Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The Roe Effect: Evolution favors Christainity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Roe Effect: Evolution favors Christainity
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2004-11-10/news_feature4.html

There are survival characteristics associated with being an evangelical.

Who are the people having kids today? Immigrants, yes. That's one group. But among white, middle-class Americans, religious people are having children at a much higher rate. More and more and more children percentage-wise than non-religious people. There's a survival value in religious beliefs. They have a sense of purpose. They feel their mission in life is to multiply and be fruitful. The whole Darwinian concept -- evolution -- is on the side of evangelical Christians. They're growing by any measure.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delirium Tremens
Member # 1997

- posted      Profile for Delirium Tremens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every sperm is sacred...
Posts: 432 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with that theory is that Christianity isn't hereditary.

The children can backslide from their Christian heritage, and thus reduce the size of the group. Also, having large families can stretch financial resources, possibly causing the children to be less successful later in life. If conditions change (e.g. a major war), the poor are often the first to die off. So in the long run, the disadvantages may outweigh the advantages.

Of course, one huge advantage Christians have is that God is on their side. [Smile]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing to look at Wayward, is that evangelicals tend to be a little poorer than others. And the poorer they are, the more strongly evangelical. Pentecostals are one of the poorest religious groups in the country, and I bet you can't convince them not to be Pentecostal. Stretching out the money to make ends meet when it doesn't seem possible is just another example of how good God is to them. Barring a war much larger in scope than the current one, the poor are not going to die off quickly enough to offset their growth.

There are also pastors preaching to have more children for the impending religious war with the Muslims. Now if one of you had printed that statement a few weeks ago I would have said it was a fringe thing, and not having an impact. But I heard a pastor of a relatively moderate evangelical church say this very thing. Some evangelicals will drop out as they get older, but this is not a group that is going to disappear, as many people thought, with the increase in scientific knowledge and rational explanation. Their belief cannot be explained away to them.

By the way, any link to the works of Monty Python is much appreciated. I'll be humming that tune in the office for the rest of the day.

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The whole Darwinian concept -- evolution -- is on the side of evangelical Christians
If true, ironic! [Wink]
Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh it's true. Things keep coming to mind to me. For instance, evangelicals have a social support group that they usually meet with once a week at least. While improved technology has encouraged many people (like us) to interact in sterile computer environments, they have real people who genuinely care about them to bitch to about problems in their life. Criticize their beliefs all you want, they are going to consistently have a place to go for help when they are in trouble. Damn, I almost reconverted myself just writing this. [Smile]
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wayward Son:
The problem with that theory is that Christianity isn't hereditary.

The children can backslide from their Christian heritage, and thus reduce the size of the group. Also, having large families can stretch financial resources, possibly causing the children to be less successful later in life.

Disbelief isn't hereditary either. If believers and disbeliever each have a high retention rate, which seems likely, the believers are still going to get the evolutionary win due to the larger birth rate.

And even if they aren't believers per se, the unbelieving kids are going to have their values shaped by their believing environment and adopt the most effective of them as protective camophlage...passing along those sympathethic traits from generation to generation like moths close to those factories in England.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I would certainly say that evolution is really favoring the Chinese and Indians. Namaste.
Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ATW
Member # 1690

Apache helicopters anyone?
Gary
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aupton15:
While improved technology has encouraged many people (like us) to interact in sterile computer environments, they have real people who genuinely care about them to bitch to about problems in their life.

Yep, if it wasn't for online forums like this I would have no human interaction at all! [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The whole Darwinian concept -- evolution -- is on the side of evangelical Christians.
Actually, if we could get pro-life and pro-choice groups together to "sponsor" pregnancies, evangelicals could grow their base even faster. An evangelical family could pay all the assosciated medical costs for a pregnant woman who agrees not to have an abortion. In exchange, the pro-life people adopt the child at birth, with no take-backs.
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLMyers
Member # 1983

- posted      Profile for JLMyers   Email JLMyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody have any statistics on the number of religious versus non-religious in the US for the last # of years? (I'll look)

IMO, eventually, with improvements in education, all religions will be relegated to fringe groups. Unfortunately, not in my lifetime.

KE

Posts: 2007 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delirium Tremens
Member # 1997

- posted      Profile for Delirium Tremens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If believers and disbeliever each have a high retention rate, which seems likely...
No, ATW. Here in Belgium the number of Catholics went from 50% to 10% in 2 generations. I also see the first signs of Muslims running away from mosques and leaving Allah for what he is.....

This isn't about the number of children, it's about what religion has to offer to a society. Maybe religion offers more to the US society now in comparison with 25 years ago, but nothing guarantees what the situation will be in the next 25 years.

Posts: 432 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
IMO, eventually, with improvements in education, all religions will be relegated to fringe groups. Unfortunately, not in my lifetime.

KE, you could always move to Japan .
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, I would certainly say that evolution is really favoring the Chinese
How so? Aren't they limiting birthrates to one child per couple?
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've posted this link before, but on a different subject.

Nova - Secrets of the Mind:
quote:
A few years ago, the popular press inaccurately quoted me as having claimed that there is a God center or a "G-spot" in the temporal lobes. Now, this is complete nonsense. There is no specific area in the temporal lobe concerned with God. But it's possible there are parts of the temporal lobes whose activity is somehow conducive to religious belief. Now this seems unlikely, but it might be true. Now, why might we have neural machinery in the temporal lobes for belief in religion? Well belief in religion is widespread. Every tribe, every society has some form of religious worship. And maybe the reason it evolved, if it did evolve, is that it is conducive to the stability of society, and this may be easiest if you believe in some sort of supreme being. And that may be one reason why religious sentiments evolved in the brain.
Don't dismiss the evolution of religion too quickly. It has its place.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are going to have a baby in less than a month. I didn't need your religion or even that of my own people to do it. Many of my friends are like that.

Please don't try to prove your religion superior, and defionitely not by claiming for it universal virtues. It puts me in an unsocial mood and forces me to hold myself from saying things that might offend you.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who are you talking to?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ATW, in this case, and really not out of a desire to pick a fight, but rather the opposite.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page