Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 41)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi KE,

I've heard mixed reviews of What the Bleep. Why did you like it?

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It makes you think. And I love anything that makes quantum physics or life more understandable.

I mean, it's a documentary at heart, even if it has a story line and some great animation, effects, and even a couple of great musical numbers. So, if you don't like documentaries, or aren't interested in the subject, I could see not liking it. Other than that, I guess it doesn't really give religious organizations much credit or consideration. And there are a few "people" that say a couple of negative things about religion. Though it is not a show "about" religion or religion bashing. But there are a few negative comments. Not against specific religions (I don't think) but the difference between religion and God.

Also, on a related note, in the movie with Omar Sharif, at the end when he is SPOILER:

dying, he says to the young boy; "I'm not dying, I'm going to be with the great immensity." I can dig that. Maybe I'm a Sufi Muslim?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the negative comments I heard were more about the "attitude" of the folks in it than the content. Kind of an intellectual snobbery, maybe? I could be mistaken; it's been awhile. But you make me want to rent it!
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KE, seen "Amores Perros"? Ultra cool Mexican movie set in Mexico City. Title translates to something like "Love's a bitch" or so I'm told.

I highly reccomend. The guy who made it went on to do "21 Grams," which I haven't seen. It was even enjoyable while I sat on the floor and every few minutes pushed the cat away to keep him from jumping in the fireplace, which was in use. He puts out candles with his paws, if you give him the chance. He fears not the singed fur.

As for "What the Bleep?," the Onion Av club, pretty much a critical lodestar in my mind, called it something like New Age crap, so I'm not feeling interested. Plus, I'm like the least spiritual person ever.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidzmom
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for kidzmom   Email kidzmom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I was in the kitchen (cleaning up after supper), and I heard Lora(5y.o.) singing in the living room--
"Home, home on the range,
Where the deer and the envelope play"...
[Big Grin]

Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Drake:
My bare lady?

Naw.

Hooker on Phonics

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by kidzmom:
So I was in the kitchen (cleaning up after supper), and I heard Lora(5y.o.) singing in the living room--
"Home, home on the range,
Where the deer and the envelope play"...
[Big Grin]

Well, if it fits her worldview! [Smile]
KnightEnder
unregistered

Did y'all see where those two Jaguar football cheerleaders got thrown in jail for having sex with each other in a night club bathroom? What's this world coming to? [Frown]

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

My hubby thinks they may have done it for all the $ they're now going to get -- from Playboy, Penthouse, whatever ops that come along for the notorioty (misspelling not intended but kind of apt).
KnightEnder
unregistered

Did y'all here in Bush's latest speech (that wasn't too bad) he quoted an Iman concerning the terrorist attacks (I think on London) and said that "anyone that killed people like that were not Muslims and not religious people."

Is it just me or is that outrageous? So "not religious people" equates to murderers? It's that kind of subtle crap that pisses me off. Especially when the people that do these terrible thing most certainly believe in a God and consider themselves "religious people". Even going so far as to us religion to justify their actions.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

cperry, they didn't look very happy in the police photos. [Frown] Maybe they didn't think it out very clearly. Also, I think the main reason the got busted was because they were tying up a ladies stall. And you know how the line to the ladies bathroom gets. [Mad]

Here in Houston one year a couple of women were arrested because the womans line was so long at the Astrodome (and they had to go; they'd been drinking alot of Dome Beers and really had to go!) that their boyfriends snuck them into the Men's bathroom stall. Ridiculous that they got busted [Frown] , but what they heck takes y'all so long? Or do I want to know? [Confused]

KE

[ November 11, 2005, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Our new puppy is awesome. He is so cute, (my youngest son named him "Spike" after the character on "Buffy". I wish our older dog was named "Angel") and the older dog is finally starting to play with him. And our free dog that we saved from the pound has only cost us $600 dollars in shots and Kennel Coff and other problems. (for him and the older dog (Max))

Thank God I have a job. I don't know how we survived when I didn't. And for those wondering the job is going great and I really like the people and product (spectroscopy). Thanks for all the prayers and positive karma sent my way.

cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
but what they heck takes y'all so long? Or do I want to know? [Confused]

