be a campbellian writer but Ep1 had no hero! Couldn't be Anakin, because he doesn't show up until halfway through the movie. Can't be Obi-wan (although it should be) because he gets left behind on the ship for the entire time they're on Tatooine. And it can't be Qui-gonn because he gets killed at the end!

It was also missing a good anti-hero character like Han Solo. As David Brinn put it, it was just a buch of pontificating Jedi and a preachy, green oven mitt.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better?

1) More Klingons.

2) Seamus Harper needs a larger role.

3) G'Kar needs his own lightsaber.

4) Show more of the Emperor tempting Frodo to the Dark Side.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend bought the special edition DVDs the day they came out. He didn't have too many complaints, except that the scroll reading at the beginning of Episode IV was in SPANISH! It was funny, but he took it back for an English version.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Episode I should be scrapped altogether and started over. I think Yoda should use a lightsaber more. I think George Lucas should stop disappointing everyone and make Episode III the best movie in the series, like it COULD be.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curse the editting time limit!

To give my earlier comment some context, I was referring to the battle between Dooku and Yoda, not "The Battle of Endor" or anything from Haggis's post.

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More Jar Jar. Example:

Replace Mannequin Skywalker with Jar Jar. Digitally alter the voice of James Earl Jones in later episodes to be an octave higher, with crazy volume changes so that he too sounds like a muppet.

Jar Jar is running the cloud city instead of Lando.

Jar Jar races one of the pods, where his clumsy mistakes result in victory.

Jar Jar is frozen in carbonite.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Pilot 111
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Star Pilot 111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL [Big Grin]
Posts: 337 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

quote:
Originally posted by The Drake:
More Jar Jar. Example:

Replace Mannequin Skywalker with Jar Jar. Digitally alter the voice of James Earl Jones in later episodes to be an octave higher, with crazy volume changes so that he too sounds like a muppet.

Jar Jar is running the cloud city instead of Lando.

Jar Jar races one of the pods, where his clumsy mistakes result in victory.

Jar Jar is frozen in carbonite.

Well, I like the last one, anyways...
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Haggis:
quote:
The "Battle of Endor" should have been the "Battle of Kashyyk". Good-bye Ewoks, hello Wookies.
Ummm... Actually, it was originally supposed to be the Battle of Kashyyk. But Lucas changed his mind. He's so good at that too, changing his mind. [Wink]

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

Hmm...Empire defeated by cuddly, clever little bear like things, or Empire defeated by rather large, ill-tempered but still clever and occasionally cuddly LARGE bear type things. Tough call. Probably had to do with a shortage of tall actors as much as anything. If he could do it over again (which he might!) he'd probably digitally insert all the wookies.
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Haggis:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ummm... Actually, it was originally supposed to be the Battle of Kashyyk. But Lucas changed his mind. He's so good at that too, changing his mind.

Ed.

Actually, what happened was, Lucas wrote the whole story for epis 4,5 and 6 BEFORE he even filmed a new hope. He thought he could cram it all in to one movie. When he realized he couldn't, he cut it up and used the first part as his script. At this point the 2nd death star battle was above Kashyyk, occupied by wookies. Since he was unsure if he would ever get to make the second and third movies (very unlikely at the time), and since he loved the wookies so much, he changed the script and put Chewie in as Han's co-pilot. All well and good until he gets around to actuall making epi 6, and Wookies have been established as too advanced a species for the forest dwelling primitives demanded by the story. So, in Lucas's own words, he "cut them in half and called the Ewoks." Getit, woo-kie, e-wok? Anyway, thats how that happened. As for changes, I really wish Qui Gon had hung around as a glowing force being like Obi wan does later. And before he dies, Darth Maul should have done something useful, like opening up a can on Jar Jar with that bad-a$$ed double lighsaber [Big Grin] .
Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

I'm pretty sure that Darth Maul had four lines in the entirity of that film, and three of them were some variation on "yes, my lord". [Frown]
kelcimer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucas should have died just after he said he was going to do the prequel. That way the people in charge would have gone, "Lets get great writers on this, a great director and stuff so that this would be as good as if Lucas had done it!" that way we would have had good movies and we would all havehad the dream of, "but wouldn't it be cool if Lucas had lived to finish them?" instead of living with the very disappointing reality.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towellman
Member # 1462

