Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Jon Stewart triumphant!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jon Stewart triumphant!
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050106-4509.html
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLMyers
Member # 1983

- posted      Profile for JLMyers   Email JLMyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tucker is out! Yeehaa! Unfortunately he has another job, but it's a start. TD, thanks for the link.

KE

Posts: 2007 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lewkowski
Member # 2028

- posted      Profile for Lewkowski   Email Lewkowski       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really doubt Jon Stewart had any impact. The guy does comedy no one takes him seriously, he doesn't even take himself seriously.
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lew, sometimes you should consider including an "in my opinion" or "I think." It would make most of your sentences far, far more correct, in that you have a tendency to speak absolute nonsense. [Smile]
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the article linked above:
quote:
Mr. Klein specifically cited the criticism that the comedian Jon Stewart leveled at "Crossfire" when he was a guest on the program during the presidential campaign. Mr. Stewart said that ranting partisan political shows on cable were "hurting America." Mr. Klein said last night, "I agree wholeheartedly with Jon Stewart's overall premise." He said he believed that especially after the terror attacks on 9/11, viewers are interested in information, not opinion.
Mr. Klein is the president of CNN
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I expect he takes himself more seriously than he lets on. I don't think he implies that he is an expert on the issues. But he takes himself seriously enough to address what he sees as a deficit in the media. He did it with some humor, no doubt about it. But don't confuse that with a lack of seriousness.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lew,

Didn't actually read the link did you?

Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lewkowski
Member # 2028

- posted      Profile for Lewkowski   Email Lewkowski       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope of course not. Regardless if Jon is right or wrong, his opinion doesn't really have any influence.

And explain why Hannity and Colmes thrash most CNN shows? And what about O'rielly?

Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Explain why WWF is so popular? [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The World Wildlife Fund?
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nope of course not. Regardless if Jon is right or wrong, his opinion doesn't really have any influence.

Lew, you should really read the link before you say this yet again...
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I was thinking of the World Wrestling Federation. [Razz]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually, I was thinking of the World Wrestling Federation.
Not Senator Santorum's Wildlife Wrestling Federation?
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

Well, OK, maybe that, too. [Wink]
JLMyers
Member # 1983

- posted      Profile for JLMyers   Email JLMyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lew,

Are you even reading other posts or just your own? If you read the quote in philnotfil's post you will see that you are wrong.

KE

Posts: 2007 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lewkowski
Member # 2028

"Mr. Klein specifically cited the criticism that the comedian Jon Stewart leveled at "Crossfire" when he was a guest on the program during the presidential campaign. Mr. Stewart said that ranting partisan political shows on cable were "hurting America." Mr. Klein said last night, "I agree wholeheartedly with Jon Stewart's overall premise." He said he believed that especially after the terror attacks on 9/11, viewers are interested in information, not opinion."

If some random bum on the street said the same thing would you be saying that random joe bum was the reason CNN is cancelling crossfire?

A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

quote:
If some random bum on the street said the same thing would you be saying that random joe bum was the reason CNN is cancelling crossfire?
When that "random joe bum" is specifically cited by the president of CNN, who has just cancelled Crossfire, then yes.
Snowden
Member # 407

- posted      Profile for Snowden   Email Snowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He said he believed that especially after the terror attacks on 9/11, viewers are interested in information, not opinion.
I don't mind opinion. I like honest informed opionions, what I don't like is opinions about other people's opinions. The problem is that instead of interpreting the event, they interpret polls about the event, and that's when it turns to crap. It degrades the entire process.

When Tucker and Begala directly interpret the event, and not how it is going to play in X demographic or what Z people are going to think about it, then that's fine.

[ January 08, 2005, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: Snowden ]

Posts: 971 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lewkowski
Member # 2028

Not that I have much faith in CNN a liberal news network. They are pretty clueless if they cancel one of the few fair and balanced shows they have.
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so the CNN guy agrees with Jon Stewart. Doesn't mean that Jon made it happen. Possibly he contributed. [Smile] I think there's room for skepticism that Jon's opinion had real consequence in this case.

Unnecessary example: I say that it's too warm in the building (subjective opinion). Let's just pretend that I get a lot of attention for my statement. Later on, the building owner says "I'm turning down the temperature. I wholeheartedly agree with what scifibum said." He only cites me because of the fame of my earlier statement. I think it's reasonable to allow that the building owner might have done the same thing even had I said nothing. Or, you could say I triumphed. [Smile]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cesare borgia
Member # 846

- posted      Profile for cesare borgia   Email cesare borgia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say John Stewart wins if the news media entirely reforms itself along his argument--or at least if CNN puts on a better show to replace Crossfire.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

"Not that I have much faith in CNN a liberal news network. They are pretty clueless if they cancel one of the few fair and balanced shows they have."

Way to spin, Lew. [Smile]

Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I agree wholeheartedly with Jon Stewart's overall premise." He said he believed that especially after the terror attacks on 9/11, viewers are interested in information, not opinion."

