Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Why America is like the Powerpuff Girls

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why America is like the Powerpuff Girls
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever there is a problem that the world community can’t solve, we get called.
We solve problems with well-intended bursts of sheer brute force.
Our greatest enemy is a blustering monkey in a turban.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegreatgrundle
Member # 1921

- posted      Profile for thegreatgrundle   Email thegreatgrundle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the Powerpuff Girls usually end up destroying the entire town. I don't know if this is a comparison you should be making. [Big Grin]
Posts: 622 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHA [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention the fact that the mayor is an incompetent idiot. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go easy on the UN, there, Haggis [Big Grin]

Would England be the Professor?

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete, you almost made my soda come out of my nose. Ouch. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EvanWeeks
Member # 883

- posted      Profile for EvanWeeks   Email EvanWeeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*laughs*

Pete, my coworkers now think I'm nuts, since I just almost sprayed the screen with Dr Pepper...

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enfield303
Member # 1996

- posted      Profile for Enfield303   Email Enfield303   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue, Pink, and Green = Red, White, and Blue?
Pete, I love your threads!!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 48 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, does that mean that W. is Blossom, Clinton is Bubbles and Al is Buttercup?

Just wunderin...

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

LoL on Blossom and Bubbles. Need another Buttercup, though.

Not Dick Cheney... Rumsfeld?

towellman
Member # 1462

- posted      Profile for towellman   Email towellman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, you guys know PP Girls way too well. : )
Posts: 220 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

All three of my boys are in love with them. [Big Grin] You should see my 2-year old's face light up when he shouts "Powpaffgulls!"

[ December 07, 2004, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shudder*

I remember the days when everyone... EVERYONE! watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We turned out a pretty good crop IMHO, why change and make Powerpuff Girls and such? Is April O'Neil not a good enough female role model? Is Splinter not inspiring of parental trust? Is Michaelangelo not hip enough anymore now that Cowabunga is an anachronism? Can Shredder not appropriately enough characterize all that is wrong with the world today?

What is this world coming to?

We replaced those ninja turtles with Power Rangers, and look what happened. Columbine.
We gave Shredder the boot, and what do we get in return? Jerry Falwell yapping about the Teletubbies, and a gay marriage debate that won Dubyah a second term.
We told April O'Neill from Channel Three that she was getting bumped for Blue's Clues, and BAM! You got 9/11.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG that was my 3333rd post!!!
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit
Member # 1299

- posted      Profile for Kit   Email Kit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bring back TMNT, G.I. Joe, He-Man, Transformers, Voltron, and Robotech; because the world was better because of our cartoons.

Now that is a philosophy I could support!

Posts: 704 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMNT? Bah!

Thundarr the Barbarian Rulez!!!

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thundarr? Wow never heard of that one. Looks like a shameless ripoff of He-Man. But you forgot inspector gadget. I'm a fan of his too.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

Except for the fact that Thundarr was before He-Man. You go Ed.
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not to mention, much cooler.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

Yea, Thundarr would take one look at He-Man, call him a wizard and then kick his S! [Smile]

Seriously, I used to enjoy that cartoon because it was so deliciously STUPID. Everything was always resolved by Thundarr shouting "To battle, Wizard!" and always loudly and obnoxiously.

Wait a minute! Wasn't this thread about the Powerpuff Girls?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled cartoon...

Ed.

Did I mention Princess Ariel was a babe?

[ December 07, 2004, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: EDanaII ]

stayne
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for stayne   Email stayne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yea, Thundarr would take one look at He-Man, call him a wizard and then kick his S!
Word!
Posts: 594 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

I'm behind Kit all the way. I grew up on TMNT and GI Joe, plus a few others. I had a very active imagination with the toys, too, until they added buttons on all the GI Joes and made them all stiff so that they could only perform one action: the karate chop. How lame. When they were free-form you could interchange limbs and put them in any form you wanted to. I let my imagination do the rest.
This, by the way, is one of the major problems with society: we're giving our kids toys that have a specific *function* instead of forcing them to let their mind make the action. I've seen kids have way more fun with boxes and pillows than the new, imagination-free toys.
Here's the test: if the toy has a button that does anything but open a compartment, don't buy it. Do your kid a favor and buy them a real toy, one that forces the kdi to think outside the box. A karate-chop toy lasts a week tops; a free-moving figure lasted me years.

Once they released the new ones, I was left to my old-time ones. As they broke, I quit.

The entertainment gap between action figures and computer games was basically filled with books and educational magazines.

What a life.

Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WP- It's all about the LEGOs, my friend! Soooo cool. I spent many, many years playing with them. I was all about the space ones; it started with the M-Trons and Blacktrons. I stuck around through the Ice Planet (or whatever) set, and I eventually moved to the underwater stuff, as well. Putting those things together was crazy-tough when I was like 5, but it was most certainly worth it. That and I spent hours upon hours building spaceships on my own and having them dogfight eachother. :-)

Incidently, I would advise any parent to get their kid started playing Real-Time Strategy games on computer. The key here is to get them addicted to RTS rather than dumb time sinks like MMORG and even some FPSs. At the very least, they'll be excellent typists by the time they graduate highschool from chatting with all of the friends they'll make on line. [Big Grin]

-Ivan

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

Anyone interested in Saturday Morning programming from the 60's and 70's, here's a link

http://www.tvparty.com/sat.html

They have all the cool stuff like Shazam, Isis, Land of the Lost, Kroft Superstars, Speed Buggy, Grape Ape, Hong Kong Phooey, etc.

