Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Name that animal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Name that animal
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The local TV station has an exotic animal that they can't identify. I've seen one before (australian?) but can't for the life of me think of what its called.

Looks like some kind of giant rodent.

http://www.nbc5i.com/index.html

In the middle column on their home page click on "strange animal seeks new home".

Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now... exactly... HOW... did this animal just turn up in Oregon?

This thing had a breeding population it came from, and by the size of it, it seems to eat a fairly sizable diet. Where have they been hiding?

quote:
One local humane society employee thought the animal may be a capybara, which is known as the world's largest rodent. However, animal experts thought the creature was more likely a distant relative of the Guinea pig.
This is a capybara. It lives in South America.
This is the "strange animal." It has MUCH bigger whiskers and ears than I'm used to seeing on capybaras, ad a different facial structure. I'm no wildlife expert, but I did know about capybaras before this.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone knows that capybaras are fish.

Clearly, this animal is no fish! A BigPig perhaps?

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is in Oregon? Dang, better lock up the dog... [Wink]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that's what happened to Genetic Experiment Subject 27A! We've been looking all over for it here at the lab.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. Capybaras were the firt thing I thought of when I saw "Looks like some kind of giant rodent." [Big Grin] Friend of mine from back home loves to talk about them. But what one is doing in Oregon is beyond me. They ususally stick to south/central America, or at least Southern states in the US.

Anyhow, now you know a funny name for a giant rodent! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sancselfieme
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a mutated thylacine! [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nyani
Member # 1828

- posted      Profile for nyani   Email nyani       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the news clip said, it’s probably a patagonian mara. It's cute, in a funny way... which is probably why in ended up in oregon.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my god!!

It's "Night of the Lepus" all over again.

HELP!!

Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I was the only one to see "Night of the Lepus"

It was hilarious.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no - I have been routinely subjected to such classics as "Night of the Lepus," "Kingdom of the Spiders" and "Devil's Rain."

I live in Hell, basically.

Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you are not the only one. That is some hilarious stuff, for about minutes.

OPL:
So you're like the real-life Mike Nelson? You've never mentioned any robots, even. Cruddy.

Dan

(Mystery Science Theater 3000 reference)

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

I was with you, WC. "Manos Hands of Fate" and "Mitchell" are two personal favorites, as well.
kidzmom
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for kidzmom   Email kidzmom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wahhh! [Frown] I miss my MST3K!! I want Crow, Servo, yes...even Mike! I want them back in my living room! I miss Pearl, Brain, and Bobo! The Hastings 30 mi. away from us used to have several of them on video (for rental), but evil and unprincipled college students apparently made off with all of them! [Mad] <sigh> This month, I found DVDs of a couple of the movies from MST3K(seasonal clearance, after Halloween) 2/$1--remember "The Screaming Skull"?--but it's not quite the same when you have to supply all the running commentary.
Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anybody ever see the Dungeons and Dragons movie that came out a few years ago? That would have been a PERFECT Mystery Science Theater movie! Bad acting, over acting, awkward pauses. It was much better as a comedy.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a website with a picture of what appears to be the same species of rodent, but the damn site doesn't say what they are! [Mad]

Link

EDIT: Didn't see nyani's post. It does look very much like a mara.

[ November 13, 2004, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Adam Lassek ]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page