- posted      Profile for towellman   Email towellman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed, Lucas just sucks. A burnt out light bulb. There is nothing novel, original, well directed, realistic in episodes 1 & 2. A promising Jr. High student could have written better stuff.
Posts: 220 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naldiin
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Naldiin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the best revision yet:
Delete Episodes 1 and 2. Don't finish episode 3. Rerelease pre-special edition episodes 4-5-6.

And be DONE with it.

If that doesn't work:
Come up with large scale battles that make sense. Even Robots arn't dumb enough to walk in formation when the enemy might have fully-automatic weapons.

Bring back Harrison Ford. 'Nuff said.

Have episode 3 contain no less than ten minutes of Warhammer 40k Dreadnaught taking apart Jar Jar Binks.

Cut the political commentary. No one cares about your transparent allusions to current politics.

Go back to a Force that isn't biological, but is abstract and ethereal. It was better.

Stop trying to make a serious movie. It was better when half of star-wars was a joke, and the other half was a shoe-string budget. If I wanted serious romance and tension, I wouldn't be watching Star Wars.

Posts: 239 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adjudicator
Member # 724

- posted      Profile for Adjudicator   Email Adjudicator   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it were up to me I would take out all of the crap that jars me out of my "suspension of disbelief". The ewoks are horrible. I mean, come on, what the hell is the stormtrooper armor for if we know it doesn't stop blasters but it also can't even stop arrows shot by teddy bears? Ditto with armored walkers getting smashed by trees, stormtroopers dumb enough to open their walker hatch during battle etc. A better effect could have been achieved using natives to lead them on secret paths to bypass defenses or something.

Kill Jar Jar

Make the republic reasonable. Why would anyone want the republic back if it sucked as badly as portrayed?

As mentioned, lose the biological force aspects, virgin mary etc. Give us a hero we care about in Ep 1.

Make little darth believable. What, he can build a podracer from spare parts but he is too dumb to escape from slavery? He is a compassionate jedi knight but he doesn't care enough about his mom to go rescue her from slavery?

Lose R2's jets.

Don't make everything so bloody inbred. Yeah, darth vader built C3PO because he really, really needed a protocol droid on tatooine. There is a big demand there for protocol droids, especially for slaves.

Make believable robots. Why would anyone spend exorbitant amounts of money for something which can be destroyed by... well, anything.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about slavery that looks like slavery instead of a kid playing in a junk yard and a comming home to a nice condo?
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molonel
Member # 1667

- posted      Profile for Molonel   Email Molonel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
How about slavery that looks like slavery instead of a kid playing in a junk yard and a comming home to a nice condo?

Oh, nice one!

I refuse to watch Episode II, ever, and I have now successfully blocked the memory of Episode I from my mind - although, sometimes, when it rains, I feel this inexpressible and undefined sadness - so I can't say what changes should have been made.

Posts: 182 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have Han gun down a few other bar patrons just to make up for the clownistry.

Give Lucas a time-limit on how much CGI he can use.

No more robot, genetically engineered or otherwise nonsenteint armies. Give people a believable reason to follow Palpatine.

The second movie had the Tusken Raider massacre played absurdly coyly. How are we to be scared by what Anakin does in the grip of anger if we see none of it.

Resurrect "Empire" writer Leigh Brackett.

I'll second most of those mentioned.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Camp
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Jon Camp   Email Jon Camp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
1) More Klingons.

2) Seamus Harper needs a larger role.

3) G'Kar needs his own lightsaber.

4) Show more of the Emperor tempting Frodo to the Dark Side.

1 -- or maybe some romulans conspiring with Klingons

2 -- nah. The Falcon would actually be repaired and work right in less than an hour if we did that. And really, do we want to see him drooling over Amidala yet still striking out?

3 -- G'Kar needs a LightKnife. Ta'Lon needs a lightsaber.

4 -- heh. That would be great.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page