Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » sexual and violent video games set aside, do you think this is different? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: sexual and violent video games set aside, do you think this is different?
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ATW...that was great!
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The "Civilization" series of games by Sid Meier has nuclear weapons in them. In the game a nuclear attack is a "legitimate course of action", and they can be used as many times as you want, just as soon as you develop the technology. I would hardly characterize these games as "evil". Besides, video games these days do a good job of rating themselves to make the consumer aware of their content.
I haven't finished reading the thread yet, so if someone has already said this sorry for repeating information. Yes, in the Civilization series of games you can launch nukes at your enemies, but you suffer many negative effect for doing so. Your diplomacy suffers, other nations will go to war with you, serious polution effect occur and I'm sure that there are other problems as well.

I used it once in Civ II and ended up in a worse situation than I had been in before I launched the nuke. Everybody ganged up on me and I ended up losing the game. I haven't tried it in Civ III, which I am currently playing again. I think that the reason the Civ series includes the nuclear option is partly because it is part of the real world, and partly so that if you use it you will see the consequences you would have to deal with.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's exactly why I used the Civ series as an example. To say that the access to using nuclear weapons in a game does, by definition, make that game "evil" is wrong. I think the important aspect that is missing from Sanc's thesis is the context in which nuclear weapons are used. The best way to ruin a game of Civ is to use nukes.

And by the way, the Civ series is rated "E" for everyone. It contains "Mild Violence". And I think the rating is appropriate.

Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably wasn't clear. I was not trying to critcize your example of the Civ series as a game which has a nuclear option. I was commenting to make sure that anyone who had not played it before would know that while it had a nuclear option it is one which will usually lose the game for you. Also I am currently playing a game of Civ III and when I saw your post I couldn't resist the urge to contribute before reading the rest of the thread.

Two other games that I have played which use nukes are "Command and Conquer" and "Starcraft". I played C&C back when it first came out and haven't played it since, so I do not know if the current titles from this series still use nukes. Both of these games are mild on the violence spectrum when compared to games like the Doom series and the Halo series.

In any case I think that obsessing about what effect the use of a nuclear option in a video game has on those playing it is a useless waste of time. All of the people that I know who play video games are fully aware that they are playing games and that different rules apply in real life. For those few out there who blur the distinctiveness between their real lives and the video game world I am less than worried that they may come into possession of a nuclear device. I would be more worried about them accumulating weapons similar to those carried by the characters in Doom and similar games, but I still think that such people are the rare exception rather than a growing trend.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I played C&C back when it first came out and haven't played it since, so I do not know if the current titles from this series still use nukes.
Yes they do, however they are underpowered, somewhere on the order of a tactical nuke. The radioactive fallout also poses a threat. It should also be noted that the USA in the game doesn't even have them--they use a surgical orbital laser, China has nukes, and the GLA uses anthrax.

My friends and I have played many games of CnC: Generals, and the use of WMDs in this game have on almost every occasion ruined the fun of playing. While the downsides of WMD are more subtle than in Civ, after several games we all agreed to never use WMDs in the game for anything other than the upgrades it gives your units.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't take it that way, Dave. It was taken in the spirit in which it was intended [Smile]

[ December 06, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Haggis ]

Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jabberwocky
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for Jabberwocky   Email Jabberwocky       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently working in the video game industry as a designer. Like any medium, there will always be those who abuse the technology with inappropriate material. Personally, I wish they would stay away from this. I hope we can self regulate video game content without any laws. We have to be carefull here, because in our hyper "politically correct" society people could use regulation as a tool to repress an agenda they just dont like.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page