Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » AIDS research rewritten

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AIDS research rewritten
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to know more before I make any conclusions but this looks bad.
AIDS research rewritten

I can understand the frustrations with beaurocratic red tape...especially when lives may be at stake, but this kind of stuff could hurt more than it helps in the long run.

What say ye?

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say our problems may (hopefully! but it's too early to celebrate) be solved:

On The Threshold Of Controlling AIDS?

quote:
Piscataway, N.J. — Researchers at Rutgers University have developed a trio of drugs they believe can destroy HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, according to a published report.

The drugs, called DAPYs, mimic the virus by changing shape, which enables them to interfere with the way HIV attacks the immune system.

Tests conducted in conjunction with Johnson and Johnson have shown the drug to be easily absorbed with minimal side effects. It also can be taken in one pill, in contrast to the drug cocktails currently taken by many AIDS patients.

“This could be it,” Stephen Smith, the head of the department of infectious diseases at Saint Michael's Medical Center in Newark, said. “We're all looking for the next class of drugs.”

A research team led by Rutgers chemist Eddy Arnold pre-published details of the most promising of the three drugs, known as R278474, last month in the electronic edition of the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. Full details will be published in the journal in early 2005.

Dr. Arnold, 47, has worked at dismantling the AIDS virus over the last 20 years. He uses X-ray crystallography, a technique to determine the structure of molecules, the smallest particles that can retain all the characteristics of an element or compound.

The research has targeted reverse transcriptase, a submiscroscopic protein composed of two coiled chains of amino acids. It is considered HIV's key protein.

“Reverse transcriptase is very important in the biology of AIDS,” Dr. Smith said. “If you can really inhibit reverse transcriptase, you can stop AIDS.”

I always get my hopes up too much, and sicne this hasn't passed animal testing yet it's way too early to break out the bubbly, but it's always possible that This Is It.

Or maybe it's just part of It, but progress is always a good sign. This could save a lot of lives. Who knows, maybe Africa won't disappear altogether.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this mean we can go back to having unprotected sex?
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL
I once saw a bumper sticker that had a rose and read "I'll be glad to meet you after the plague".

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who have read Kicking the Sacred Cow, this will come as no surprise.

The deep, dark secret of science is that politics has its hand in more than they would like you to think.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a secret?
=====================
Ricky and Drake -

There's still the thorny issue of how to deal with the other incurable STD's.
These are: genital herpes (HSV), genital warts (human pampilloma virus, HPV), and hepatitis B (though there's a vaccine for preventing Hep B).
None are curable, and they all suck.

'Til then, keep protectin'.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidzmom
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for kidzmom   Email kidzmom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The really horrible thing about HPVs, in particular, is that "protection" is pretty much a myth. Basically, any skin contact, anywhere can be a potential point of transmission. That's why so many adolescents and young teens are falling prey to HPVs--oral sex, even heavy "petting" can spread them. I'm friends with the administrative head of a local crisis pregnancy center (they also do STD testing), and she says that she considers HPVs by far and away their biggest problem,; they're spreading by leaps and bounds (and mutating), they're incurable, do terrible damage, and can prove fatal.
Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mutating genital warts - total buzzkill

I guess abstention isn't such a bad thing to teach - sounds like the only effective curb to those HPVs. How come we don't hear about that one in the media? Is it just too nasty to talk about?

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" guess abstention isn't such a bad thing to teach - sounds like the only effective curb to those HPVs. How come we don't hear about that one in the media? Is it just too nasty to talk about?"

Mostly because its significantly less effective then comprehensive sex education in reducing teen pregnancy and the spread of STD, according to

The Case for Comprehensive Sex Education. By: Starkman, Naomi; Rajani, Nicole. AIDS Patient Care & STDs, Jul2002

A Multidimensional Approach to Sexual Education. By: Labauve, Bill J.. Sex Education, Apr2002

In 1997, the Consensus panel on AIDS said "the
abstinence-only approach places policy in direct conflict with science because it ignores overwhelming evidence that other programs are effective" in delaying the onset of sexual intercourse among adolescents and in reducing their number of partners and increasing their condom use, if they are already sexually active"

Also in 1997, Sexuality education and young people's sexual behaviors: a review of studies, Journal of Adolescent Research, 1997, stated about abstinence only programs "there does not exist any scientifically credible, published research demonstrating that they have actually delayed.., the onset of sexual intercourse or reduced any other measure of sexual activity"

ALso " That analysis, which also assessed other approaches to sexuality education and teenage pregnancy prevention, supports the major conclusions of international literature reviews conducted in 1993 and 1997--that the programs most effective in changing young people's behavior, in terms of both delaying their initiation of sexual intercourse and promoting their eventual contraceptive use, are those that address abstinence along with contraception for pregnancy and STD prevention (often termed a "comprehensive" approach)."

Quotes above from
Abstinence Promotion and the Provision Of Information About Contraception in Public School District Sexuality Education Policies. By: Landry, David J.; Kaeser, Lisa. Family Planning Perspectives, Nov/Dec99,

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

quote:
Originally posted by Everard:
" guess abstention isn't such a bad thing to teach - sounds like the only effective curb to those HPVs. How come we don't hear about that one in the media? Is it just too nasty to talk about?"

Mostly because its significantly less effective then comprehensive sex education in reducing teen pregnancy and the spread of STD...

I never said anything about not teaching other things [Smile] A comprehensive approach would include teaching abstinence, which is not a bad thing.
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, its not.

Hold on, I just had these statistics in front of me... *rummages*

Ok

"Results: Among the 69% of public school districts that have a district-wide policy to teach sexuality education, 14% have a comprehensive policy that treats abstinence as one option for adolescents in a broader sexuality education program; 51% teach abstinence as the preferred option for adolescents, but also permit discussion about contraception as an effective means of protecting against unintended pregnancy and disease (an abstinence-plus policy); and 35% (or 23% of all U.S. school districts) teach abstinence as the only option outside of marriage, with discussion of contraception either prohibited entirely or permitted only to emphasize its shortcomings (an abstinence-only policy)."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everard:

Somewhere there is also evidence that a comprehensive policy has better results in preventing STDs and unwanted preganancy than abstinence-only programs (not that those promoting abstinence care about the results).

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towellman
Member # 1462

- posted      Profile for towellman   Email towellman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody mentioned yet that HPV is the leading cause of cervical cancer. The yearly pap smear women get is basically a screening test to see whether the HPV that a decent chunk of the population carries has mutated the cervical cells to start the changes that lead to cancer.

There are many strains of HPV, some just cause the common wart, while others are nasty and prone to malignant mutations.

Posts: 220 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Uh, isn't sexual activity among teens (particularly teen girls) dropping even under this abstinence-only push by Bush's team?

As for the "keep protectin'" thing, yeah, protection doesn't work for herpes or warts. I wrote out a number of paragraphs, one of which included curable STD's, but I deleted them in the culling process.

FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very hard to tell if sexual activity is changing due to a program change. Societal changes and the quality of teacher being used in the program can affect the odds as much as a change in the type of program.

I may be an oddity, but I find it hard to believe that if someone is interested in sex at a young age they'd not do a little research themselves. I mean come on - it's not like the information isn't avaliable.

A course in sexual education authored by me would be about the same as a course in gang education. I would simply say that joining a gang or having sex can be a life-changing event. Between parents and kids, they can figure the rest out on their own.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page