Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The fall of Ken Jennings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The fall of Ken Jennings
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

- posted      Profile for thegreatgrundle   Email thegreatgrundle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry if this is a spoiler to anyone (I don't know how it could be with all of the rumors, but still), but I just had to say something about it. This was one of the coolest things that I have ever seen. What this man was able to accomplish was absolutely amazing, and it brought some publicity to the greatest game show on TV. It's a shame to see it come to an end.
Posts: 622 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, he's not winning anymore. I saw some other dude on Jeopardy last night. When did he lose?
Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

- posted      Profile for thegreatgrundle   Email thegreatgrundle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He lost tonight (Tuesday 11/30, 7 PM Eastern time, to be anally specific [Wink] ). But he lost to a woman, not a man, so I don't know what dude you're talking about.

74 days, over $2.5 million. Absolutely amazing. I can't wait until the Tournament of Champions.

Posts: 622 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 407

- posted      Profile for Snowden   Email Snowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all of the hype, I finally had a chance to see him last friday. All I could think was, "This guy is beatable." He was missing legal and American history questions, left and right. He dominated on the word skills, geography, and European history questions, but I could imagine him get beat on America.

I don't know, though. What got him today?

[ November 30, 2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Snowden ]

Posts: 971 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main cause of his downfall was that he was vulnerable going into double jep, in that he did not have at least double the next closest person.

That was his usual MO, he would amass somewhere around $10,000-$15,000 during the normal rounds and then be in a position that even if he missed the Final question, he could not loose.

Not tonight and he got the last question wrong. I don't think it really bothered him that much.

I wonder if any one has talked to him about taking Trebeks place if Alex ever wants to retire?

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

His main problem tonight was the daily doubles in the double Jeopardy round. He had a decent-sized lead going into both of them (I think around 2:1 over his closest opponent), and he did his typical, "bet enough to hit a round number" (in this case $20,000), and he got them both wrong. He lost about $10,000 on Daily Doubles alone. If he hadn't bet so much, or if he had gotten even one of them right, he would have had a runaway in final.

Of course, if he had gotten the final Jeopardy right, he would have won anyway (he was in the lead and the wagers they made would have left him the winner regardless of what his opponent did). But that was a tough question (IMOSHO). He had Christmas season on his mind, when he should have been thinking tax season. A mistake people make all too often [Big Grin]

PS @ msquared
You're selling him short. Typically he'd amass around $25,0000-$30,000 (if not $40,000-$50,000) in the first rounds, and just completely blow away his "opposition". He was that good. He averaged around $34,000 a game [Eek!]

[ November 30, 2004, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: thegreatgrundle ]

philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/01/arts/television/01jeop.html?oref=login&8hpib

quote:
Answer: Most of this firm's 70,000 seasonal white-collar employees work only four months a year.

On last night's show Mr. Jennings responded, "What is Fed Ex?," while his opponent Nancy Zerg, a Realtor from Ventura, Calif., answered correctly, "What is H & R Block?" And so, after 75 shows, 2,700 correct responses and more than $2.5 million in winnings, Mr. Jennings - a software engineer from Salt Lake City who became a smiling, brainy pop-culture hero during his winning streak - finally put down his buzzer.

quote:
But in other ways, fame and fortune have not descended on him as they have on some lottery winners, he said. He and his wife have not gone on shopping sprees. (He did buy a big-screen television recently, but he'd been saving for it for years.) They are planning a nice European vacation, but probably not a long one because they are parents of a 2-year-old son. Devout Mormons, they have donated tens of thousands of dollars of winnings to the church. And Mr. Jennings has even - true to his "Jeopardy!" champion personality - checked a book out of his local library with advice on how best to avoid the difficulties faced by people who experience financial windfalls.

"There are unbelievable statistics," he said, "that three-quarters of all people who have some big windfall are out of money within two to five years. So many people are not smart about it. So I think it would be very ironic if I got the money for being smart and then did, like, something incredibly dumb with it."

I don't watch TV much, but I did see him a week or two ago and heard him say some interesting things. He was asked what he was going to do with the money, and he said that he wasn't sure yet, but that it was important to get it right. He said something along the lines of "most people can't do what they really want to do because they have to spend all of theiir time making ends meet, it would be a shame if I didn't because I don't have any excuses now."
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an amazing run. I'm curious to see how the woman who beat him fares. Suffice to say there won't be another Ken Jennings coming around any more. I'm betting tomorrow Alex makes some joke about "only 73 more wins to go to beat the record." He seems like a nice guy. I'm happy for him and his success. You don't see enough of people getting these kinds of rewards based on merit.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page3/story?page=jeopardy/041130

Pretty routine article really, but at the end you discover that H&R Block has offered to do Ken's taxes for free....forever.

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was set-up.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think it was set-up.
The winning streak, or last night's loss?
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

Last night's loss.
aupton15
Member # 1771

FIJC, what makes you think so? I love conspiracy theories! I'd like to hear what evidence you have for this one.
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A long time Ken fan has assured me that Ken knew the answer to the first daily double (an easy question in a favorable category) and blew it deliberately.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"FIJC, what makes you think so? I love conspiracy theories! I'd like to hear what evidence you have for this one."
LOL, I just don't think that after 74 episodes of answering some really tough questions, he somehow answered "FedEx" to the last question? I mean, at the very least, Jennings should know that FedEx is not seasonal! Perhaps he was paid to lose?
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

quote:
Perhaps he was paid to lose?
At the rate he was going, they would have to pay him a heck of a lot, or else he could just win it himself [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page