Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The reason we're here is to wonder why we're here.
Then I'm working perfectly.

Bingo! Yahzee! Alpha Post!

KE

[ March 25, 2005, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, KE, it appears you and I share some qualities. I can see EVERY reason to doubt; I just choose to believe for 2 reasons: 1) I can't believe this is all an accident, and I think I'd go mad if I did; 2) I'd rather err on the hopeful side, if I have to err.

Most Christians would probably not call me a Christian. I call myself a Christian because I was raised that way and it's the way I choose to practice my spirituality. But I believe that I could have easily been a Jew or a Muslim -- it's an accident of birth. And I can't bring myself to believe in a God who would send good people to hell just because they were raised in a place where they never heard of Jesus (or were raised to think of Jesus as something bad). In fact, I have a real hard time believing in hell at all.

The Christian Bible says people were created in the image of God. I think we are each creating God in OUR image; if there is a God, he/she/it is much more than our puny minds can comprehend.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locus
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Locus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KE,

You have any idea what would happen to OrneryCon if OSC did show up there with any regularity?

Aside from the fact it would effectively kill the meeting it's really exhausting being around a crowd who watches you like you're some divine messenger.

Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slander Monkey
Member # 1999

- posted      Profile for Slander Monkey   Email Slander Monkey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite what the mice might tell us to the contrary, the answer is 40.

[ March 25, 2005, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Slander Monkey ]

Posts: 258 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly, you are reading the wrong "text" book, Mr. Monkey.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
Javelin's right. We';re critiquing hopefully Shakesperian output of a roomfull of typewriting monkeys. So far, no luck, just some dribble about hitchhiking around the galaxy...
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are now 12 alpha-posts in the "World without israel" thread. Perhaps a tournament of champions is needed...
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If KL and Dey didn't use up entire pages on their own, then perhaps the overall length of that thread would be shorter. The lengths of the posts would be easier to accept if everyone wasn't talking right past each other on that thread. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I thought the answer was 42?

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I missed the question. What is the answer, either 40 or 42, to?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidzmom
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for kidzmom   Email kidzmom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KE: on the whole matter of meeting (well-known) people you admire--I've been fortunate to meet the author Sherrilyn Kenyon (aka Kinley MacGregor), and I wanna be like her when I grow up!! Unfortunately, she's several years younger than me... [Roll Eyes] Anyway, she started off writing SF (with some romance), and now writes paranormal romance and historicals, and she's the most accessible published author I've ever met (and I've met several). She reads and posts on her bbs all the time, has on-line chats with her readers usually once a month (sometimes more), and meets with her fans whenever possible. I'm going to get to see her next weekend in Dallas, as she's to be the keynote speaker for a weekend writer's conference I'm attending. I may even get to go out to dinner with her (and several other folks). I think she's an incredibly talented, creative writer, and I'd probably read her stuff even if she wasn't so nice, but it sure puts the icing on the cake!

As for who else I'd like to meet--well, Shakespeare, without a doubt. Also, I'd like to meet some of my ancestors, like Ian MacDonald (12th chief of Glencoe), Jonathan Swift, and Robert E. Lee (they're scattered around my mom's family tree, along with plenty of fine, but unknown, folks). I'd love to meet Queen Boudiccea, and Elizabeth I, and Christina Rosetti. As far as live people go, hmm...that's tough! I'm still thinking...

Ken--once more, you leave me speechless [Eek!] .
On the matter of benefical organisms--are you thinking of beneficial flora and fauna? That's what I've heard the scientific set call the "helpful" bacteria and microorganisms on and in us.

Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidzmom
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for kidzmom   Email kidzmom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it's 42! (and don't forget your towel [Wink] )

(cperry--it's a reference from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

[ March 25, 2005, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: kidzmom ]

Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Life, the universe, and everything
javelin
Member # 1284

I want to meet your ancestors, too, kidzmom! [Smile]
kidzmom
Member # 2015

javelin--oops, my bad--it's been a couple of decades since I actually read it! [Razz] (BTW, this emoticon always makes me think of those books)

If I ever figure out how to meet'em, I'll take you along, jav!

cperry
Member # 1938

Thanks, KE. Let's see, I must have been in middle school when I read those, so ... 25 years later, I don't remember any of them! Must revisit, hmmm?
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
Speechless? Does that mean you won't talk dirty to me in my sleep any more?
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Dreams are dreams, KL - you can dream she talks dirty to you all you want....
KnightEnder
unregistered

kidzmom,

Life, the Universe, and Everything" is in the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series, so you weren't totally wrong.

cperry,

You definitely should read them again. Stacy got me the leather bound whole series book for my birthday one year, and I like them so much I reread them every 5 years or so.

