Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 142)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  139  140  141  142  143  144  145  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
Greatest Chinese restaurant sign of all the best of all best possible worlds
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I am true blue loyal and faithful to this one
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ke-ai Long FanGuanr"
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"dinner party?"

People...invite other people over for dinner...and eat...INDOORS?!?!?!

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's mosquito season in Florida, you're damn skippy they do.
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take an earthquake once in awhile over Florida Mosquitos anyday.

Two days on a reservation in middle of alligator alley waiting for a truck to get fixed. Those things are nasty.

Michigan is still worse, though, and the High Sierras in spring are the worst I've ever seen....although I've never been on an Amazonian Expediation.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Watched "Music and Lyrics" again.

Which do y'all think are more important?

I say words. But then I aspire.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:

How White Are You?

I'm fair to middling.

I first heard of this site a few weeks ago, and I heard about it again on the radio just last night! The thing is, if you're insulted by it you probably deserve to be. And a lot of stuff has been said by conservative white people, too---the coffee entry could have been written by Michael Savage.

I thought the Japan entry was going to hit too close to home for me, but it didn't even mention video games.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Okay, I just listened to Falco's "Der Kommisar" in German and Din Da Da, back to back. I want to change my vote to "Music".

KE

flydye45
unregistered

Checked out the site. It should read "White and Liberal are you?"

Whole Foods, Marathons, Graduate degrees and Vegetarianism aren't exactly Red State kind of stuff. Though I do like Sushi and Musical Comedies.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Lotsa conservatives like vegan foods et al. One of our more notorious conservatives, I forget her name, blink or twinky, was the most helpful of all here at Ornery with suggestions for switching from meat to vegetarian cuisine and have it still taste good.

And she was a down right conservative.

winkey! that's her name!

And what's this about graduate degrees? Lissen, bub, I was born in South Carolina, and they got all the Ph.Ds you could ask for.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Winkey, CP, Zyne, SB, Carlotta, Star Lisa a lot of our Ornery women are AWOL. Or in Carlotta's case; will be absent with leave. Anybody heard anything about her baby?

KE

hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The baby is probably wet, whether or not it has been born yet. That is endemic with babies. But since starLisa made four posts today, the report of her being AWOL seems exaggerated.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I've been here all day. She must be posting on the wrong threads. [Wink]

KE

OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, goodness. I signed up for one of those "Save Darfur" mailing lists, although I'm not exactly going to any rallies while I'm over here. Today I got an e-mail from the organization, informing me that since they began aggressively campaigning about Chinese involvment in the Darfur situation, there have been attempts to monitor their servers, intercept e-mails, and send malware their way. Apparently some hackers made it onto their system and got the names and e-mails of their supporters, and it appears the attempt originated in China.

Silly, silly China!

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

Anybody know of any good human rights organizations?
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

http://www.hrw.org/
TommySama
Member # 2780

Thanks a lot Jesse. I love you. :-*
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

You homo [Wink]
Jesse
Member # 1860

Hush.

We love each other like MEN.

Not in a sweet gentle Homo way.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Bitch. Butch. Bitch. Butchy bitches, ye'z be.
TommySama
Member # 2780

"Not in a sweet gentle Homo way."

Exactly. More in a rough, spit in yer hand for lube kind of way. So less gay.

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here, KE. Just ramdomly.

Babies it is.

But music, for sure. Lyrics def second.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here.

I just don't ever feel like I have anything smart to say.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Exactly. More in a rough, spit in yer hand for lube kind of way. So less gay."

We approach the border of a beer commercial...

TommySama
Member # 2780

I am now back in the home front, Minnesota.

I totally got to order alcoholic drinks at a comedy club in NYC. Go me!

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You managed to avoid tipping off the waiter with your glee?
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aye, Lisa. Saying smart stuff is hard. But saying hard stuff is smart. Or something...

KE, I'd definitly say I enjoy music more than lyrics. There is something very visceral and sensual about it. When I'm in the mood for it, however, I like to really listen to lyrics and try to analyze what they mean. Since my father and I tend to like the same kind of music, analyzing the lyrics of songs is a kind of intellectual exercise we do together.