KE

Walk in. Check things out in the mirror. Go into stall. Look for hook to hang coat, bag. Find there's none. Try to balance purse on toilet paper dispenser. Notice there's no paper. Leave stall. Go into another stall. Put coat over left arm. Balance purse on toilet paper dispenser. Check out the toilet seat. Tear off toilet paper and place it on seat. Turn around. Unbuckle. Unzip. Lower clothes carefully so as not to get skirt or pants on dirty floor and, if wearing hose, so as not to rip nylons. Lower self carefully so as not to get body parts on dirty seat. Wait. Pee. Wait. Get paper. Wipe. Stand carefully so as not to get toilet paper stuck to clothing. Redress. Turn around. Push toilet paper into toilet with shoe. Flush with shoe, balance carefully so as not to slip and crash foot into toilet bowl. Check zipper, etc. Grab purse. Open door. Go to sink to wash hands. Find soap dispenser that actually has soap. Lather. Sing Happy Birthday to make sure all germs are killed. Rinse. Grab paper towels. Dry off hands. Dry off area around sink. Rummage in purse for lipstick. Put on lipliner, lipstick, gloss. Notice hairstyle is awry. Comb and spray hair. Notice pimple forming on side of nose. Find powder and apply to unsightly red blemish. Back up from mirror. Check whole picture, front and back. Purse lips, smile, head back out to the world.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Your singing must be pretty bad if it kills germs! [Razz]

And wouldn't haven't hot bisexual sex take less time than all that? Maybe the woman that narced on them was just jealous? [Confused]

Oh, and once again I thank the powers that be that I am a male. Does God have it in for women?

KE

[ November 11, 2005, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it just me or is that outrageous? So "not religious people" equates to murderers?
Nope. He's not saying that "not religious people" are a subset of murderers; he's saying that murderers are a subset of "not religious people" (and obviously a very small one at that). One can't truly believe in a religion that commands "Thou Shalt Not Murder" and support murder.
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

No, he's saying that "murders" are a subset of "non-religious people"! How can he come to the conclusion that people that commit murders are not religious people? Many religions advocate murder.

KE

[ November 12, 2005, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did y'all here in Bush's latest speech (that wasn't too bad) he quoted an Iman concerning the terrorist attacks (I think on London) and said that "anyone that killed people like that were not Muslims and not religious people."

Is it just me or is that outrageous? So "not religious people" equates to murderers? It's that kind of subtle crap that pisses me off. Especially when the people that do these terrible thing most certainly believe in a God and consider themselves "religious people". Even going so far as to us religion to justify their actions.

So you think that the President should take these tragedies as teaching moments to preach atheism rather than trying to discredit the terrorists?

What he's saying, KE, is that we reject their religious justifications for murder. As religious people, we reject the terrorists' claims to be acting in the name of God.

Bush didn't call the terrorists "atheists;" I can't believe you're seriously getting the idea that he's "equating" terrorism to nonreligion. He's simply saying that it's not the religious act that they pretend it to be.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Ahhh, okay, I can live with that. Thanks Pete.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Time travel.

Can you imagine all the people that would be getting in the way of historical events if this were practical and allowed.

Cowboys in Lincoln County would be like, where'd all those people come from, and how come they talk funny? (Of course Billy the Kid would probably be to stupid to care.)

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Not to mention how many great myths would be debunked.

KE

javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of being able to VIEW history, without being able to effect it. There are several good books on the subject, the titles of which all escape me - maybe had the words "Past Watch" in the title? [Wink]

[ November 15, 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf

(Sound on!)

[ November 15, 2005, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Zyne ]

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zyne:
http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf

(Sound on!)

SO CUTE
Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

My hubby's allergic to cats. This is where I can get my cat fix.
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there some rule that says women care most about themselves when they have new potential love interests? I have worked out more in the last two weeks than I have in a year ...
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Oh Zyne, this sounds interesting...and I know exactly what you are talking about (the working out part)!
Zyne
Member # 117

I. Am. So. Sore.

But this is good for me objectively--I need to be more active and fit--and fun!

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's time to pack up the lappy for Thanksgiving.

See you all on Monday!

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Speaking of working out, does anyone here know anything about it? I've been hitting it pretty hard for the past 6 months and I've gotten my bis from 15 1/4" to 16" but they seemed to have reached a plateau. I was stuck at 15 1/2 then I started doing reverse benches (tris) and I got another 1/2 inch, but now I'm stuck again. Aside from juice is there anything I can do or does your body just naturally reach a maximum size?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!

KE

[ November 22, 2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KE, I'm definitely not huge, but I have found that working out with very light weights doing very slow reps really increases size for me. Take a 10-15lb weight and do an arm curl that takes about 25 seconds to extend then 25 seconds to contract (flex) and you will start to break down tissue that may have been missed before. In addition you will likely be able to go longer and tire the muscles more than you had been, as well as avoid undue stress on your joints. You can warm up with heavier weights at normal speed to wear your muscles down a bit if you want to save some time. I basically stop when I am shaking so bad I can barely hold on. Good luck!
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"I. Am. So. Sore.

But this is good for me objectively--I need to be more active and fit--and fun!"

I think that's great that you are working out regularily. I think the key is making it a routine and it just becomes easier the longer you have it. You'll probably even get to the point where you go stir-crazy if you don't work out for a period of time.

