Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I'm a lot older than I sound, I guess (just ask my granddaughter)! Count Basie and Benny Goodman work for me. Never heard of Bix, though.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Beatles. Have you listened to Norwegian Wood, Friends and Lovers, Yesterday? Some of their early stuff can sound kind of bubble-gummey but Sgt Pepper and The White Album are some of the best music ever written. I don't think you are a communist, but I feel sorry that you are missing out on so much great music. Of course I'm sure people feel the samd for me with U2 and Rush. Oh, my mom doesn't like the Beatles either, and they were her era.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Don't you hate it when the last post on the top five threads is yours? Come on people post! I can't argue with myself! Okay, I'm going to play poker, but I'll be back! I expect to see some posts by then.

KE

[ February 18, 2005, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I do hate it! There are a couple Beatles songs I can listen to, but generally, I just change the station. I like the lyrics, usually, a lot more than the tunes themselves.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

On an interesting side note, Kurt Vonnegut's grandson teaches English at my old high school. He feud's pretty regularly with his grandfather, to the point they don't speak anymore, and also doesn't "get" Vonnegut's writing. In fact, he's been known to call it, in class "rubbish."
KnightEnder
unregistered

The "Stargate" episode tonight was great. It reminded me of some of the more cleverly done X-files were they kinda spoofed themselves.

"SG Atlantis" was okay. The female lead is hot.

Isn't it funny how some beautiful women are not sexy, yet some not traditionaly beautiful women can be very sexy?
And doesn't Major Sheperd remind you of the plumber on Desperate Houswives? They have to be related, or at the very least raised in the same state.

And "Battle Star Galactica" was good but nothing to write home about.

Bill O'reily said that the ACLU wants a secular progressive nation. The horror.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Did y'all hear about Montana wanting to require death certificates for aborted fetus?

KE

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did y'all hear about Montana wanting to require death certificates for aborted fetus?

They're just paving the way to make sure there's no sheep DNA...
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Never heard of Bix, though.
Died young. Most of his stuff is from the 20s. Played bright clear relaxed cornet. Sort of the great god father of cool jazz, in a sense. Whereas Louis epitomized le jazz HOT, Bix (who could swing uncannily well) focused on melody, elegance in syncopation, and 'modern' harmony.

Lester Young cites Bix and Frankie Trumbauer (a Bix alumni) as his two chief influences. Had Bix not drank himself into an early grave, Charlie Parker would probably've had to settle for playing, not inventing, bebop.

I thought you were young because I forgot to separate other threads from yours. When the topic is so casual, I tend to let it all flow together (perhaps as relaxation from my self-appointed role as Inspector Rhetoric).

From a NICELY writ article:

Bix

It isn't only that Bix's solo incorporates harmonies new to jazz (which he probably learned from his devotion to Debussy); and it isn't only that Bix's solo is the first fully realized improvisation on the chords rather than the melody of a tune -- creating something utterly new out of its subject matter (Louis Armstrong would inevitably have come up with that on his own, and soon); it's also that this is the first instance of what came to be known as "cool." Bix explores a turf where Armstrong hadn't been and would never go. Armstrong expresses ... well, everything -- his music cascades from his soul into yours. Geniuses like Charlie Parker and John Coltrane would do the same. Beiderbecke's strategy is fundamentally different, even opposite: With the purest of tones he is talking to himself and letting you listen -- the method that Lester Young, Miles Davis, and their followers would favor. In fact, this is one of the few recordings that Lester Young cited as an influence. (Young was the prime influence on Charlie Parker and on what came to be known as "modern" jazz.) As the critic and jazz musician Benny Green would write in 1962, Bix's passage on "Singin' the Blues" is "the most plagiarized and frankly imitated solo in all jazz history.".

When Lester Young seems to... float amid a foot-tapping riff-groove (like "Dickie's Dream"), you're hearing him channel Bix.

I get teary-eyed when I think of guys like Bix and Lester... or Hendrix or Danny Kirwan(who, come to think of it, sounded on electric guitar very much like Bix)...

[ February 19, 2005, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Word of the weekend (originally posted on another thread, but deemed appropriate for MC):

excrementitious.

A very prissy way of saying '****ty'. A word that should have been used in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

KnightEnder
unregistered

OM,

My oldest boy loves Corvettes, so if you take any pictures please mail us a copy. Thanks, hope y'all have a good time.

