Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » God taken out of child's Thanksgiving Poem?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: God taken out of child's Thanksgiving Poem?
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was quickly resolved but I thought it was amusing.

Basically a child wrote a poem about Thanksgiving and the kids voted to post it on their door. Apparently it mentioned that the Pilgrims thanked God and the word God was taken out by whoever it was that printed it up big.

I especially liked this line:

quote:
"This is exactly the kind of misunderstanding that has run rampant throughout our country," Leland said. "If she wrote, 'Pilgrims thank turkeys for what they were given,' that would have been fine."
Article here
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what about athiest pilgrims! This type of blanket assumption that all pilgrims believed in a judeochristian God undermines the belief undermines the ability of athiest children to relate to pilgrims! The government must not be allowed to force religion on us like this. They might as well have executed all non-believers!! This is a travesty!

[/ [Wink] ]

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, besides, most pilgrims were homosexuals and weren't even allowed into churches to learn about God. [Razz]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOJ: Actually, the first homosexuals were returned to England for execution. The Pilgrims did, however, execute boys for "bestiality" -- exactly as the Bible prescribes.
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four posts to get from children's poetry to bestiality. If records were kept on this kind of thing, I'm sure this would be one.

Let kids write about God if they want to. It's not as if the teacher is making them recite a Christian poem, or indoctrinate them with a particular kind of religion. For the love of Turkey, let the kid express him/herself for a couple of years before you start censoring everything they write. Absolutely ridiculous.

If you really want to be fair and balanced, let them all write poems about God, Yaweh, Allah, the tree outside, or who/whatever they choose. I understand why you don't let adults force children to say a particular prayer or whatever, but you can't stifle a child's (positive, peaceful and appropriate) expression and expect anything good to come of it.

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
potemkyn
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aupton,

I agree, nicely put too.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, along the lines of another thread where we were discussing the difference between history and participation in religion, this falls on the history side. It is a pretty well-established fact that the Pilgrims prayed to God.

But please note, that the school got it right when the issue was examined closely. And even one of the strongest advocates for keeping God out of the classroom agreed that this was an overreaction:

"This sounds like a pretty straight-up case of a school overreacting," said Robert Boston, spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State. "Obviously, if the student is supposed to write about the Civil War, they can't write about the Old Testament instead, but this is different."

And cheers to the 10-year-old, whose poem was very widely published. She should sell signed copies on e-bay to the religious right.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, yes, there is a bias against Christianity in situations like this. If a native American student wrote a poem including the "Great Spirit", it would be hailed as a multi-cultural coup.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Drake, the problem here is that this issue regarded close examination at all. If anything situations involving religious issues BROUGHT UP by 10 year olds should be encouraged, discussed, and brought to the forefront. The solution (which will never be brought about because it would be too controversial) is to teach teachers how to deal with these situations productively rather than stifling discussion whenever someone utters a "god" word.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

"The solution (which will never be brought about because it would be too controversial) is to teach teachers how to deal with these situations productively rather than stifling discussion whenever someone utters a "god" word."

Erm, wrong. Its part of a required course for my education program.

aupton15
Member # 1771

I'm glad it's in your program Ev. I'm sure you would have handled the situation better regardless of the training anyway, but some people probably need help with this one. My sister's education program doesn't have any kind of requirement for dealing with this. She's in elementary ed.? You?
Everard
unregistered

Secondary ed. Its part of my socio-cultural perspectives class. I'm not sure how far into her program she is, but its likely to be part of one of her classes.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how do they tell you to deal with it, Ev?
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So how do they tell you to deal with it, Ev?"

They probably tell you to recommend psychological counseling, and perhaps have her put on Ritalin. [Smile]

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

They don't "tell" us how to deal with any of these situations. Rather, the whole course is about understanding people of cultures different from ourselves, and how to make them feel included in the classroom, and how to make sure that people use what my professor calls their "cultural capital" to their own benefit. In other words, what the kid who wrote this poem did is what we're supposed to encourage.
aupton15
Member # 1771

I'm going to double-check with my sister, but she's pretty far along and hasn't had any courses at all. Perhaps they don't expect to have these kinds of discussions with younger students. Or more likely, the program she's in isn't preparing her for these things very well. I'm glad to know it's dealt with in your program. That's a good sign that other programs are trying too, but I don't think it's quite a universal requirement yet.
Everard
unregistered

No, its not universal. THis is massachusetts after all [Smile] We're normally ahead of the curve.
aupton15
Member # 1771

I can't even be offended. In West Virginia we're so far behind the curve it's still a straight line [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page