Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 50)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
kelcimer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,186120,00.html

BB&T Denies Loans to Businesses Benefiting from Eminent Domain

Very interesting and very commendable.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Congrats Lisa.

KE

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not like I did anything [Smile]

When I say "my" or "our" I'm not referring to a team I'm on, but a team that I support and that I know several members of. It's my school team.

Don't know if that came across different, but... eh.

I'm totally a pronoun communist. Everything is everyone's.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa M. said:
quote:
I'm totally a pronoun communist. Everything is everyone's.
rofl

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use these for my desktop background at work (passive aggression, anyone?) and today when I went looking for a new one, I discovered that they've come out with the perfect Ornery Demotivator.

Let's all get mugs.

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digger
Member # 2341

- posted      Profile for Digger   Email Digger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funean,

I've got a pile of demotivator cards left over from when I danced out of the halls of Corporate America. Free for the asking - I'll even spring for the postage.

I have:
Cluelessness
Dysfunction (2)
Ignorance
Indifference
Arrogance
Stupidity
Regret
Pretension (2)
Incompetence

Posts: 1317 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got the screensaver. I'm always looking for ways to make my coworkers happier.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oooh.

I really like Dysfunction and Pretension...

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, Digger! Dibs on "Ignorance" and "Regret."

<off to email address>

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeerilritorne
Member # 2804

- posted      Profile for kenmeerilritorne   Email kenmeerilritorne       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but can he write editorials?
Posts: 373 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeerilritorne
Member # 2804

- posted      Profile for kenmeerilritorne   Email kenmeerilritorne       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who dig swing
Posts: 373 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

quote:
"We really need to find him soon because the Smithsonian wants to put him in a travelling collection in the autumn," said Prilliman referring to Washington's Smithsonian Institute, an organisation of museums and art galleries.
No wonder he escaped.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

There is a show periodically on SciFi channel called "Dog Soldiers" about Werewolves tracking a British special forces team, and it is really well done. If you get a chance to check it out I recomend it.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Oh, And I thought Jon Stewart was great on The Oscars last night.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Any of our computer geeks know what is effecting my wireless connection? It has been hit and miss for the past three days and before that it was gold. I've had to go back to the prehistoric days of using a RoadRunner wire. I feel so confined.

KE

javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Any of our computer geeks know what is effecting my wireless connection? It has been hit and miss for the past three days and before that it was gold. I've had to go back to the prehistoric days of using a RoadRunner wire. I feel so confined.

KE

Any new electronics on the premises? Do you live in a house? How big of a lot?

Have you seen anyone hanging out near that van across the street, with sunglasses on, and a dark suit?

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"Any of our computer geeks know what is effecting my wireless connection? It has been hit and miss for the past three days and before that it was gold. I've had to go back to the prehistoric days of using a RoadRunner wire. I feel so confined.

KE"

I have Comcast and that happens to me all the time. What I did is unplug the router for a good minute and plug it back in--usually everything is fine after that. Don't ask me why that suddenly fixes everything, it works though.
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, And I thought Jon Stewart was great on The Oscars last night.
Even Jon Stewart couldn't make me watch the Oscars. And from the ratings, it looks like I have a lot of company.
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the Oscars for the first time in a few years.

I enjoyed it. Stewart was good.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The parts I saw, Stewart was good.

"And none of those things were ever a problem again." (after viewing a montage of supposedly socially important movies)

"And next we'll have Oscar's salute to montages."
(after a montage of epics)

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

FIJC, thanks.

Jav, always. But I’m paranoid.

But seriously, when I got my leg cut off at 18 they watched me around the clock. Dark tinted vans across from my house, they even had video of me playing basketball using a video camera out of a gym bag.

No doubt I cost myself a lot of money by not just lying in bed. But I wanted my leg back. Almost losing it really made me stop taking my speed for granted. I ran a 4.4 in college football tryouts and played 12 years of pro-softball after the accident even though the doctors said I’d walk with a limp for the rest of my life and never run again. Screw that.

