Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » CNN breaking news: presidential pardon (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: CNN breaking news: presidential pardon
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
President Bush just pardoned the thanksgiving turkey. More news to follow as the story develops.

Then the really funny item.

The CNN anchors are talking to each other and the lady tells how that President Franklin thought the turkey should be the national bird rather than the eagle. The other anchor picked up and started telling another interesting turkey related detail.

Amazing what you can learn listening to cable news.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meworkingman
Member # 1473

- posted      Profile for meworkingman   Email meworkingman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you're right. I never knew ole Ben Franklin was president. But of course the lefties in the media are much smarter than us hicks in the hinterlands. They couldn't be wrong could they?
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ed
Member # 1673

- posted      Profile for ed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
president franklin? how...creative. :>

ed

Posts: 219 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's that, a talking head telling us about a revisionist construct proposing to revise history? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the president was worth the suit on his back, he would have pardoned one and drafted another.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ed
Member # 1673

- posted      Profile for ed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ATW, what was the other turkey detail?

ed

Posts: 219 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoshuaD:
If the president was worth the suit on his back, he would have pardoned one and drafted another.

Such a good episode. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually he pardoned a set of turkeys this year. Their names are "Biscuits" and "Gravy" and they're going to live in a petting zoo where they'll no doubt wish they were dead.

I'd have given five bucks if Bush had, "I'm kinda hungry this year. Let's eat 'em."

Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given his history in Texas, shouldn't Bush have given the Turkey a lethal injection - of tasty marinade!
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godot
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Godot   Email Godot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMPORTANT BREAKING TURKEY NEWS:

Bush has just informed reporters that the turkeys are suspected of being terrorists and have been moved to an undisclosed location where they will be held indefinitely.

Posts: 444 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where they'll no doubt get their stuffing!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am picking up my 25 lbs turkey on wednesday.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they say why Franklin wanted the turkey rather than the eagle to be the national bird? Wasn't it because the turkey is native to America whereas the eagle isn't, and because the turkey is a hunter whereas the eagle is a scavenger?
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I think that is correct.
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bald eagle isn't native? Did they bring them over from Europe? Are they endangered there, too?
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit
Member # 1299

- posted      Profile for Kit   Email Kit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, where else is the bald eagle found? I thought it was a purely North American bird.

And I'm pretty sure the bald eagle does hunt, although that doesn't mean it doesn't scavange also.

The story I heard is that Ben was against the bald eagle (rather than for the turkey) and said he'd rather see the turkey as the national bird rather than the eagle. Kind of like saying he'd rather have Gilligan as the POTUS rather than Saddam. But that's just what I heard.

Posts: 704 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koner
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Koner   Email Koner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The bald eagle isn't native? Did they bring them over from Europe? Are they endangered there, too?
The bald eagle IS native to North America. In fact it is the ONLY eagle that is unique to North America. So if its found outside of Canada, the US or Northern Mexico its because it was taken there.
Posts: 754 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
unregistered

The bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) is predominantly a hunter, not a scavenger, that is indigenous to North America. It's diet is varied, including fish, smaller birds, rodents, and sometimes food scavenged or stolen from campsites and picnics.

A bald eagle was once found in Ireland. The exhausted specimen was discovered by a national parks worker in a northern heath. Presumably, a storm blew it out to sea, and the bird struggled across the Atlantic Ocean.

In 1782, Congress selected the bald eagle as the emblem of the newly formed United States, because it symbolized courage and might, and because it was indigenous only to the United States and to Canada.

Ben Franklin wanted the turkey to be the U.S. national symbol because he considered the eagle a "bird of bad moral character" because it lives "by sharping and robbing."

[ November 17, 2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Gary ]

musket
Member # 552

- posted      Profile for musket         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. Franklin based his opinion of the baldie on the bird's inaccurate reputation as a scavenger, widely held at the time.

Personally I'd have prefered the Cooper's Hawk to either. But if you've ever read anything about this bird's former reputation as a "ruthless, marauding murderer of songbirds that should be shot on sight" (to paraphrase the execrable Nellie Blanchan, widely regarded at one time as an authoritative author of books about birds, which were extremely popular and can still be found in many used bookstores), you'll know that wouldn't have flown either.

Franklin was around long before Blanchan was even born, but almost certainly would have agreed with her.

Posts: 1524 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ATW
Member # 1690

quote:
Originally posted by ed:
ATW, what was the other turkey detail?

ed

It was however many pounds of turkey were projected to be eaten this thanksgiving. Seems like it was in excess of 14 million...which actually seems kind of small.

======

BTW, what do turkeys hunt? They eat grain.

[ November 17, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: ATW ]

Koner
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Koner   Email Koner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BTW, what do turkeys hunt? They eat grain
According to one webiste I googled they eat Mostly seeds, nuts (especially acorns), fruit, leaves of many plants; also insects, especially grasshoppers, terrestrial invertebrates, small vertebrates.

From my experience growing up on a farm the only thing I ever saw the nasty critters eat was the corn out of the silage we fed to the cows. In the winter when they flock up it was not unusual to have 200 or more wild turkeys come into the feed lot and chase the cows out while they picked all of the corn seed out of the silage in the feeder. Once they had finshed with the corn they would leave the cows to have the leftovers.

Turkeys are not hunters. They are foragers. They are nasty, dirty, discusting and extremely damaging wastefull birds. But damn do they taste good. Could be the very reason that as a kid I can remember eating turkey more often than chicken regardless of state hunting laws. LOL We had to feed the stupid things it was only our right to eat a few of them. [Smile]

Posts: 754 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towellman
Member # 1462

- posted      Profile for towellman   Email towellman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol...anyone know how Canada Goose tastes?

