Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
"Anyone like to hand out some things to do in Chicago reccomendations?"

If it's a weekend, the Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum will more than fill your time. But you can always take in an evening under the indoor stars of the Adler Planetarium... and get yourself a Chicago style hot dog. They're good.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think my nose affliction is gone, it's given way to truly spectacular booger production.

everyone totally wanted to know that

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's your body's helpful effort to protectively coat the stingy place. If my experiences in this area are anything to judge by, this stage will go on for weeks, until you are ready to hack your nose off with a cheese slicer.

It's been a long winter.

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
CPerry, you know you have mine. Let us know how you are as soon as you can.

Witless, if you go to Wrigleyville the people in the bars there are really friendly. It was like being in Cheers.

SB, my nose is better today too. But I don't have boogers, ever.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foliated
Member # 2041

- posted      Profile for foliated   Email foliated   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago recommendations. All info is as of mid 1998, so ymmv.

When I lived there, one of my favorite things to do was to ride a bike along the lake. There's a bike path that goes from about the 60's on the south side all the way to ... well into the north side, almost Evanston. If memory serves, there are several bike rental places downtown. They might be opening up now that the weather is getting good. And the part near the center of the city is very nice. If there isn't a place to get a bike, you can always walk part of it, too.

Don't forget the deep-dish pizza - my favorite was from Giordano's - so thick, a single slice was basically a meal. I suggest pineapple and canadian bacon as your toppings, but lots of other things are good, too.

what else?

The Smart Museum at the University of Chicago - very small, but very nice. Also the Oriental Institute a couple of blocks away.

The water tower at the north end of the magnificent mile. The mile itself, however didn't impress me too much.

Then there's the "views from tall buildings" - the John Hancock building at the north end of the magnificent mile, and the Sears Tower ... somewhere near the main Post Office/Train station.

Since you're going there for a weekend, dim sum in Chinatown in the morning (roughly Wentworth and Cermak.) The lines can get really long, so maybe it's good to get there as early as feasible, and to ask around to find a good restaurant to go to.

They have boat tours that start on the river, near where Michigan Avenue crosses the Chicago River. (You go to the bridge and walk down). You can see a lot of stuff from the boats.

Wow, thanks for the trip down memory lane! [Smile] I hope you enjoy your stay.

Posts: 123 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Drake,

1,000 Congratulations!

KE

[ April 14, 2005, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Drake,

1,000 Congratulations!

KE

Dang, I missed it. Now I'll never know what my 1000th post was.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Yeah you can. Just count back posts down the thread list, or using the time stamps.

KE

javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else wondering how cperry is doing?
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Anybody know exactly what procedure she was having done?

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heya, I'm back! (get it -- back?)

So, Thursday at 2:30pm, I registered at the hospital, rolled into the operating room at 4pm, took 3 deep breaths of oxygen, (apparently had the scheduled hemilaminectomy), woke up at 5:30 in recovery, said hi to my surgeon and anesthesiologist, rolled up to my room at 6pm (actually, we raced with another patient going up to our room -- and my gurney won), chatted with my mom and hubby for awhile, finally walked to the bathroom (standing up straight!) and peed at 7:30, and left at 8pm.

I had a herniated L5-S1 that had kept me home from work, pretty much flat on my back, since March 11.

I hope to be back at work on Monday! It's amazing!

Thanks for your positive vibes. I really really do appreciate them. I've had surgery before, but not since my stroke (when I was 27), and I was a bit nervous.

Happy happy! [Smile]

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! Sounds like everything went fabulously. My dad suffered with 2 herniated discs for something like 10 years before he finally gave in and had them fused. It's a nightmare and I'm so glad yours were repairable.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funean - fusing is a lot more serious. They just had to trim some disc. I have 3 other herniated discs, but we're hoping they don't cause me any serious problems. I can't imagine how so many people spend so much of their lives in pain. It just boggles my mind.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
"i think my nose affliction is gone, it's given way to truly spectacular booger production.
everyone totally wanted to know that
"

It was worth just to see the words "truly spectacular booger production" in just that order.

