Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Towards a FAQ

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Towards a FAQ
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elsewhere, I've floated that we should have an Ornery forums newbie FAQ, with initial positive responses. I am thinking along the lines of the detail you would see for a talk.politics newsgroup.

What do you think?

What should be included?

I think it should include--A. Background of the site; B. rules of the site, moderator's comments on rules, various posters' comments on rules; C. most common topics with links to prior discussions; D. overview of how to use the site, UBB for dummies.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea... my only suggestion is keep it brief. Someone who isn't quite sold on the forum yet isn't going to want to spend time going through a 5 page thread explaining everything there is to know about ornery.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact, once it's "finished" it might be a good idea to lock it. Rather than have people commenting here and there on what they like or dislike about rule 5a.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep.

First mark might be what themes and topics are possible (all/any?)

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Include in the FAQ a link to Hatrack and those forums for certain types of OSC fans .
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also should include posting protocol. Use of names, direct quotes, linked articles - anything of that sort.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naldiin
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Naldiin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And also, please please please, include a line:

Q: I read OSC's books, and then I came to read his site and "Omg, I am s0 disappointed, omg lol!", has this been addressed before?

A: Yes it has. Too many times to count. We're sorry that you're a liberal sci-fi reader, and OSC is a conservative sci-fi writer and we're also sorry that you apparently cannot tolerate opinions that differ from your own without invoking a sense of outraged moral superiority with which you fault Mr. Card. Thank you, and have a nice day knowing that apparently, some 7 million more Americans agree with OSC than agree with you. Smilies! [Smile]

You're welcome to take the vitriol out, but the number of times we've seen that response to the World-Watch Articles is a number far too large for my TI 83+. And most of them are about that articulate.

Posts: 239 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm convinced that there's enough interest that this should be written, and I'm volunteering to write/organize versions 1.0 of the Short FAQ and the Long FAQ.

Please keep coming with suggestions and offers to write a particular section and links back to meta-threads.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure it will work, but am willing to give it a try. I will stick this at the top for a while, so that it can be discussed with out dropping off the first page. Zyne, if you want to contact me about this please do.

Thanks

OrneryMod

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for including Naldiin's Q&A, but please do take out the vitriol; some of us are not sorry that there are liberal sci-fi readers. [Smile]
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one thing about the most common topics that I would really like would be (for religion, philosophy, ssm, abortion, etc.) to have the longest threads first, so that those topics which were most popular can be easily accessed first.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest it should be locked, but that Mod update it, say once a month, with fresh links. That way when there's a hot story or topic (SSM, SBVFT, like that), the threads about it can be included and thus serve the function of such a list.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Naldiin:
And also, please please please, include a line:

Q: I read OSC's books, and then I came to read his site and "Omg, I am s0 disappointed, omg lol!", has this been addressed before?

A: Yes it has. Too many times to count. We're sorry that you're a liberal sci-fi reader, and OSC is a conservative sci-fi writer and we're also sorry that you apparently cannot tolerate opinions that differ from your own without invoking a sense of outraged moral superiority with which you fault Mr. Card. Thank you, and have a nice day knowing that apparently, some 7 million more Americans agree with OSC than agree with you. Smilies! [Smile]

You're welcome to take the vitriol out, but the number of times we've seen that response to the World-Watch Articles is a number far too large for my TI 83+. And most of them are about that articulate.

Without those posts, you do realize that this would be the death knell for the "World Watch" Forum.... [Wink]
Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

Well, I'd say, someone else, answer Naldiin. IMO, OSC's politics have nothing to do with his artistic writings. I think he's a bloody good writer and a loon, all at the same time, which opinions are independent of each other.
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget a link to the "introductions" thread!
Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

I would not post links to some of the better threads. Why? Because some jackass will follow the link and crap in it.

The only threads that should be put on display like that are the archives. So link them to the archives to see some of the best that Ornery has to offer.

Don't link to current threads.
They should be able to find them on their own.

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kelcimer, that makes no sense. If someone is already in the forum and wants to troll, he or she will troll. Linking to hot threads in the FAQ at east creates a chance to reduce the number of redundant threads.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naldiin
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Naldiin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zyne:
Well, I'd say, someone else, answer Naldiin. IMO, OSC's politics have nothing to do with his artistic writings. I think he's a bloody good writer and a loon, all at the same time, which opinions are independent of each other.

That's my point. What irks me are people who act like his opinions offend them at some deep level, and that somehow this shouldn't be possible based on his writing. And that it somehow buts a dark stain on his writing.

And the vitriol was meant in good humor, not as an actual attack.

Posts: 239 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
unregistered

There should be something about which threads will be deleted in their entirety without explanation as well. [Razz]
kelcimer
unregistered

quote:
kelcimer, that makes no sense. If someone is already in the forum and wants to troll, he or she will troll.
Aye. They can. But there is no point in directing them to threads that are generally liked, either. vbetter, I think, to direct them to the best that Ornery has to offer as an example of what we strive for.
Zyne
Member # 117

Anything else--Other than "OSC betrayed my vision of him!", what is it that really, really irks you that some newbies have said/done?

(ed) What is it that you would have liked to have known when you first started posting here?

Our moderator has suggested that any FAQ not link to specific threads, but instead, link to archives and have some verbiage about looking over the last few weeks' posts. I think the intent there is that the document could stand alone and not need updating, and grow and breathe as the forum does. I think it's a good idea, and would help to keep the thing brief.

[ December 23, 2004, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Zyne ]

kelcimer
unregistered

If it is going to be a sticky at the top of the page, then how about combining "Forum Rules" and the "FAQ?"
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, given recent events, that there should be some mention of the "About Ornery" rules and include something about *listening* as opposed to "waiting for your turn to speak." (Credit for that goes to "Fight Club.") We demand at least a modicum of respect here, and we don't tolerate those who violate that spirit for long here.
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

And maybe also link to:
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/index.html
or
http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/toc.php
[Razz]

JLMyers
Member # 1983

- posted      Profile for JLMyers   Email JLMyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And the vitriol was meant in good humor, not as an actual attack.
Right below your original post--Naldiin, should go Zyne's, with a third to follow saying; "We feel your pain." (Concerning their disappointment between OSC's writing and his political opinion's.)

Because we wouldn't--would we?--want to discourage anybody from becoming a regular poster. Many of us felt the same way when we first came here seeking the wisdom of the great writer and wishing to commune with fellow fans.

KE

[ December 31, 2004, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: JLMyers ]

Posts: 2007 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page