There's tons that live (and poop prolificly) at my school, I'm always tempted to find out...

Posts: 220 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the turkey pardoning sends a terrible message to the nation's children. Bambi-ass crap.

I haven't had Canada Goose, but I hear it's quite good, if you like that gamey flavor. I had an Ostrich burger last month. Very good.

And yes, there's nothing quite like stepping on goose crap with bare feet and getting it between your toes.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Goose is extremely tasty. I have a good recipe for goose around here somewhere... But yes, it is gamey.

Cooking goose can be tricky. Because of the large amount of fat, and the very lean nature of the meat, once the fat cooks off, the meat finishes cooking a hurry, and will dry out if you aren't paying attention, even more so then on turkey or a roasting chicken. But... if you have goose this thanksgiving or christmas, I'm sure the family will enjoy it.

A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think the turkey pardoning sends a terrible message to the nation's children. Bambi-ass crap.

Ha! I'm still waiting for a president that'll just lop off the turkey's head on camera.
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I've ever had goose. Duck was dissapointing. Ostritch was simply amazing, though. Damn South Africa for keeping a lid on all the good lines, and keeping ostritch a rich person food. If we could get enough bloodlines of ostritch in the USA, we could produce healthier, better tasting meals with fewer antibiotics, and about 1/3 the impact on the environment. Not to mention lower cost.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

If you don't like duck, you probably won't like goose. They are very similar flavors.

You'll be happy to know ostritch is starting to move into the US. There are a few small suppliers to natural foods stores. One of the major drawbacks to Ostritch, in terms of popularizing it, is its much easier to ruin then beef. But everyone who eats ostritch thinks its very good, so it will continue to creep into grocery stores. Buffalo is very tasty, and healthy as well, but... much more environmental impact then ostritch, and they take up a lot more room then cattle. So, hopefully, that one never catches on beyond as a speciality meat.

Pheasant is also excellent if you want to try something different at thanksgiving, and are only serving a couple people.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've actually saw Ostritch meat sold in Costco last year, once. But even at $8 per pound, that's still a rich person food. And as I understand, that's all we'll be able to sustain, unless someone manages to break a few thousand ostrich out of South Africa. My understanding is that we don't have enough gene lines outside South Africa to sustain a large Ostritch population, and the South African government is milking its virtual monopoly, keeping it a food for the rich outside that country.

Easy to ruin ... you mean hard to cook?

It's amazing to me that Americans tolerate such little variety in what they eat, compared to Europe or even Mexico. I wonder if we make up for lack of variety with quantity, and if that might account for some of the higher obesity here.

[ November 17, 2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musket
Member # 552

- posted      Profile for musket         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They are nasty, dirty, discusting and extremely damaging wastefull birds.
In other words, they are not especially cooperative with humans, the alleged masters of the world, who routinely apply disparaging terms to wild turkeys-- and bald eagles, and Cooper's hawks-- that are most often far mor suited to describing certain members of their own species.

Anthropomorphization to the max.

Posts: 1524 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Musket, re: "anthropomorphization," do you suppose that birds feel guilty for seeing the world through their own point of view and according to their own interests?
Everard
unregistered

Yeah, Ostritch is still definetely a rich person food. As far as the genelines, we're working on it. Slow going, but we're moving that way.

And yes, I mean ostritch is hard to cook [Smile] Not that it requires special skills, but it cooks FAST because its so lean. For a lot of people, thats too fast (I have a low opinion of the standard home cook).

I agree about the variety of what we eat. When I worked in a meat department, 90% of what we sold was beef chicken and pork. Only a little lamb, veal, turkey, and game meat. And about .5% of our sales were "specialty" meats like ostritch.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Wow. As much as .5%? That is good news. Hmm. Actually, you probably meant in terms of $, not weight, right?

Thanks for the info.

Everard
unregistered

Yeah, in terms of money. By weight, no idea. Ridiculously low. And that was at a Whole Foods... I'm guessing we got more specialty orders then your standard grocery store, but less then a real speciality mom and pop store.
kidzmom
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for kidzmom   Email kidzmom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...in terms of raising/ living/ working around them, I'd have to say most fowl are, well...foul [Razz] . They stink, they mess EVERYWHERE, even on each other, they will even nest in it, and routinely ruin their feed & water.

As for wild turkeys, they're pretty clever, but the domesticated ones...sheesh! I mean, they really will look up into a rainstorm and drown themselves!

Never stepped barefoot in goose poop, but I'd have to say duck would probably rank right alongside it ...

Haven't had ostrich, but I've had emu sausage. We sure can't afford it, but I enjoyed it at a party once. It reminded me of really excellent venison sausage (very red meat, very lean).

Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

If you like emu, definetely try ostritch. My opinion, its the best of the "beeflike substitutes," ie the red lean meats.
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eat Thumper. Back of Rabbit is about my fav. Though phesant can be plesant.
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidzmom
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for kidzmom   Email kidzmom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, rabbit is great. I also love cabrito! Chicken-fried backstrap...oh, yeah.
Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Rabbit is about the only mammal/bird meat I won't eat. Even working with meat for a couple years, I never got over that the butchered rabbit looks far too much like the rabbit hoppity hopping. Too cute to eat, even when dead, basically.
kidzmom
Member # 2015

Yeah, Ev...if I ever raise it myself! Like I said, a little pricey for us! Also, there are (relatively speaking) lots of emus around here, but no ostriches that I've seen. A decade or so ago, a bunch of Texans decided that emus were the next "cattle", and got caught up in the frenzy; now, you can hardly give them away (but the meat's still $$$).
Everard
unregistered

Eh, you might find it at a party or something sometime [Smile]

One of the advantages of the job I had was that I got to eat all sorts of things I couldn't afford.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page