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
You managed to avoid tipping off the waiter with your glee?

Naw man, I was sly. I was all like, "I will have a Heineken, and the lady will have a raspberry mojito."

And he was all like, "... alright."

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very smart not to try to order a whole bottle of Jagermeister.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

"Um, yes, I'll take a bottle of your finest Karkov, four Jag bombs, and the lady will have a raspberry mojito." [Smile]

We already had booze, but it was cool being able to order it!

scifibum
Member # 945

People in my home state are very uptight about checking IDs. Even though I'm 30 I still get ID'd about 1 in 4 times when I'm buying beer/booze. The most paranoid are the grocery stores & restaurants - the (state-run) liquor stores are least likely to ID me (despite that there I'm buying the higher-octane stuff).

When I'm on business in California I have not once been ID'd when ordering a drink with dinner or buying alcohol from a grocery store.

I think there are two main factors in Utah:

1) A lot of the people working in the retail establishments that sell liquor but don't specialize in it are Mormons. I think their cultural disapproval of alcohol consumption causes them to regard those who are indulging with automatic suspicion. ("Sure, he looks 30, but what if he's just a world-worn 19 year old trying to get away with something naughty? Must Investigate!") I wonder if Bible-belt states have the same phenomenon.

2) The Establishment* in Utah has a vested interest in controlling liquor sales. There are a number of idiosyncratic alcohol laws that surprise visitors to the state and frustrate the residents. In addition to the numerous laws there is a surprising amount of zeal in enforcement. The state alcohol commission not only runs the liquor stores but is also in charge of enforcement & sentencing for violations (a little exception to the normal checks and balances). They have been known to go to lengths to "sting" bars (aka "private clubs", in an example of one of the stupider rules) for serving a drunk person - by buying drinks for the person to get them drunk in the first place. Also they frequently hire young'uns to attempt to buy alcohol to catch stores for not ID'ing. (They don't do this in their own stores.) So of course there's some paranoia on the part of vendors to not get burned.

Just started thinking about this since Tommy's getting away with ordering drinks in NY (and presumably not MN).

*It's not official, of course, but it might as well be. Most of the lawmakers here are LDS. It's a higher percentage than the actual demographics of the population. Gerrymandering has occurred and I believe it's a factor in the makeup of the legislature.

TommySama
Member # 2780

I've never tried to buy in Minnesota since I've always had people who could just pick it up for me. It's not illegal here to try to buy or order alcoholic drinks, so I think I'm just going to start trying and see what happens.
Jesse
Member # 1860

James Carville has finally one upped his "drag a hundred dollar bill through a trailer park" remark.

quote:
James Carville "told the New York Times that Richardson, who was in Bill Clinton's Cabinet, had committed 'an act of betrayal,' adding that it 'came right around the anniversary of the day when Judas sold out for 30 pieces of silver, so I think the timing is appropriate, if ironic.'"

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Sort of NSFW but worth it even so:

http://thepoorman.net/2008/03/22/seriously/

The first one I dedicate to TommySam and Jesse.

The second one I dedicate to Phyllis Diller.

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa M.:
I'm here.

That happens, too. Not sure if it's the constant baby-talk around here (not that that's your problem, Lisa M) or if it's the topics lately or just ennui.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Texas is weird. I've bought wine and beer at a babyfaced 19, and been carded at 34. There's no telling. It may not be PC, but it seems that different races have more trouble telling ages. Or maybe ME's just don't care about that law as much?

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:

Is it a Freudian slip if I first read that: "The first one I defecate to TommySam and Jesse"?
KnightEnder
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa M.:
I'm here.

Damn, is that a requirement now? [Smile]

KE

TommySama
Member # 2780

quote:
Originally posted by cperry:
quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:

Is it a Freudian slip if I first read that: "The first one I defecate to TommySam and Jesse"?
The only defecate here is people saying TommySam and not TommySama, like God (me) intended.
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  139  140  141  142  143  144  145  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page