Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 13)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot Say Anything.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the BattleStar Gallactica finale. It was really, really good.

Even most main stream channel shows pale in comparison to the last few episodes of BSG.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I agree, it is a great show. Lost is getting pretty danged good as well.

KE

Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like House, when I get to see it (when it's my turn to put the girl down, it's a pitched battle. The boy is much more reasonable). I hope it doesn't degenerate into a soapy thing, though those are fine in their place (Everwood, for example. Darned hiatus). I much prefer it as it is, with the focus on diagnosis and the wonderful crankiness of its main character.

I also like Medium, for its marvelous depiction of marriage. That one I usually get to see, because if they're not asleep by 10, I start thinking Benadryl.

edit because, again, verbs are cool.

[ April 02, 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Funean ]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WmLambert
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for WmLambert   Email WmLambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last BSG WAS way, way out. How many cliffhangers are allowed before you automatically jump the shark? There's VP Gaius Baltar in a crucifiction position lying in a field on Kobol after seeing Rosemary's baby... there's Lt. Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace screaming because a Cylon Sharon 'Boomer' Valerii is also carrying Rosemary's baby... President Laura Roslin is in prison on the orders of Commander William "Husker" Adama, who is himself gutshot by the original Sharon 'Boomer' Valerii and lying in that same cruxifix position in a pool of blood backlit by an unused light box... There is Captain Lee 'Apollo' Adama under arrest for mutiny... and Col. Saul Tigh, a drunken cuckold ready to shoot the next person who blinks.

This is a great show, but have they taken it too far? I guess we wait and see.

This scares me, because of the last great shows I've enjoyed, Cupid, Sports Night, and Monk... The first two were cancelled, and Monk is teetering on whether to jump or not by firing Bitty Schram. Of course its on the same time as DSG so the TV Gods are laughing, antyway.

Posts: 1372 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm cleaning out my library, which also serves, sadly, as a dumping ground for things like the Christmas boxes, outgrown kid clothes, filing, etc...it's a tragedy, but improving, but now I've diverted myself from anything productive by organizing the books. Since we moved here with 57 boxes of books (the movers counted them in horror) and added many more in the 6 years since then, I should be able to completely avoid anything like real cleaning for days.

I'm finding lots of old friends and wondering if folks here enjoy similar stuff, and/or can suggest new authors (because, of course, it simply isn't possible to have too many books).

My best loved single book: "Winter's Tale," by Mark Helprin. Gorgeous, just gorgeous.

Anything by Andrew Vachhs, but particularly the lovely noir Burke series

Sheri Tepper, despite her tedious polemics, for her fabulous imagination

Charles DeLint, when I'm feeling in need of fairies

Richard Tannenbaum's Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi series--just great, for wit and snappy dialogue

John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee series. I've been in love with Travis since I was 12.

Nearly all science fiction, though like someone else said, I never really did see what all the fuss about Dune was.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, and I'm leaving the shameful loves out, as I'm just not ready to admit them here. [Smile]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

We love House. We Tivo Veronica Mars and watch House. And I loved Sports Night, too. It amazes me some of the good shows that don't make it. Like Life as We Know It.

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TV show I loved the most and was totally despondent about when it concluded is China Beach. I cannot wait for it to come out on DVD, if it ever does.

Funny how many of us here like Veronica and House.

Funean - I just couldn't get into Helprin's Winter's Tale. Have you read anything by Octavia Butler?

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

I forgot about Octavia Butler. It seems to me that I read the first couple books of a series or trilogy, fell into despair waiting for the next, and then completely forgot her. As I recall she was great...isn't there some kind of unique take on what would otherwise be a convention of the genre? Must go to library...

You have to get past the first couple of chapters of Winter's Tale, as they meander. It's worth it, really.

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funean - I'll dig up Winter's Tale and give it another go. It does help to know that perhaps there is a struggle at the beginning that's worth it. Do look for Butler. I have her trilogy in one volume. There are other good ones, too. (If getting up the stairs wasn't such a trial right now, I'd run up there and get some titles for you!) I'm sure you've read The Sparrow, yes?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

<small voice>

I'm not sure. I don't remember the titles I did read, just that they came as a breath of fresh air. Er, one was blue. This was like 17 or 18 years ago. I'll look her up immediately, really.

<end small voice>

Regarding Winter's Tale, if you like lyrical language, heartbreaking faith in humanity despite full awareness of our frailties and vast swooping stories....well, I'm not objective. If you hate magical realism it might annoy you in parts, although it's not fully of that genre. But anyone who loves the English language should read it.

KnightEnder
unregistered

I just last night read "Speech Sounds" by Octavia Butler. It was a great short story.

CPerry, this is getting weird. (Twilight Zone music plays) I think we were meant for each other. Do you believe in soul mates? [Wink]

The story was in the anthology Future On Ice, edited by Orson Scott Card. In the forward OSC says whenever he is asked who his favorite science fiction writer is his short answer is Ocavia Butler. High praise, indeed, coming from the guy I consider the best.