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Go Ivan!

Yes, leave the MMORPG's for when they are mature. I was allowed to play EverQuest and it ruined me. Seriously. I wish I could get those years of my life back, get more sleep, and have graduated high school with a much better GPA.

Do I *look* like the kind of kid who would get a 2.13 GPA? That's MMORPG's. Don't allow it. Once I got off of MMO's, I got a 4.0 for my first three semesters in college. Then I boguht World of WarCraft, and it's dropping. I'm getting a few B's and perhaps a C or two this semester. It's shameful.

But if you msut allow your kid computer games, try giving them Civ and Alpha Centauri for a bit to get them to do more complex actions that require soem thought. RTS is the second step, getting them to do it all quickly. Leave the FPS games for later, you'll be more comfortable with the blood and gore then. And finally, once they learn good time management skills, give them an MMORPG if they want it and an alarm clock next to the computer. And force them to exercize somehow too. MMORPG's are uninterruptable and all-consuming, so they need some way to know to take a break to live their lives and get some sleep.
EverQuest is known as EverCrack and NeverSleep within the community. That's all you need to know about who's mature enough to handle it.

And Legos have never been a bad thing, although they have a few downsides (some of the smaller pieces are easily swallowable for really little kids, they can get lost and you can slip on some of them fairly easily).

[ December 07, 2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son really likes Legos but they are so dang expensive. Every once in a while we find some MegaBloks on sale and splurge. But he sees commercials of Spiderman Legos and Harry Potter Legos and drools. But because they are so commercialized they cost a ton.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Ah, see, Legos were not always so integrated with pop culture. They had vaguer themes if any at all. The priamry-color stuff was all I had to deal with for a long time. That and lincoln logs.
kelcimer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Legos were THE toy.

I perfered the pirates/castles/knights/robinhood/colonial themed sets myself. They were fabulous! I walk down the toy ailes and I look at these new legos with horror. There are too many specialized pieces and too much spiderman and harry potter. The beauty of legos was that they could be whatever you want. The generica made for endless hours of play. I found that while the specialized pieces were great for making a set look cool as a practical matter of building my own structures I simply didn't use very many of them. A few specialty pieces are cool for novelty value, but lots of them does nothing. It reduces the fun factor because you have to think entirely too long and hard inorder to incorporate them into a building properly.

And the oldstyle GIJoe were awesome. If they broke all you needed to do was get a new rubberband and perform surgery:)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit
Member # 1299

- posted      Profile for Kit   Email Kit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LEGOS rule!

My brother and I had literally buckets of them.

Old school G.I. Joes rocked also. Swap legs, arms, torsos, heads, and the all had their own individualized gear. As an side note, if Zartan spends 4 years on an Arizona roof, his chest plate no longer changes colors between light and dark.

Posts: 704 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ed
Member # 1673

- posted      Profile for ed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
legos were always my favored toy when growing up. what's really fun is building a gun out of 'em using a rubber band to fling little 2x4 bricks at siblings. [Big Grin]

and i gotta agree that thundarr would make he-man cry for the sorceress. besides, who doesn't love ookla the mok, whatever the heck a mok is?

ed

Posts: 219 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WP-

I agree. I mostly play Blizzard RTS (Warcraft II got me started, I played SC/BW pretty hard-core when they were out (but that was during highschool, and I was on dialup. >_<), and now I play Frozen Throne on a semi-regular basis. But on the subject of MMORG, I played WoW while it was in Beta for a while, but I wasn't impressed enough to plop down $70 for it in addition to monthly charges. My thinking was that to play it enough to justify that cost, I'd pretty much have to screw everything else, and considering last semester was my toughest so far and they don't look to be getting any easier, I decided that wasn't the best way to go. The way I see it, I can jump on bnet and play a couple games of War3 whenever I feel like it rather than trying to build characters and such.

But I definitely think there are things to be gained from computer gaming that parents often overlook. As I said earlier, I'm a pretty good typist right now, and that's actually helped me secure a pretty nice job that I can work 12 hours a week for decent pay while I go to school.

And in closing, here is a link to my favorite MMORG ever: link

-Ivan

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kilthmal
Member # 547

- posted      Profile for Kilthmal   Email Kilthmal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you really want to increase your typing skills you should look into mudding. I played a MUD for several years in high school. It increased my typing speed, improved my coding skills, and taught me all about opportunity cost. If you are unaware of the term a Multi-User Dungeon(MUD) is a lot like a MMORPG, only it is all done in wonderful ASCI!

Kilthmal

Posts: 728 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EQ II includes parental controls, including the ability to set a daily or weekly time limit on an account. Judging from some of the children I ran into playing it at 3 am however, some parents just aren't going to make the extra effort to moderate their kids play time.

I feel so old...I still remember TMNT as a black and white indy comic with really foul language and graphic violence (as graphic as black and white gets).

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page