Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 46)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too smart, Drake.

I couldn't figure out why my audio wasn't working, and my primary issue was this:

When you have a hardware MPEG capture card, you must plug the audio into THAT input, and not the one on the sound card.

And now for my next adapter... the 1/8" stereo line in (male) to RCA L/R Stereo (female), but the stores are all closed.

*sigh*

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must have been a long day when you're talking to yourself online. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked, NobleHunter. [Smile] And I want hardware specs and an instruction manual, if Drake feels like he has the time and interest. I'd love to step on his shoulders and repeat the easy part of the work [Smile]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What hardware capture card are you using, Drake? The Hauppauge 250 card, for example, doesn't require you to hook into the sound card.

Oh, and the DRM I was refering too? It's supposed to be part of the new capture cards.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Javelin, I just got done reading all your posts on the other side. I honestly don't know what to think about you throwing hours of your life away. Is the spirit of Pete possessing your body? I don't know why so many people don't get it, I'm just glad you're not an idiot too.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kent:
Javelin, I just got done reading all your posts on the other side. I honestly don't know what to think about you throwing hours of your life away. Is the spirit of Pete possessing your body? I don't know why so many people don't get it, I'm just glad you're not an idiot too.

Yeah, I gave up. I almost enjoyed myself, until I kept getting people repeating the other "single poster" responses over and over again, and I got tired of rehashing. Not to mention the couple of people who actually posted more than once, but didn't bother to engage me logically. However, there are a few people "over there" that I'd like to see join us more regularly - I just don't plan on bothering to find out again in the future.

It was a good reminder of why I appreciate this board so much.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I just spent an hour writing up all the specs for http://hometheaterspot.com, and the post timed out. And the back button gave me an empty form. I broke the rules, always select and copy before submitting a huge post to a message board.

I'll post a link here to that article when I'm done. I think I'll get everything working before I do that.

I'm using the Hauppauge 150 - which doesn't require me to hook into the sound card. In fact, I'm prevented from hooking into the sound card - which was my problem. You must use the audio input on the 150, so that it can encode the audio stream in the generated MPEG.

Soon I'll be networking in, and attempting to view captured MPEG offline.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where has Pete been anyway?
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by Kent:
Where has Pete been anyway?

Good question. I miss him (most of the time).
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by The Drake:
Heh. I just spent an hour writing up all the specs for http://hometheaterspot.com, and the post timed out. And the back button gave me an empty form. I broke the rules, always select and copy before submitting a huge post to a message board.

I'll post a link here to that article when I'm done. I think I'll get everything working before I do that.

I'm using the Hauppauge 150 - which doesn't require me to hook into the sound card. In fact, I'm prevented from hooking into the sound card - which was my problem. You must use the audio input on the 150, so that it can encode the audio stream in the generated MPEG.

Soon I'll be networking in, and attempting to view captured MPEG offline.

That totally sucks! That said, appreciate the sharing you've been able to get up here.
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am working 10,000 hours a week.

I'm exaggerating, but only by two zeroes and, some weeks, a wee bit of change.

I am truthfully working a lot, with many days when I come home, crash for a few hours, and go back to the office.

So, if you even cared in the first place, that's where I've been, and where I will be, for a while.

Oh, and I dyed my hair red. [Smile]

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't believe you without pics.
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

Those who were following my HTPC experience, the saga is nearly complete. I found a beta driver that supports my STB, and I can now record shows. All I have left is to install the handheld remote.

Top quality MPEG-2 (highest bitrate) has no problem recording. The only thing that doesn't work is 3D transparent guide overlay, where the guide is on top of an incoming show. This is really not a big deal to me.

I did almost buy a new TV while I was in Best Buy to get an $8 cable.

KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ev, I'm in Boston. What's all this white stuff all over the place?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok guys, i gotta give the warning. pe23 has broken into my e-mail, and started harrassing people that e-mailed me. since my ornery loggin info was in my e-mail, i need to watch out for her posting wierd crap in my name. sorry for the possible inconvienience. i'm changing my password now.