NO! That was not the correct conclusion to draw from Stewart's comments. Stewart was clearly not against opinion and debate being expressed on television news programs, (indeed, he explicitly stated that a real debate show would be a great thing) but was against the partisan hackery shown on shows like Crossfire.

Real debate is not about shouting inane partisan campaign slogans at your opponents; that is not debate, but demagoguery. That was what Stewart was clearly upset about. Have you ever watched Crossfire? The WWF analogy was not even close to being a joke; it was bang on accurate. Crossfire and shows like it are crude parodies of real debates.

[ January 08, 2005, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: jasonr ]

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lewkowski
Member # 2028

"
Real debate is not about shouting inane partisan campaign slogans at your opponents; that is not debate, but demagoguery. That was what Stewart was clearly upset about. Have you ever watched Crossfire? The WWF analogy was not even close to being a joke; it was bang on accurate. Crossfire and shows like it are crude parodies of real debates."

Real debate is stupid and unintresting and also not constructive. The point of shows like crossfire is to get each sides point of view across on a broad range of issues. Ie conservative stance on X issue is this. Liberal stance on X issue is this. They tend to be lock step with the offical position of both parties wrapped up in an entertaining way. Crossfire + Hannity/Colmes are VERY informative about how the political parties in this country look at things.

Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Real debate is stupid and unintresting and also not constructive."

So why exactly are you posting here?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Real debate is stupid and unintresting and also not constructive"

What can I say, except I strongly disagree. Real debate involves stating one's opinion, listening to the opinion of another person, and then attempting to achieve some kind of synthesis that incorporates the best of both sides. At the very least, even if it doesn't change anyone's mind, it forces people to think more critically and to defend their beliefs. I see nothing stupid about this.

"The point of shows like crossfire is to get each sides point of view across on a broad range of issues. Ie conservative stance on X issue is this. Liberal stance on X issue is this."

No. That is no more the point of Crossfire than the point of professional wrestling is to demonstrate athleticism and competitive spirit. Crossfire is an act; it is, as Stewart stated, a form of theatre. Each side states its slogans and does its best to sway the mob one way or the other, but this does not actually represent the true opinion of the commentators. The easiest way to recognize this is to watch a man like Paul Biggala: strange how his behavior radically changes depending on which show he's on. When he's on a serious news program, he actually talks about political strategy; he will actually tell you what each party is thinking, and will give credit to his ideological opponents when they score political points. By contrast, when he's on Crossfire, he will never say anything that is not an attack on his opponents. He will never acknowledge a single success, or grant them a single point. If John Kerry went on a chainsaw massacre and chopped up 100 schoolchildren, he'd find a way to change the topic to Haliburton. No one who watches this trash can sincerely believe that these guys are engaged in anything but demagoguery.

There are serious differences in ideology between democrats and republicans, but I have yet to see any of them discussed on Crossfire. They're much too busy tossing around the latest political gotcha, or throwing around mindless political slogans that have about as much intellectual content as a pro-wrestler's pre-fight interview.

[ January 09, 2005, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: jasonr ]

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lew - I find that 90 percent of the time talk shows contribute nothing. They state obvious generalities and expect applause for it.

I'll do my own thinking, thanks.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lewkowski
Member # 2028

"Lew - I find that 90 percent of the time talk shows contribute nothing. They state obvious generalities and expect applause for it."

Missing the point.

What is the conservative issue on some random news event. Watch crossfire and you'll hear it said by the two conservatives. Ditto with the liberal side.

I prefer the Hannity and Colmes format myself. Its an hour long, has interviews (like with the VP). Crossfire tends to be a bit too fast and not able to get the full back and forth.

TomDavidson
Member # 99

"What is the conservative issue on some random news event. Watch crossfire and you'll hear it said by the two conservatives. Ditto with the liberal side."

And you believe that this is an improvement on honest debate? That the world needs so badly to hear each side's talking points that we need television shows dedicated to nothing else?

Lewkowski
Member # 2028

"That the world needs so badly to hear each side's talking points that we need television shows dedicated to nothing else? "

Yes. How else can you determine which party to vote for?

FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You look at the talking points of the individuals you're voting for.

Who would look at party points to vote for canidates?

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lewkowski
Member # 2028

When parties tend to vote in blocks.
ed
Member # 1673

- posted      Profile for ed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
am i alone in finding it weird that this is listed on ars technica?

ed

Posts: 219 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"I guess I come down more firmly in the Jon Stewart camp," said CNN Chief Executive Jonathan Klein. Reacting to the news, Stewart said, "I had no idea that if you wanted a show canceled, all you had to do was say it out loud."
Hahaha... ooooh. Good stuff.

Oh, and by the way... thanks to the World Wrestling Federation being sued by the World Wildlife Fund, they have changed their name to the WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment. The wrestling shows had a big campaign about it too, something about "Get the F out".
What can I say, my brother TiVos the stuff.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page