Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Does this Salon article seem credible to you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does this Salon article seem credible to you?
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/12/08/coverup/index.html

(If you aren't a member, you'll have to view an ad.)

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ed
Member # 1673

- posted      Profile for ed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seems it could be, but will wait until i see whether any other media outlets pick up the story before committing to a position.

ed

Posts: 219 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seems credible, and there are enough names in there that others can get the story too, if it is true.
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the cover-up doesn't seem to go back to the Bush team.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general Salon = not credible in my opinion. Its better than a conspiracy blogsite but not by much.

I'd like to see the story covered in the media before forming an opinion.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any instances to back up this assesment, ATW? I'd say that in this case, since they name names, the absence of a libel suit would suffice to indicate truth.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ATW
Member # 1690

- posted      Profile for ATW   Email ATW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The story has todays date. I don't think its been posted up on their website long enough to generate a libel suit.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

I agree. I didn't mean this test has been passed yet. I do, however, repeat my question: any instances you can point to where Salon REPORTING (not opinions) was discredited?
ATW
Member # 1690

I understand that you are repeating your question.

I've repeatedly discredited Salon reporting over the years on a large number of matters.

No, I have no desire to dig up specific instances nor to try to otherwise defend my statement which is why I labeled it as "my opinion".

If you don't like my opinion, feel free to write it off as being my opinion. I was answering Tom's questions about how this "seems" to me. I figure if Tom didn't want my opinion that he wouldn't have asked for it.

witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't strike me as implausible, it's basic claim is that this small military intelligence team was using "special" methods on detainnees.

Seymour Hersh aired that back at the beginning of the scandal and I've yet to hear much one way or the other on his report.

The story is basically, one guys word, backed up by some documents, presumably provided by the guy, so I wouldn't say, consilvely, it's true, until someone has a try at picking it apart.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page