KE, its either snow or cocaine.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Wow, PrettyEyes likes the drama, doesn't she? What is it with the three of you?
kidzmom
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for kidzmom   Email kidzmom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good morning, and Happy Thursday, all!! Just thought I'd share something that may prove handy in the coming year--

"Helpful Household Hints With Vodka"

01. To remove a bandage painlessly, saturate the bandage with vodka. The solvent dissolves adhesive.
02. To clean the caulking around bathtubs and showers, fill a trigger-spray bottle with vodka, spray the caulking, let set five minutes and wash clean. The alcohol in the vodka kills mold and mildew.
03. To clean your eyeglasses, simply wipe the lenses with a soft, clean cloth dampened with vodka. The alcohol in the vodka cleans the glass and kills germs.
04. Prolong the life of razors by filling a cup with vodka and letting your safety razor blade soak in the alcohol after shaving. The vodka disinfects the blade and prevents rusting.
05. Spray vodka on vomit stains, scrub with a brush, and then blot dry.
06. Using a cotton ball, apply vodka to your face as an astringent to cleanse the skin and tighten pores.
07. Add a jigger of vodka to a 12-ounce bottle of shampoo. The alcohol cleanses the scalp, removes toxins from hair, and stimulates the growth of healthy hair.
08. Fill a sixteen-ounce trigger-spray bottle and spray bees or wasps to kill them.
09. Pour one-half cup vodka and one-half cup water in a Ziploc freezer bag and freeze for a slushy, refreshable ice pack for aches, pain or black eyes.
10. To relieve a fever, use a washcloth to rub vodka on your chest and back as a liniment.
11. To cure foot odor, wash your feet with vodka.
12. Vodka will disinfect and alleviate a jellyfish sting.
13. Pour vodka over an area affected with poison ivy to remove the urushiol oil from your skin.
14. Swish a shot of vodka over an aching tooth. Allow your gums to absorb some of the alcohol to numb the pain.

Or you could just drink it. Then you don't care that you are an unshaven, stained, dirty, smelly, beat-up person with dirty glasses, who is in the process of being attacked by killer bees and mutant jelly fish.
[Big Grin]
(P.S.--the hints are real [Wink] )

[ January 26, 2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: kidzmom ]

Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

That's hilarious! (and potentially useful!)
kidzmom
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for kidzmom   Email kidzmom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live to serve! *snicker*
Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those Russians were definitely on to something. However, I really hate the idea of wasting good vodka by squirting it on a wasp!
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I drank Whisky to celebrate Burns Night (I’ve been to Scotland for the hols) and tonight I shall be downing the ice cold golden tubes of amber nectar to celebrate Australia Day (My brother-in-law lives in Oz). Tomorrow I shall be drinking Vodka to thank the Russians for cheering us all up with their rock stories. Thanks for the suggestion.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

On the way home from Boston (where I got foodpoisioning, or something, (my company also had a gas leak,) I hurt all over, had chills, and had fluids coming out of everywhere ) and where I spent 6 hours on the floor of a private bathroom, my teeth (which had been knocked out when I was 9 playing baseball and have had trouble with ever sing) starting
KnightEnder
unregistered

On the way home from Boston (where I got foodpoisioning, or something, (my company also had a gas leak,) I hurt all over, had chills, and had fluids coming out of everywhere ) and where I spent 6 hours on the floor of a private bathroom, my teeth (which had been knocked out when I was 9 playing baseball and have had trouble with ever since) starting throbbing in in unbearable pain. Pain that made my food poisioning feel refreshing. I'd packed my medicine bag which had aspirin and ambesol in it in my suitcase.

Anyway during my stop over at Chicago I bought packs of Aleve, Excedrin, and Tylenol. Then I bough coffee thinking the heat might help. But, when that didn't help I went to the nearest bar and ordered two shots of Crown Royal and a Crown and Seven. The lady bartender said that is gonna be expensive, I told her I didn't care. Then she carded me! If I hadn't been in such pain I would have been complimented, I'm 38. So, while I was downing the drinks I told the bartender my problem and she was sweet enough to call around to the different stores in the airport until she found one that sold Ambesol and Orajel. I thanked her tipped her well, and went hunting for the store. None of the one's I'd bought the Tylenol at before had had any. By this time my teeth were still killing me, but I was so drunk I didn't care as much. And after using the Ambesol and Orajel I was much better. When I got hom I stripped down and got in a scalding shower. That helped and after some Vicodin and Soma's I wasn't feeling near as much pain.