As for the Beatles/music thing, sometimes context has something to do with it. Isn't it amazing how hearing a song can take you back to an exact moment in time? Like I said, my mom dislike the Beatles (big Neil Diamond fan), so I didn't grow up listening to them, and my first in depth exposure to them was when I met my best friend/brother. He loved them and had a tape he'd made of some of his favorites and we would listen to it back and forth from Houston to Austin every weekend. Great memories. (He's the one that died in Can Cun a few years ago, really messed me up, especially coming on the heels of my youngest getting his head crushed in church and being life-flighted to Herman Hospital and almost dying.) [Frown] Thought I was tough before all that.

Just think of the money I'm saving on therapy bills by being a member of OA. [Wink] If I share too much I apologize. But I appreciate y'all listening and being a part of my life. [Smile]

KE

[ February 19, 2005, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

CardassianScot
Member # 787

- posted      Profile for CardassianScot   Email CardassianScot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To reply to KE from yesterday, Stargate (Citizen Joe) was OK, Atlantis (Before I Sleep) was good but I agree that it wasn't one of Battlestar Galatica's best (Six Degrees of Seperation), although living in the UK I have to cast my mind back as I saw that episode of BG before Christmas. BTW I hope I got the episodes right, we have different air dates in the UK, we got all of BG before the US and the last few episodes of SG1 and Atlantis before you. It's not often we in the UK get to say that, so I'm taking advantage of it while I can. Although it looks like we'll be doing it again with the new series of Dr Who.
Posts: 443 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to procrastinate and I'm running out of ways to do it...

whatever happened to your thread idea for seeing pictures of people, KE? being shocked at what people look like would be excellent procrastination material.

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

SB,

I'll look. But you could waste time guessing what they look like, and then we could ask them how close we were.

KE

simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not as fun, KE, not as fun.
Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, that reminds me, now that my brother is home, I can use his digital camera.

Gonna have to wait a few days to get Tezcatlipoca's pic up though... he's still out of town.
-=-=-=-=-

totally unrelated topic:

Check out this video made largely with personal video cameras and digital cameras by Marines in the battle for Fallujah (including one nice sweeping shot of a captured weapons cache).

It's set with some nice editing skills to three techno tracks, (I think) Crystal Method's "Trip Like I Do," Fatboy Slim's rendition of Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride," and Crystal Method's "Name of the Game" (some swearing).

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Politius
Member # 1756

- posted      Profile for Politius   Email Politius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking about videos, did anyone hear about that new Digital camera from Sony that shoots HDTV? At $3300 it's not cheap and it doesn't even do night shot or stills but the next highest HDV camera is $44,000!!!

By the way, my taekwondo school's website is up www.allensdcs.com. It's not a bad website designed by my freind/fellow instructor. I just need to help my freind brag about it so check it out!

By the way, has anyone tried Metal Gear Solid III: Snakeater? What a truly stunning game, not only for the gameplay but for the intense storyline, perfectly crafted into the cold war AND the Metal Gear plot! Truly amazing!!!

[ February 21, 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Politius ]

Posts: 168 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

KL - Thanks for the tips on Bix. I will def look for a CD.

I'd rather be thought young than old, I think, so no offense taken at all!

cperry
Member # 1938

Ev - Does he give any reason for calling Vonnegut's work rubbish?
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

[QUOTE}tips on Bix. I will def look for a CD.[/QUOTE]

He's worth it. If good vintage Clapton has a certain aura, likewise Hendrix, if primo Supremes and early Stevie Wonder exuded a certain... lustre... you'll find that when Bix starts a solo everything becomes altered. The air seems to fill with translucent liquid brass. To be a human being, to do these weird things, just because.. THAT'S what I'm tawkin' bowt!

Everard
unregistered

I can't remember them, cperry... everything I heard was hearsay, since he wasn't required to teach his grandfather... and so didn't. And I never had him as a teacher. My guess is he's got fairly extensive reasons [Smile] From everything I gather, Vonnegut the younger is pretty good critic.
cperry
Member # 1938

Egad, KL. You're making me want to go out RIGHT NOW and find a CD!

Ev, just wondered if it was bitterness or an authentic critique. I do know a lot of people don't get Vonnegut. Most of my students just LOVED him (okay, most of my male students!).