Stacy likes it, says it makes my walk unique and sexy. I think it makes me walk like John Wayne. Guess I’m an optimist. It they want to tape me, have at it. I even asked for a tape of me playing basketball. I still have it somewhere. It wasn’t like I was doing anything wrong. I never could have worked, but I could hobble up and down a basketball court in a cast and or blesdoe boot until I got my leg back. Then I went back to work. Screw insurance companies. And screw people who think we shouldn’t be able to sue people that hurt us through their negligence. I’ve never once regretted working hard to get my leg back. All the money in the world couldn’t replace being able to play with my boys and impress them with homeruns.

I got enough to make sure the doctors were paid off. They worked a miracle. And I had a little left over for myself and my family. Although I’m pretty sure my lawyer was in cahoots with the people that hurt me. Live and learn. God forbid one of you get hurt, but get a lawyer you can trust if you do. And I don't mean one off tv. I was only 18 at the time, what’d I know?

NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH******

I was 18 and working that summer for money before going to college. I was carrying in rebar off a truck under a 40ft sliding garage door. Problem was, the door was too heavy for the motors and the chain had broke. So they used a fork lift to lift it up. Later they need the fork lift elsewhere so they propped a square frame on wheels under the door. (I was working and not paying much attention.) Anyway, while I was walking under it the frame slipped out and tipped over bringing the full force of the door down on me. All I hear was a swoosh. I ducked my head and it skinned my back twice. I'd stepped through with my right leg so it hit me right above the left ankle. Causing a compound fracture of the left tibula a fibula. I fell on my face and when I turned over on my back, my left foot was still pointing straight down. I lifted it and turned it, and blook gushed in a torrent over my shoes and hands. The only thing holding it own were my tendons and few scraps of skin and my blue jeans. It felt like somebody was holding a blow torch to my leg. Luckily I didn't lose consciousness as the idiots that worked there wanted to pour vodka down my throat. I told them I was losing blood fast enough thanks. I did ask them to make a tourniquet, and then every ten minutes or so I had to remind them to let it go. I never went into shock, and now I have a very high threshold for pain. The doctors peroformed a miracle and allowed me to keep my leg. Next time I'm over there I think I'll stop in and thank him.

KE

[ March 08, 2006, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

You guys know most of my stories. My leg getting cut off, alcoholic/meth dad, two time felon, my youngest being lifeflighted and nearly dying, my best friend drowning in Can Cun. There's more but those are the biggies.

Does it seem to y'all that I've had more bad luck than most people? Or is it just because it all happened to me?

Overall, great family, friends (you guys) lots of girlfriends, lots of personal glory on the ball field and in school, overall I'd say I'm pretty lucky.

Or am I just an optimist?

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi KE - I was reminded of your son's story when I read yours. I supposed you could think of it as bad luck, but to me the bad luck would be that you died. Really, you are probably the luckiest person I know! [Smile]
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, and I promise I'm not proselityzing, because this doesn't hold water when you compare it across large #s, but my dad had the following (in order):
* adult onset diabetes
* high blood pressure
* heart attack
* stroke
* series of mini-strokes
When finally, in October 2000, he was diagnosed with a malignant tumor that killed him in October 2001. I kept thinking that God was giving him plenty of warning to make his peace, do right, etc.

Not that you do any wrong, but sometimes close calls can make us more aware of the need to be more right with -- ourselves, our family and friends, our God, whatever -- because even if you live to be 100, life is short!

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeerilritorne
Member # 2804

quote:
my dad had the following (in order):
* adult onset diabetes
* high blood pressure
* heart attack
* stroke
* series of mini-strokes
When finally, in October 2000, he was diagnosed with a malignant tumor that killed him in October 2001.

A) Your Daddy hit every stop on the tour, eh?

B) October must have been an absolutely insane month for you.

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

This is post 1985.
Like the year I was born.

Kenmeer's post is # 1984.
Like Orwell.

kenmeerilritorne
Member # 2804

quote:
This is post 1985.
Like the year I was born.

Kenmeer's post is # 1984.
Like Orwell.

And to think I've never read the book.
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

!!!

Read it!

javelin
Member # 1284

Anyone else feel like the signal to noise ratio on this forum has gone wacky this last week?
kenmeerilritorne
Member # 2804

quote:
Read it!
And cast out its ghosts who've inhabited my memory for decades? 1984 is so much a part of our culture that I feel I've absorbed it in a way that reading would only mar.