Madame Perry: it's good to see you back. I was distracted by the swallowing of a teaspoon or so of blood every minute all yesterday, so I failed to send a prayer you way at the designated time.

But I thought of you this morning.

My wife had 3 cervical vertebrae fused last July. That flat on your back stuff gets way way way way way way way way way way way way OLD........

And now, ladies and gentlemen, for your amazement, simplybiological and her sequined-millipede (or whatever it is) will demonstrate her truly spectacular boogers...

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Thanks, KL, for the thoughts this am. I was actually at my worst pain this morning, so you probably helped.

I'm with you on the "way..." old business. Though I imagine swallowing teaspoonfuls of blood every minute also gets a bit tedious.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Though I imagine swallowing teaspoonfuls of blood every minute also gets a bit tedious."

It wouldn't have been so bad except that the blood, apparently, triggered some wicked reaction with the lingering remnants of a sore throat that is the hallmark of the New Flu in these parts of late.

Every time I swallow, it feels like someone jabs a popsicle stick in my glottis.

I suspect my thoughts didn't do any good at the time (your wicked AM pain) but it's always nice to hear that folks give a cahoot, eh?

KnightEnder
unregistered

Cperry, I'm glad everything turned out well for you.

KL, I hope you get to feeling better. Are you taking anything for it? Is there nothing that makes it more beareable? Like popsicles for instance? Or honey with whiskey, that seems to help everything? Or does anyone know a home-remedy that would help KL?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but we need a "prayer" emoticon.

Edited to add: And yes it is great to have people who care. I have to give a nod to our friends over at AI-Jane, they, and the people here, were great when I was going through my job problems awhile back. [Smile]

KE

[ April 17, 2005, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Popsicles require swallowing. Honey-whiskey might help insofar as alcohol is anesthetical. The codeine cough syrup is good stuff; it takes the edge off so it becomes an annoying pain rather than an exasperating pain.

A prayer emoticon would be aptly be 2 hands held together. The clasping of hands is an old gestural symbol meaning 'my hands are bound before thee Lord'.

I'm a big fan of plecebo effects. And powerful drugs. The two combined are mighty mighty.

Funean
Member # 2345

KL,

You can get your pharmacist to mix you up a gargle of benzocaine. I don't know if a scrip is needed or not; my pediatrician dashed off a recipe when my son had wicked post-tonsillitis pain and the surgeon had only provided tylenol with codeine, which was making him sleep all the time whilst not really relieving the pain.

I think it had benzocaine, a wee bit of peroxide, flavor and maybe soda water. The big benefit is you don't have to swallow (and shouldn't!), while it provides blissful numbing without paralysis.

cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
I suspect my thoughts didn't do any good at the time (your wicked AM pain) but it's always nice to hear that folks give a cahoot, eh?

I have no proof, and I'm certainly no expert, but my life experiences have suggested to me that, despite the cliche, there is power in positive thinking. I'd just as soon have a lot of happy thoughts headed my way than anything else.

Therefore, I shall concentrate on sending you some positive, no-pain-in-the-throat vibes. (If nothing else, it makes ME feel as if I'm doing something positive in this mad mad world.)

cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Cperry, I'm glad everything turned out well for you....I can't believe I'm saying this, but we need a "prayer" emoticon.

Thanks, KE. I really like your prayer emoticon idea. And prayer doesn't have to be religious, so it's not so off the wall for you to have thought of it!
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"it provides blissful numbing without paralysis."

WHAT!!??!! No PARALYSIS!!??!! We wuz ROBBED! [Wink]

The throat thing has been abating since this AM. It's fading to a moderate annoyance.

Sending thoughts via emal works real good, methinks.

potemkyn
unregistered

<Potemkyn strolls in wondering what this thread is about>

<He obviously comes in half way through a strange converstation and starts slowly backing out the door hoping no one will notice.>

KnightEnder
unregistered

Too late! Potemkyn get back in here! All the conversations in here are weird. That's the point. Stick around awhile and we'll suck you into one. But, seriously this is a place to say hey and discuss casual things that might not be worthy of a whole thread or just ask how somebody or everybody is doing. Or send prayers for somebody, like CPerry, during her recent surgery, or help another member with a home remedy, like Fun did recently for KL.