KE

[ April 02, 2005, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

cperry
Member # 1938

F - an even better reason for me to read it. I'll def give it a second shot. The Sparrow is by Russell, not Butler. Sorry for the confusion. I get lazy sometimes and leave out important info.

KE - I do believe in soulmates. Also in kindred spirits. Cool to know OSC likes Butler. In his comments to the VA English teachers assoc, he said Asimov was "the best" writer. But in my introductory comments, I mentioned Butler. Maybe that won me a brownie point or two. (Brainlessly, I helped myself to a cinnamon Altoid after his speech, as we were setting up for his signing, and I failed to offer him any. Dumb nerves.)

cperry
Member # 1938

KE - I havent' read Speech Sounds. Will look for it. Glad to know there's more of her stuff out there.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Kindred spirits. We are definitely that. And it fits perfectly. Also, it saves us the trouble of getting rid of our spouses. [Smile]

KE

[ April 02, 2005, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

cperry
Member # 1938

I suspect they'll be glad to hear that!
Funean
Member # 2345

Oh and I forgot Connie Willis's "To Say Nothing of the Dog" and several others.

edited because I care about apostrophes

[ April 02, 2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Funean ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

I can't beleive I forgot this one.
This one is my favorite Teen Movie of all time:

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off"

If I could still edit my list
I would go back and make this number 1.

KE

[ April 03, 2005, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

cperry
Member # 1938

KE - This is uncanny. I thought of Ferris Bueller's Day Off last night and wondered it if was too late to return to the teen movie conversation.

Really really weird.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Any minute Rod Serling is gonna pop up. (Twilight Zone theme music)

KE

EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ WmLambert:

I had a problem with the BG season finale too. It was just TOO much.

*** Spoiler Alert ***

I can take most of what happened, but Sharon flying onto the Basestar, leaving a nuke then flying back to the Galactica to shoot Adama bordered on the ABSURD!

First, the Basestar BS was to Borg-esque for me. No identification protocols (other than the transponder). No visual identification procedures. No "what is your purpose in coming here?" "What's the secret password?"

"We know the Galactica's near, we just shot down one of their Raptors, so, you couldn't possibley be a Raptor from the Galactica carrying a nuke and a stolen transponder intent on destroying us."

"Sure! Come on board! Leave the nuke! We wanna die!"

If that wasn't goofy enough. Then she goes back and shoots Adama.

Seems to me, were I a Cylon agent, I'd wanna do B first, so I wouldn't have to do A.

This show has been good, but it has stretched credibility on many occasions. This is one of those occasions.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

**********Spoiler Alert**********

And why was the ship so biological?
I realize they are biological robots but
what was the purpose of all the ooze or whatever.

And Boomer, talk about conflicted. She kills all
the cylons like her, then kills Adama?
Pick a side, lady!

And Adama has to be dead. He lost way to much blood
and she hit way to many vital organs
for him to make it. So is he gone
from the show?

And why did the cylon Starbuck was
fighting die from a rod through the back?
Are they exactly the same as us
with all our weaknesses? That would
be stupid. Especially for the ones
that weren't going to be working in
close proximity to humans. And she
handled Starbuck like a child until
Starbuck suddenly overwhelms her and
knocks her off the one-story drop, that
Starbuck survives and the robot doesn't.

Where do the eggs come from for
the cylon women to get pregnant?
And why are they trying to have
babies and falling in love with
humans now? Why couldn't they
"just get along" with us at first?
I'm a little vague on the first episode
so if anyone knows the answer to
these questions I would appreciate it.

I really like the show,
but this wasn't their best.

KE

[ April 03, 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
funean, i haven't read a single one of the authors you listed, so my recommendation powers are poor, but here are my favorite authors/the book i like best by them:

douglas coupland, "microserfs"
tom robbins, "fierce invalids home from hot climates"
chris moore, "Lamb: the gospel according to biff, christ's childhood pal."
chuck palahniuk, "survivor"
jincy willett, "jenny and the jaws of life"
michael chabon, "the amazing adventures of Kavalier and Clay"

other random books: clevenger, "the contortionist's handbook." niffenegger, "the time traveler's wife." burroughs, "dry" and "running with scissors." anything david sedaris or sarah vowell does. chalmers, "who's who in hell." dunn, "geek love."

i heart books.

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

Boooooks (long shuddering Homer Simpson moan)

Yeah, they're pretty much food to me. I forgot Tom Robbins and David Sedaris, whom I love. Loved "Geek Love" too. The rest...I HAVE NOT READ. Joy!!! (rummages about, looking for library card).

cperry
Member # 1938

Well, I'll ditto the recs on Michael Chabon . Kavalier and Clay was fantastic.
cperry
Member # 1938

Hey. Anyone else with a Gmail account unable to get into your inbox?

For awhile, I couldn't even get Gmail to come up. Now I can't get my box to open when I login. All I get is this crazy activity at the bottom of my screen as if my login has entered some space-time loop.

FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KnightEnder said
quote:
He lost way to much blood and she hit way to many vital organs for him to make it.
I disagree. I've heard of a guy that was shot seven times in the chest and abdomen. By the time he got to the hospital he was bleeding pink (due to the huge amount of saline), and decompensating, but he was still alive. The human body is an amazing thing - it can shrug off mortal injuries with little issue. Given that the 'tech in BSG seems both futuristic and antiquated, it is a bit hard to make a case either way.