I love the way we are the third smartest animal on Earth, mice and dolphins being first and second. And how mice are only part of a being, the part that projects into our dimension, and they test us by running the wrong way in mazes and dying for no reason during tests. Douglas Adams was truly unique.

KE

[ March 25, 2005, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Speaking of dreams.

I told Stacy about my "memories of dreams are the same as real memories" theory, and she said then Alyssa Milano should have me arrested for forcing her to have nonconsensual sex in my dreams. [Smile]

KE

[ March 25, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

cperry
Member # 1938

KE - Have you read Job: A Comedy of Justice? By Heinlein? I highly recommend it. You would love it, I'm guessing.
cperry
Member # 1938

That Stacy, she sounds pretty smart.
KnightEnder
unregistered

cperry,

I have read it several times and, yes, I love it. And, yes, Stacy is pretty smart, too smart if you ask me.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

I have something to admit that I am ashamed of. I Tivo'd Bill O'Reilly. I don't know how I'll live with myself. I hope Stacy never finds out.

KE

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I've never heard it called "Tivo" before [Razz]
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I posted this on the Terri Shivo thread, but I know not everybody reads that thread and I wanted to share my story (a real one, not an OWW one), with y'all.

My little boy Jacob was 3 years old when some tables fell on him at church and cracked his skull in five places, cut the temporal lobe in his brain, broke his right orbital structure, broke his nose which released air into his brain causing it to become infected with meningitis. When I picked him up and carried him out of that church his eyes were swollen shut and blood was pouring out of his head, his nose, and his ears.

We used to have this thing when he was a baby; I would say "I love my little man" and he would reply "I love my big man", then I would say "Sweetest Jake I ever seen" and he would say "Sweetest daddy I ever seen". Silly kinda thing you say when talking to your baby.

We rushed him to the hospital which was practically across the street, and they refused to treat him, said he was beyond their ability to help. He started throwing up the blood that had run into his stomach from his broken nose, and what they told us was brain matter was running out of his ears. (Turned out to be peices of his inner ear canal and not brain tissue.)The told us that we could life-flight him but his chances of survival were slim and they didn't think he would survive the flight. We of course insisted that they fly him to Herman's Children Hospital (one of the best hospitals in the country). He got there and went through three operations. He was unconscious for about a week and his heart stopped twice while he was in the ICU.

They finally took him out of ICU and put us in a room where we could sleep with him. He hadn't talked in all this time and we didn't know if there was any brain damage or if he would be able to talk or see or function when and if he got better.

One day a couple of weeks later I was holding him in bed and talking to him. I said; "I love my little man", and he whispered "I love my big man". And I said "sweetest Jake I've ever seen" and he said "sweetest daddy I ever seen" and hugged me. I've never cried so hard in all my life. From those two sentences I knew my little boy was still in there. He still couldn't see through his swollen eyes, or get up and move around, but I knew it was still him inside.

The doctor's said it was a miracle he survived. He is running around now, 9 years later, like it never happened. He doesn't remember much. He remembers sleeping in bed with dad and mom, stuffing himself with candy, and watching Power Rangers (God I hate that movie). So, it's a good memory for him. It was the worst three weeks of my life.

But even if he had been damaged in some way I would have wanted him to survive. I would have taken him any way I could have him if he would only live. So, I kind of know how Terri's parents must feel, and I am beyond words sorry for them. A parent should not have to outlive their child. I don't know what I would have done if Jake had been in a PVS for as long as she has been. Thank God I didn't have to make the decision they have. I don't think I would be able to let go either.

Oh, and I still say to Jake; I love my little man, and he still replies, I love my big man. He's the sweetest baby I've ever seen. I never look at him that I don't think how lucky, or blessed (whatever that means to you), to have him in my life. I treasure every day I have with him.

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

Wow, KE, what a powerful story. You and Jake ar so lucky. What a blessing.