I know that I am in the best shape than I've ever been. I have always jogged 3-5 miles a few times a week on a regular basis, but now, I've also been English/Hunt seat horse back riding for some time. I thought it would be easy to get back into riding, but it hasn't. The first week I was so sore I could hardly walk, even though I thought I was in good shape. I went over my first jump last Friday and that was just so cool! Riding has really improved my overall strength and sense of balance. Eventually, I am going to upgrade my horse to one of my instructor's Hanoverians, so I am really looking forward to that too. In short, it's always a plus when staying in shape is fun as well.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks Kent. I will definitely give it a try.

And FIJC, we had horses growing up and they were a blast. A lot of work to take care of, but well worth it if you have the time. Be careful.

Zyne, funny, guys probably work out more when they are trying to get a woman. Sounds like women work out more once they've found one. (I just work out because it is good for me, and I'm vain. Stacy could care less what I looked like. [Frown] . Or is that a good thing?)

Since I got that new job after been out of work so long I've been buying Stacy and the boys things left and right, I'm afraid Christmas is going to be a let down. Unless, maybe I can buy them something heartfelt with meaning. The boys are easy, any suggestions for a wife of 17 years. (Seems like I should know, huh?) But any help would be appreciated.

KE

[ November 24, 2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"And FIJC, we had horses growing up and they were a blast. A lot of work to take care of, but well worth it if you have the time. Be careful."
I agree that horses are a lot of work to take care of, but it's worth it. My instructor owns about 25, and I have been helping take care of them the weekends. One thing about DC that I really miss, is being around animals and other simple thngs, such as trees and a yard. [Smile] I don't plan on living in the city for much longer. Probably in the next year, I am going to find a less stressful government job and move further out into the suburbs, so that I can ride several times a week and start competing. I just don't like DC anymore, but I still do like Virginia.

quote:
"Since I got that new job after been out of work so long I've been buying Stacy and the boys things left and right, I'm afraid Christmas is going to be a let down. Unless, maybe I can buy them something heartfelt with meaning. The boys are easy, any suggestions for a wife of 17 years. (Seems like I should know, huh?) But any help would be appreciated."
Try getting something that fits in with her hobbies. What does she like to do? That being said, guys can never go wrong buying anything cashmere or a classic piece of jewelry, such as pearls.
Zyne
Member # 117

quote:
any suggestions for a wife of 17 years.
Have you considered asking her what she wants? Do that, and report back what she says!

I bet she cares what you look like, she just doesn't care what you look like. Make sense? [Razz]

FIJC, I rode regularly as a kid, but very infrequently since college. It's too difficult to schedule, or too expensive, etc. I went out a few months ago for a three hour endurance ride at a race-y pace, and I could barely walk for days!

I have two days left on my free 10 day trial from 24 hour fitness. (It's really free, but I had to sit through like an hour sales thing to get the 10-day pass.) My objective has been to gain a lot of muscle fast. So I'm doing about an hour of weights every day. I've tripled what my legs can do and doubled what my arms can do. So far so good, but my muscles are really looking forward to next week when I'm gone all week and can't work out [Smile]

Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I looked after my sixteen month old grandson while my daughter and wife went shopping. I didn’t know a minute contained so many seconds. He can’t say any recognisable words, walks like he is going to crash into the furniture and puts everything he can carry into his mouth. But as I watched him, from my collapsed prone position on the couch, I saw him switch on and then insert a DVD into the player, switch on the TV and watch the programme. It happened to be a free DVD from a tile supplier so it was kind of educational. I just wonder if kids of his age tech ability starts from here where will it end up. Of course if we go into a downward spin he could end up worshiping the remote control, mystically waving it at some long dead TV set.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

She wants Season 2 "Once and Again". I'd like to get her something a little more romantic. I'll take your advice FIJC, thanks. And, Zyne, I don't get the "she cares what you look like thing"? Do you mean that if I got fat and bald and quit working out, she wouldn't be as happy with how I look as she is now?

KE

Zyne
Member # 117

She might not be as happy as she is with how you look, but she'll be proud of you and love you and get that tingle all the same. I think it's a girl thing that we see our men in all their layers, all at once. I think that we're vertical, we can see all the things at once, like a multi-dimensioned picture. So the times you looked the best, and the times you looked the worst, and everything else that IS your marriage, they are all there for her when she looks at you now.

/surrealism post

I think you ought to consider starting with season 2 of "Once and Again" and adding on to that. I tend to tell what I actually, really really, want. And being listened to is its own reward.

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I can cut in to make a short announcement.

(ahem)

I just found out tonight that I have been accepted to George Washington University (in Washington, DC) for the spring semester.

That is all.

[Smile] [Cool] [Smile] [Cool] [Smile]

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

*cheers!*
Digger
Member # 2341

- posted      Profile for Digger   Email Digger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, WP!

[Smile]

Posts: 1317 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page