Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 197)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  194  195  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just glanced at OSC's new article.

I admit that I really totally like admire him for being a democrat but totally supporting John McCain on every single issue. That's so totally amazing.

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
------------------------
- ^
- / \

Take the lighter group (now known as 1A-5A)

A1 A2 A3 A4
------------------------
- ^
- / \ A5

Take the lighter group (now known as B1-B2), or if there is no lighter group, A5 is dud

B1 B2
------------------------
- ^
- / \

[ November 01, 2008, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: FiredrakeRAGE ]

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Munga,

Could be worse - he could support all of Obama's positions [Smile]

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FDR -
What if the dud is heavier than a bomb? You don't know if it is the heavy group or the light group that has the dud.

A(123) B(456) C(789) 10

Balance A vs B and A vs C (using up two of the three weighings)
if A=B=C, then the dud is #10
if not, then two of the groups will be equal, and the third will be different. (heavier or lighter, it doesn't matter)
take the 'off' group and balance two of them. You already know if the dud is heavy or light from the results of the first round.

edited because the stupid form skips all extra spaces when it posts

[ November 01, 2008, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Brian ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
"Heroes"

Veronica Mars and the Cheerleader hold hands. Hey, it's a start. [Smile]

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"My friends, I haven't been vindicated by anything."

Best. Election. Ever.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

Is there a help page for the forum? I'm curious about what some of the buttony things I've never used do.
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an FAQ link at the top right of the page, but I have no idea what it contains.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just ran across this, and it's amusingly accurate. I especially like #9, "Sickness." Ayup.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Funean. Nice link. Thank goodness, no pinworms yet. <shudder>
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually not sure how I'd know if my kids had pinworms. I mean, I think the main symptom is anal itching at night, and I haven't been watching to see whether they have itchy bums while they sleep. I guess maybe the general lack of nighttime crying and complaining about a hurty bum is a good sign. (?)

[ November 01, 2008, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Wow Funean that was right on the money. Though not in order.

KE

OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coastal drilling:

Let's do lots of it.

Let's drill deep, and suck out lots of material from various layers of the crust.

But excuse me while I move away from volcanically active coastal regions.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

Fun, I browsed the FAQ. Helpful but out of date, a bible for an earlier era. I think I can hear the software creak.

[ November 02, 2008, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: DaveS ]

T:man
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dying slowly.....

Of old age!

Posts: 36 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

We're all dying, T. You slowest of all. [Smile]

KE

OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you guys see John McCain on SNL with Tina Fey?

I love him again.

McCain Fine Gold. *snerk*

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

John McCain might be the funniest politician ever.

"Double maverick!"

Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really didn't think it was that great (the shots either way).

"Sad Granpa" and "Double Maverick" were both worth a slight chuckle. McCain wouldn't be getting spanked so bad Tuesday if he'd shown a little more of that kind of self-effacing humor over the last couple of months.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved "Sad Grandpa"
Posts: 36 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Stacy even said it made her like him more.

KE

OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

It's not that it was that funny. I mean, I laughed, but it was not Pee-Your-Pants Funny.

It is more that he was just showing that he hasn't lost the grace to laugh at himself, with the rest of us, about the things about him that are funny.
When Sarah Palin was on, I just felt uncomfortable - she obviously didn't get the joke, and it was like everyone was laughing at her while she pretended to also think it was funny so she wouldn't have to lose face in public.
When Obama was on the Daily Show, he only had small moments of humor about himself underneath the gravitas; he gets the joke, I think, but doesn't feel like it's appropriate to play along.

John McCain gets the joke, and makes the joke, and is the joke, and it's great. People who can make fun of themselves without looking pathetic are pretty rare.

(I'm still not voting for him. But I do like him again now.)

Jesse
Member # 1860

Eh, he's got some appologizing to do.

I expect it will come sometime in Feburary, and almost certainly on Meet the Press.

DaveS
unregistered

Yeah, but isn't a little weird that somebody who wants to be President will go on a comedy show and let himself be the butt of every joke? SNL is viciously and deliciously funny, but I felt like McCain let himself be stuffed into a bass-o-matic.

Obama has both the wit and the gravitas to go toe to toe with Jon Stewart and the brains not to get laughs at his own expense on SNL.

Does anyone think McCain will get a single extra vote for doing SNL?

Jesse
Member # 1860

No, but I bet it bumped his favorables two points. A couple dozen people may not bother to vote *against* him.
Kat_Freeman
Member # 6081

- posted      Profile for Kat_Freeman   Email Kat_Freeman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everybody - just want to wish you all luck at the polls tomorrow. May your lines be short and your turnout plentiful. [Wink]
Posts: 64 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DaveS-

I looked at the SNL.... and I really think McCain damaged himself. Not that he wasn't funny, or that it was "bad" in any way, but because he let himself be seen as the good sport loser, exactly the wrong image to project at this point in time from his point of view.