Being sick sucks, but it is ten times worse when you are away from home. But the people at my work and the bartender lady really helped me out. Once again my faith in humanity has been rerestored. Even if my car and body are falling apart.

Oh, and the snow was beautiful, but I have a renewed my desire to live here in Texas where you don't have to deal with it.

It's good to be home.

KE

[ January 27, 2006, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

kidzmom
Member # 2015

Awww, KE I'm so sorry, that's rotten! [Frown]

Maybe the vodka would've helped? [Wink]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks Mom. Monday and I finally feel back among the living. Got doctors, dentists, and customer appointments for the rest of the week so I guess I won't /can't die.

KE

kidzmom
Member # 2015

quote:
Thanks Mom. Monday and I finally feel back among the living. Got doctors, dentists, and customer appointments for the rest of the week so I guess I won't /can't die
I hear ya. Sometimes, Responsible Adulthood sucks, huh? Glad you're feeling better--if not entirely well. Try not to overdo! (yeah, right....my ob/gyn told me that, when I was expecting #6...if course, the rat then snickered [Roll Eyes] )

I still contend the vodka could help [Razz] . (This, from your friendly nieghborhood Southern Baptist. Bwahahaha [Big Grin] )

KnightEnder
unregistered

Do Southern Baptists drink? I mean officially? I find Tequilla the easiest to shoot, but it makes me mean. So, I stuck with the Crown. How many kids do you have again, Mom?

Speaking of Mom's, I called mine from the bathroom floor in Boston only to find out she had gone to the ER and was hospittalized with a bowel obstruction.They thought they were going to have to do exploratory surgery. (Funny how no matter how old you are, when you get really sick you want your mom. [Embarrassed] ) However, Sunday her lower intestines unknotted themselves (without surgery, thank God) and she is home today. [Smile]

Oh, we're buying a house in a community that is based on a Tuscan, Italy "theme" (Stacy's idea) and they couldn't give us the plot we put money down on (just our luck) so they upgraded us to a waterfront property that is a $15,k upgrade for free. Maybe our luck/karma is changing? [Big Grin]

Y'all are all invited to the house warming party. OSC and Bean can fly y'all all in. [Wink]

KE

[ January 31, 2006, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

kidzmom
Member # 2015

quote:
Do Southern Baptists drink? I mean officially? [QUOTE/]
Well, we'd get pretty thirsty if we didn't--especially in Texas during the summer! [Wink]
quote:

I find Tequila the easiest to shoot, but it makes me mean.
In college, I found any tequila whatsoever gave me a blinding headache...
quote:
How many kids do you have again, Mom?
We have 6, (3b, 3g), but only 4 still at home-- Except on holidays...or when they want home-cooked food...or they want free baby-sitting... (yes, the oldest 2 are married, and each has a kidlet). The age range involved is 5y.o. - almost 23.

So sorry to hear about your mom, KE! I kwym on all counts--even at nearly 47, I still call my mom when I'm sick (and my grown kids call me!). And it's a terribly unwelcome shock to be presented with proof that Mom is just as fragile and vulnerable as everyone else. I'm SO glad they didn't have to operate!

Exciting news about the house! Is it already built, or are y'all starting from scratch? To insert a possibly unwelcome note of reality--have you considered to potential mosquito problem inherent w/ waterfront property in Houston? [Eek!] Is this one of the bedroom communities on the outskirts?

quote:
Y'all are all invited to the house warming party. OSC and Bean can fly y'all all in.
Hey, depending on which side of town it's on, I'm probably 2 hours away, max! And if it's the right time of year, I can provide cabrito for the grill! [Big Grin]
Quaestor
Member # 2553

- posted      Profile for Quaestor   Email Quaestor       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh...Caucus Room...too much...must go home...staff meeting at 9...briefings...ugh...awesome New York strip though...mmmm...I hope y'all sleep well tonight, forum folk...g'nite!
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Just got back from the dentist and he said I had to give up Cokes or give up the rest of my teeth. My last damn bad habit!