I'm kind of in the same boat, opinion-wise, anyway. My mother- and father-in-law are visiting from FL, so they've heard this Schiavo story ad naseum. But what surprises me is that my m-i-l, who is VERY Catholic, thinks they ought to quit feeding her. So does my Catholic husband. I'm the only one in this house who feels any sympathy for the parents.

I have a living will; I do not want anyone to feel as if they have to take care of my body if my brain's not doing it for me. But since Terri didn't have one...well, it's a very difficult thing for a parent to do.

KnightEnder
unregistered

cperry, I need your email address if you want me to send you the OWW stories. Since your email address isn't available through OA, and due to the fact that I don't want to email through OA, nor even if I wanted to could I send attachments (stories) using the OA email link.

Email it to me and if you wish I will not diseminate it when I email out stories. However, if that is the case, maybe you would consider opening one of the free Google email accounts? They are invitation only, but I have a lot of invitations left and will be happy to send you, or anybody else that wants one, one. This way you could be part of the OWW and maintain some degree of aninimity, which I assume you want due to the fact that your email address is not available through OA.

And yes, Jake and I are very lucky. As close a reason as I can get for believing in God. [Smile]

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

I am so proud of myself. I spent 8 hours changing out the water pump in my Buick today (with the guidance of my mom's husband). Anybody that knows anything about working on a front-wheel drive cars knows what a bitch that is. I was never taught to work on cars when I was a kid, as a mechanic I was a pretty good jock. So this is quite an accomplishment for me. [Big Grin]

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

Here's to you, KE. I'm hoping never to have to master that particular task, but I understand the feeling of success.
cperry
Member # 1938

Weird question:
Does it ever happen to any of you that OA won't let you post a reply, asks you to wait 30 seconds and try again, and this keeps happening, and finally you end up with multiple identical posts so you have to go back and delete the repeats? Or is this just something wonky with my laptop?

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

KE:

Three years old. That's the bestest age, thus a horrid age to see your child's life flowing out from his head.

Like the former slave woman told Mark Twain about her life: she'd seen troubles, and she'd seen joy.

I can't tell you, o compagnaros, how great it is to be here on Terra with us all.

"Or is this just something wonky with my laptop?"

My guess is it's something in your browser settings.

KnightEnder
unregistered

KL,

Yeah, the best and thus the worst, but I got him back and it made me realize even more how special he was. I'm afraid I spoiled him for a few years after that, couldn't stand to see him cry. But, eventually I had to start being a dad again for his own good. But he is still special. And I agree that when they are babies is the best. When they first start realizing who you are, and reaching and hugging you, I really miss that.

cperry, never had that problem, maybe the OM knows something.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

The worst job of casting.

The new "Bewitched" movie stars Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrel. Kidman is okay, but wouldn't Jim Carrey have been perfect as Darrin?

KE

witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Orlando Bloom as a tough knight in Ridley Scott's Crusades movie seems equally bad. According to one movie site, he was fitted for a chest merkin so he'd look tougher.

Dan

(soundtrack, "Until I Fall Away" by Gin Blossoms)

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

He is a little "pretty" to play a tough guy.

Best casting ever was Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard on Star Trek the Next Generation) as Professor X.

On a seperate issue, and just for my general edification, is the group notified when someone is suspended or banned? What is the policy.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Stargate and Battle Star Gallactica just keep getting better and better. Does anyone know what the deal is with John Crighton from Farscape coming on SG1 next year? Is he going to join the cast, replace one of them, or what?

Army Camo

Does anyone know where I could find a picture of the new camoflage the Army (or Marines) is supposed to be going to? It's supposed to be good for jungle, desert, and urban warfare.

KE

[ March 28, 2005, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After lots of edits -- at first I was thinking WAY ahead to optical active camo --

Okay, I found it.

It's the ACU, or Army Comnbat Uniform. Here's the link with a pic.

The Army's own link

A better link from globalsecurity.org

[ March 28, 2005, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KE, that story made me want to have a kid for about 30 seconds, which is reallllly long for me.

CP- i had turkey, ham, and provolone on tomato basil today- REALLY good, worth the extra dollar [Smile]

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After lots of edits -- at first I was thinking WAY ahead to optical active camo --

HaHa!

Check out these links:
web page
and
web page

Edited to add:

I've seen Marines around here wearing the woodland MARPAT BDUs, but that's it.

[ March 28, 2005, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: A. Alzabo ]

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page