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

quote:
May your lines be short and your turnout plentiful.
So long as the turnout is plentiful during times when I am not in line. [Wink]
DaveS
unregistered

I voted absentee this year. No line to pick up the form, I took it home and read up on the web on all the candidates and ballot initiatives I didn't know well, filled out the paper ballot in pen, which means there will be a permanent record of exactly what I marked and meant to mark, and dropped it off back where I got it, no line.

I did it so that one snaking line would have one fewer person in it waiting for hours and everyone who would have been behind me will be done 5 minutes sooner than if I had been there.

That's still not good enough. If everybody's ballot was mailed to them 30 days in advance with a postage free envelope, I could have even saved the little gas and time it took me to go there and back again. We make it so hard.

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an increased chance of voter fraud with absentee ballots? How is that "prevented"?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

I don't think so. I had to show a picture id to get my ballot and they attached a printed label with my name to it. At most, only one person purporting to be me can cast a vote. As to whether I filled it out or not, they can't know that, but I don't think the chance for fraud is any greater than voting by any other means.

IMO, the concern about fraudulent voting is overblown. In Ohio in 2004, I think there were something like 200,000 supposedly suspicious or challenged ballots (almost all challenges made by Republicans), but in the end only 7 votes were deemed fraudulent.

Voter suppression is a vastly greater and very real problem. Many people are warned by phone (also almost exclusively by Republicans) that if they have outstanding parking tickets they will be arrested at the polling place, or they won't be allowed to vote at all. In 2004 in CA and this year in FL, people who filled out voter registration forms and indicated they were Democrats had their registration forms dumped in the garbage or along the highway. I wonder which party did that?

Jesse
Member # 1860

I learned years ago - never hand your registration card to anyone. Mail it in yourself. Stamps are cheap.
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So DaveS, are you suggesting it's only Republicans who challenge votes as being fraudulent, and only Republicans who commit voter suppression?

Jeez, I'll generally admit to being pretty naive, but even I'm not THAT naive. [Razz]

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

No, and I welcome people to report cases from either side. I did an extensive bit of reading on the 2004 problems, and the vast preponderance were aimed from the right, mainly at vote suppression of minorities. The only alleged malfeasance I've heard of on the part of Dem backers in this election are claims against ACORN for vote fraud, but those have not stood up.
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question for whoever has a minute. Have you heard of a community emergency preparedness scheme that involves putting flags in your yard to signal whether you're OK or not?

Twice now, a woman has dropped by my house asking if we have 15 minutes to talk about something like this. Both times we haven't had 15 minutes. She said she would come back later and we said OK.

But I was getting a weird vibe, because when I asked if she had a flyer or something she could just leave with us, she said no. I think to myself, what kind of community emergency planning would be completely without informational materials? She also spoke very awkwardly, saying "the church and the community" were working on this. In this area, "the church" is common shorthand for "the LDS church" but still, it seemed odd that she lumped in the church and "the community" that way.

She indicated that she would like to gather our names and how many people live in the house, so combined with the odd lack of printed information, her awkward turns of phrase, etc., I'm half of a mind to suspect some kind of sales pitch or another ulterior motive.

So anyway I was wondering if the flag system rings a bell with anyone. If it's something that people are familiar with then maybe I'll let her come inside next time instead of immediately moving to hostile questions such as "who do you work for, and why do you want our information?"

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

Doesn't sound legit to me at all sci-fi.

She ought to have some kind of ID card or something if it's for real.

scifibum
Member # 945

Well, the thing is it wouldn't surprise me if it's some legit - meaning sincere - thing, but done really badly by people who just had a bright idea for a Relief Society service project. I don't, however, particularly see how such a thing is ever going to come in handy. I mean, if the house is standing, we're OK. Otherwise, we're not. If we're being overrun by Cossacks, whatever we planned for is most likely moot, you know?

So I don't want to be ruder than is warranted when (most likely) sending her on her way next time.

Mariner
Member # 1618

- posted      Profile for Mariner   Email Mariner       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. CNN's website for election results isn't listing 3rd party candidates. How will I survive the night without knowing if Nader got 0.4% or 0.5%???

OK, all kidding aside. I do like seeing how the various 3rd parties do. I admit it definitely streamlines their pages, but still... Even MN's senate race, in which a 3rd party guy is pulling a Perot, doesn't have him listed. Maybe it'll get changed in the evening, but who knows?

Also, as a random aside, Arkansas sucks. 4 Congressional seats, and all are running unopposed? Geez people, nominate some candidates already! It's races like these that are why the government's so bad. Let's see some competition!

Posts: 538 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
scifi --

upside down US flag can be used as a distress signal...maybe that's what the woman was trying to get at...

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scifi, I know of multiple LDS wards that have passed out laminated sheets of paper of different colors. The idea is that in the event of an emergency you could post them on your front door or something to let people know how you are doing. Green = ok, red = send help. Something like that. (One ward even had a color for 'no one home'. Don't ask me how that one gets posted) Maybe this sort of thing is what your visitor is talking about?
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  194  195  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page