Edit to add: Unless you count this place? [Frown] [Smile]

KE

[ February 02, 2006, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try the diet version made with Splenda...it's crazy sweet and (I'm told) has more of that Cokey flavor that their other diet versions lack.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
hospittalized with a bowel obstruction.
Oh, KE, I'm so glad for you that it all worked itself out.
Two of my close family have had to have emergency surgery for bowel obstructions in the last year-and-a-half; it's a really terrifying thing.
Something about surgery in intestines - just can't keep that business clean.
(They're both just fine - and my grandfather, who is well over eighty, was back to doing his own yardwork within six months.)

Anyway, I hope your mom stays fine.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks for your best wishes, OPS, everybody. Unfortunatly, she has been going back and forth for tests since they let her out and she is practically starving since they won't let her eat. And when she does eat two hours later she is in excrutiating pain. I hope for the best but I'm afraid she might have to have surgery.

KE

OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Announcing...
("Peep! Peep! PEEPPEEPPEEP!!")
The entry into the world of the first five of my Ostragoth chicks, who hatched this morning.
With any luck, another twenty or so of their brothers and sisters will hatch out before tomorrow morning.
Hurrah! Babies!

I feel like a proud mother, which is ridiculous given that my contribution to the proceedings was
1)bring roosters to chickens
2)collect eggs
3)put eggs in incubator
4)watch them, turning occasionally, for three weeks.

But still, those babies are sweet!

KE, I am thinking Good Thoughts for your mum - and it might give you heart to know that though both of my family members who had bowel resections were of course in a lot of pain and it sucked a lot (and they were totally grouchy from not being allowed to eat anything good for a long time), the wonders of modern medicine are such that now they are both just fine.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Congrats, Ops!
kidzmom
Member # 2015

An elderly couple was enjoying an anniversary dinner together in a small tavern. The husband leaned over and asked his wife, "Do you remember the first time we had sex together, over fifty years ago? We went behind this tavern where you leaned against the fence and I made love to you.
"Yes," she said, "I remember it well."

"Ok," he said, "How about taking a stroll round there again and we can do it for old time's sake."

"Oooooooh Henry, you devil, that sounds like a good idea," she answered.

A police officer was sitting in the next booth listening to all this, and having a chuckle to himself. He thought, "I've got to see these two old-timers having sex against a fence. I'll just keep an eye on them so there's no trouble." So he followed them.

They shuffled haltingly along, leaning on each other for support, aided by walking sticks. Finally they got to the back of the tavern and made their way to the fence.

The old lady adjusted her skirts, and the old man dropped his trousers. As she grabbed onto the fence, the old man moved in.

Suddenly they erupted into the most furious sex that the watching policeman had ever seen. She's yelling, "Ohhh, God!" He's hanging on to her hips for dear life. This goes on for about forty minutes!

Finally, they both collapsed on the ground. The policeman was amazed. After about half an hour of recovering, the old couple struggled up and straightened out their clothing. The policeman, still watching thought, "That was incredible. I've got to ask him what his secret is."

As the couple passed, he stopped them, saying, "That was something else. How do you manage it? Is there some sort of secret?"

The old man replied, "Fifty years ago that wasn't an electric fence."
[Eek!] [Big Grin]

[ February 05, 2006, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: kidzmom ]

ssci
Member # 1053

- posted      Profile for ssci   Email ssci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pretty good joke, thanks for sharing.
Posts: 442 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im in such a bad mood right now that if I woke up and found out Iran and Israel had traded nukes and the result was no more Islam in the Middle East, Id still be in a bad mood.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in such a bad mood today at work that if Iran and Israel had traded nukes and missed each other and hit my boss I'd still be in a .... oh wait.
Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's an Ostragoth chick?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page