This is kinda like the OA crackerbarrel that our "village" sits around and shoots the breeze. And everybody is welcome, especially you.

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

Yeah, Potemkyn. It's here at the miscellaneous thread that Simplybio and I found we shared a deep appreciation for 7-11 sandwiches. I mean, where else would something magical like that happen?!
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"I mean, where else would something magical like that happen?!"

There were buns on the grill
But we never smelled them toasting
No we never smelt them at all
Till we ate two...

potemkyn
unregistered

hmmm...

I don't know. My small talk is generally pretty weak. I don't stay up to date on anything that most people find relevant, and I refuse to talk for the sake of talking, so this might not work out.

The other problem is that my pop culture skills are atrocious, so I feel that I'll probably only make a weak addition to the misc. roster.

But I'll keep an eye out.

potemkyn
unregistered

see...um...yeah...

maybe I'm not cool enough, but I have no idea what kenmeer is saying right now. No clue.

What am I supposed to do in this case? Write counter-prose?

I put the pickle in the microwave
It seemed smart at the time
Sadly eating it made me crazy
And made me burst into rhyme...

simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pickles glow if you hook them up to an electrical source.

cp- new sandwich- turkey and pepperoni on tomato basil bread with some sort of feta spread. it's in the higher cost bracket though....

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

SB,

A friend of mine once told me that frogs turn themselves inside out if you put bleach on them. I have the same question for you that I had for her wrt the pickles:

How does one happen upon this sort of discovery?

(NB: the frog thing was a laundry accident. No intentional animal torture here.)

EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How does one happen upon this sort of discovery?
Boredom?

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

How does a frog turn itself inside out?

Potemkyn - Nice quatrain. Has a pleasant sweet-sour appeal to it.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

How does a frog turn itself inside out?
Does it push itself out from within?
Does it grip with its mandible some kind of handle
That puts guts where once there was skin?

"maybe I'm not cool enough, but I have no idea what kenmeer is saying right now. No clue."

As if anyone else does? Around here I'm the Delphic Booracle.

Funean
Member # 2345

Oh, bravo, kenmeer. Just....bravo.

I think you should run for OA Poet Laureate. Ornreate?

Funean
Member # 2345

I'm trying to come up with the "NO, a frog doesn't." part, but failing. Rats.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Or does it exhale from deep in itself
So deeply its innards evert?
While the vacuum within sucks up its green skin
As its anus lets in a loud burp?

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

And now the household juke plays the original 'Milestones'... 1958 was really a marvelous year. 1955 to 1965 was the high-water decade mark for American culture, in my not at all humble opinion.

[ April 19, 2005, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

When I was six-years-old I saw a frog turned inside out. The neighbor kids were putting firecrackers in their mouths and lightning them. I was horrified. Me and my sister went around that night and rounded up all the forgs we could find, put them in my football helmet and brought them to our room for safety. They all escaped during the night. Luckily my mom is a big-time animal lover and was proud of us, rather than upset when she found fifty frogs hopping around the house the next morning. [Smile]

KE

[ April 19, 2005, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

cperry
Member # 1938

Yuck. I've never heard of such stuff. I guess I lived a sheltered childhood. Maybe it's part of being a girl and a bookworm. Used to catch lizards but would never have even had the firecrackers around, much less thought of putting them in some poor critter's mouth.

KE - Your mom's my hero.

KL - Great verse. I like the last line of the 2nd quatrain. Much fun.

cperry
Member # 1938

.kniht I ,sdrawkcab m’I” .dekaeuqs eh “!on hO”
.niks saw ecno tahw si gniees m’I siht lla oS
?tuo era sedisni ym that ,neht, naem siht seoD
“.tuop ot tnaw I fi -- traf tsum I sseug I

This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page