--Firedrake

[Edited to clarify and delete]

[ April 03, 2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: FiredrakeRAGE ]

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I hope you're right, I like Adama.

KE

fotwennytime
Member # 1037

- posted      Profile for fotwennytime   Email fotwennytime   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I never really did see what all the fuss about Dune was.

my favorite part of dune was deciphering all of the drug references, and figuring out which frank herbert was on.
Posts: 420 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*** continued Galactica Spoiler Alert ***

@ KnightEnder & FiredrakeRAGE

Don't worry guys, despite the numerous shots fired, Boomer clearly missed Adama's _contract._ [Wink] As far as I know, it was renewed, so he will be returning to for another season.

As to the questions you raise, KE...

I think the best answer offered so far about the human-form Cylons is that they are actually human clones modified to fit Cylon needs.

I'm guessing, but I suspect that the reason why there are only twelve models is that this is the number of humans that the cylons could successfully clone and modify and that those modifications rendered them "mules;" they can mate but cannot have children. I think the whole Rosemary's baby thing is to create human servants that can reproduce.

But, as I said, I'm just guessing.

As to Boomer picking a side, she's a "sleeper" agent, as I understand it, who only suspects that she's a cylon; well, OK, she KNOWS it now. My issue with the whole thing is that if your "sleeper programming" is gonna suddenly wake up, its gonna be before your "enemy" does great damage to you, not afterwards.

But the truth is, her "sleeper programming" woke up so we could have an "exciting season finale" regardless of how absurd it was.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even bring myself to watch BG. I grew up on the original, and remember playing Starbuck, Apollo, and Boomer on the swingsets at school. Cylons were crappy robot costumes with a swerving LED that squeaked as it panned back and forth.

Why can't they just make a new story about Earth colonies that get attacked? They're sponging off the old name, and that's just plain lazy. It may be a very good series, but I'll stick with my memories (which are also much cooler than watching reruns of the old show).

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
Banuyo

Carangidae, exship? Unscanty talismanist decocainize nearly before Ephraitic unchronicled

And so on. A whole page of it. Somebody's experiment with a random generator using a dictionary? This one I really like:

promisable beauteously upblacken overswing. Paternalist: glossarially nonrefueling toxicosis typologically

[ April 05, 2005, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I grew up loving that show too. I wonder if the reruns of this BSG will look as silly as those do? I guess they will but I don't see how.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Anyone know why we evolved to be one hand dominate? Wouldn't evolving to be ambidextrous make more sense?

KE

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
"Anyone know why we evolved to be one hand dominate? Wouldn't evolving to be ambidextrous make more sense?"

Since we seem to crossover from right to left and left to right between brain and body symmetry, perhaps survival favored those who trained one side of the brain to master things like spear-chucking, which only needs on arm anyway (one can't effectively throw two objects at once).

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Another short story in the anthology edited by OSC "Future On Ice" is a story titled "Press Enter" by John Varley it is the best short story I've ever read. The second best was one of the winners of the first Phobos Writers Contest. I don't remember the author or title, I'll have to find it, but it was about new armor that render the wearer and his unit invisable in the field. I know it doesn't sound like much but the twist was awesome.

KE

[ April 05, 2005, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Funean
Member # 2345

KL:
If you don't have spam protection, some of the automails have really spectacular names. To wit, from my box:

Staphlococci R. Sally
Dracula Fishman
Elwood Fleabane

and my favorite

John Thomas Long

KE:

I'm going to have go out and get this anthology. Oh, and do you ever sleep? [Smile]

More authors I like: Carol O'Connor (Mallory series); China Mieville (King Rat, Scar, Perdito Station)

KnightEnder
unregistered

Weird hours. I've always been a nightowl. To bad the world doesn't work on that schedule.

KE

OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone know why we evolved to be one hand dominate? Wouldn't evolving to be ambidextrous make more sense?
Yes, and I've always thought that those of us who can write with either hand have way more survival value than the rest of you who can't. [Cool]
Evolution works as a selective force - there would have to be differential survival and/or reproductive success between single-hand dominance and ambidexterity for the predominant phenotype to change. It's not enough for ambidexterity to be a better idea -- something would have to make righthandedness disadvantageous relative to ambidexterity in order for anything to change.
I am just making this up, however.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

quote:
In my opinion, this is one of those "limits to the possible" kinda things, KE.

Take a book, place it a foot in front of your nose and look at it. How well can you read it? Now, take that same book, and hold it at an angle to your face so that it is at the edge of your peripheral vision. How much detail can you make out now?

You have an area of focus in the center of your vision that allows you to process more detail than the rest of your field of vision. This, I believe, is because more "processing power" is required to comprehend that information.

I believe the same is true for hand/eye coordination, the finer control of your hands that you need, the more processing power from the brain is required to control it.

As to why left or right? I suspect that one hand dominates because one side of the brain dominates, the side that is best able to manage the task.

Ed.

This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page