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

quote:
On an interesting side note, Kurt Vonnegut's grandson teaches English at my old high school. He feud's pretty regularly with his grandfather, to the point they don't speak anymore, and also doesn't "get" Vonnegut's writing. In fact, he's been known to call it, in class "rubbish."
I think Vonnegut is somewhat time-context sensitive. Slaughter-House Five would feel, I aimagine, much different if read today.

And much of his later stuff was definitely a product for its times. Vonnegut's 'gonzo novelism' must seem pretty archaic when compared to today's young authors.

My fave is an ancient short story he wrote about a gizmo that, when turned on, irradiated everyone within its range with raw bliss. Deadly device. Folks so irradiated just sat and grooved while their bodies starved to death. It was written with slightly grotesque humor, not scholck horror tones.

If Vonnegut were my grandfather, his old senile babblings would probably sound to me like his books. I can see me calling them rubbish in those circumstances.

KidA
unregistered

I think Vonnegut's best novel is the one he wrote as "Kilgore Trout" - it's called Venus on the Half-Shell. It's basically like a very dark Buck Rogers adventure. Very, very dark. And funny.

[ February 22, 2005, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: KidA ]

cperry
Member # 1938

He wrote some powerful short stories, too. Or am I thinking of Harlan Ellison? Must go look now...darn.
simplybiological
Member # 1344

cperry...
yeah, he wrote short stories. i read "harrison bergeron" in 6th grade and it blew my mind.

cperry
Member # 1938

Thanks, Simply. That's the one I was thinking of (Harrison = Harlan?).
simplybiological
Member # 1344

everytime i see an ipod commercial, i really want to see someone go as an ipod ad for halloween. i would do it, but i've already got plans in the works.

some do this, take pictures, and satisfy me.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Is the Mod back yet? Did he take any pictures of the vettes? What was the Vonnegut story about water? Or a substance that caused all the water on earth to freeze? And yet another good author for kids is Walter Farley of the Black Stallion stories. I had all the credits I needed in the 8th grade so I had three periods of library. It was heaven.

KE

[ February 23, 2005, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What was the Vonnegut story about water? Or a substance that caused all the water on earth to freeze?
"Cat's Cradle," I think. Ice-9?
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks AA.

And welcome to OA, Loki.

KE

Politius
Member # 1756

- posted      Profile for Politius   Email Politius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the best out of ALL has to be Sirens of Titan. That was a book that blew me away. It was so sad, yet at the same time, so funny, (ahem much like all of Vonnegut's books).
Posts: 168 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
quote:
And "Battle Star Galactica" was good but nothing to write home about.
Is it me, or are the Cylons starting to appear more Olympian than mechanical?

First off, we now know they "have a plan." Then we get to see Number Sex, Sharon and Doral observing Helo from the rooftops in a fashion that evokes Zeus from Olympus. And then, in this last episode, Number Sex leaves "Baltar's head" for a while, becomes incarnate, and then returns to his head.

And, of course, Baltar's very plight evokes the old saying "Whom the Gods would destroy they first make mad."

Are these really machines hell bent on punishing their former masters? Or the Olympian gods playing their games with humanity.

Just wondering aloud. [Smile]

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to read a semi-short novel of my choosing for school, and someone suggested Vonnegut. Which one should I go with?

[ February 24, 2005, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read two of his books, "Galapagos" and "Slaughterhouse-Five". Both were good, though I think I enjoyed "Galapagos" better. That may be because the Science Fiction book club I was in at the time discussed it. I really should read some of his other books, but I could definately recommend either of these two without reservation.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WP: all Vonnegut is a fast read. I second Politus: He doesn't get better than Sirens of Titan.
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Thanks much! Zyne, Politus, you've been of immense help.
simplybiological
Member # 1344

WP, my favorite is Slapstick. In it, the Chinese have figured out how to make themselves tiny (the size of a fingernail or so) to save resources. They also adjust the gravity. It's my favorite.
simplybiological
Member # 1344

Also, for the record, the sandwiches at 7-11 ARE actually kinda good. They've had this big ad campaign going about, "hey, we're 7-11, we know, but our sandwiches are pretty darn tasty."

i've had two now, a breakfast one and a lunch one, and i have to say- they ARE pretty good.

cperry
Member # 1938

Hear, hear, Simplybio. My favorite is the turkey with the spicy mayo. No one at work can figure out why I pick up a 7-11 sandwich, but they're better than a burger any day.
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page