If it were a detailed work like, say, On the Origin of Species, which also haunts we who've not read it but whose reading is critical to a sense of the basis of evolutionary debate, I'd read it.

I've still got 2/3s of Achilles Shield to finish. (Great book but uniquely difficult to read. VERY rewarding, but taxing to my head in a vexing way.

[ March 08, 2006, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: kenmeerilritorne ]

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

I didn't read 1984 for years for the same reason, kenmeer. And then I read it. And it was definitely better after I read it.
kenmeerilritorne
Member # 2804

quote:
I didn't read 1984 for years for the same reason, kenmeer. And then I read it. And it was definitely better after I read it.
But I haven't even read The Odyssey yet! And I;m 50 years old! You're killing me!
cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by kenmeerilritorne:
quote:
my dad had the following (in order):
* adult onset diabetes
* high blood pressure
* heart attack
* stroke
* series of mini-strokes
When finally, in October 2000, he was diagnosed with a malignant tumor that killed him in October 2001.

A) Your Daddy hit every stop on the tour, eh?

B) October must have been an absolutely insane month for you.

Oddly no. My grandfather also died in October -- maybe both of them! I have a friend who really hates a certain month because it is when a bunch of dying happened in her family, but I've never really been the kind of person to do the death anniversary celebration.
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

I don't do the death anniversary thing, either. Because really... it doesn't matter what day it is, they're still dead.

That probably came out a little bit more cynical than I intended, but I can't think of a better way of phrasing it....

kenmeerilritorne
Member # 2804

cp:

I meant that October when he actually passed over. Maybe I misunderstood the timing, He died shortly after 911, right?

KnightEnder
unregistered

I know the date my best friend drowned, December 19, but I don't celebrate, or mourn in more on that day than any other.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

CPerry, you are exactly right. One half an inch and it would've hit me in the head killing me, and it hit between my ankle bone and calf muscle either of which would have severely crippled me. And even the doctors said the way Jake's skull cracked saved his brain.

So, for a family that has more than its share of adversary we have been very lucky.

And I'd like to say I'm sorry for all of you that lost people you loved. I know how hard it is.

KE

[ March 08, 2006, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Not even close to comparable, but when I crashed on my rollerblades and my finger was opened right up at the side of the middle knuckle by "road rash" (friction grinds and burns away the flesh), I almost lost my index finger on my left hand (and I'm a lefty). And by "almost," I mean this:

When I got to the hospital, they assigned me to a fairly inexperienced doc of some kind. He prepped to do the regular stitch-up job, but then he lifted up a patch of hanging skin and got a good look at it and said "Whoa." Then he left and came back with the second-most experienced doctor in the center. She came in and got a look at it, then started saying to the junior doc, "Oooh, look at that. The white strip, of course, is the tendon... if he'd gone the tiniest bit deeper, he'd be in real trouble. But the *really* interesting thing... look! You can actually see the artery throbbing there, bright red, plain as day. Another millimeter, he'd be in the O.R. and he'd be losing this finger."

None of this was terribly comforting.

I'm sitting there with my hand feeling kinda funny, and they're realizing that the way they're marvelling at my little case is making me laugh a little uneasily.

So they call in the top doctor, and he gets a good look at it and they talk about it again, and how lucky I am, and how they can see this and that. Then he does a really magnificent job patching me up. Tons of tiny little stitches, making sure not to bind it up so that my finger "pulled" a bit to the side or couldn't be fully flexed and straightened.

This was in the 11th grade in spring I think, so roughly four years ago. My finger almost has full feeling back in it now, just the slightest tingle when I rub into the skin. Full strength and range of motion and everything came back within a matter of a few weeks from removing the splint.

Not like I was going to be a concert pianist or anything, but still a big relief to keep the index finger on my dominant hand.

And the thing is, I damaged the same finger again rollerblading like a year and a half later. I left my arm out too far to the side as I came around a corner at high speed and nicked it on the corner, which cut up the flesh on top of the finger. Luckily, I still had a box of gauze from the first incident! But I patched that one up myself without lots of little stitches.

Anyway, just a little story. That's part of what Misc Chat is for, I guess.

kenmeerilritorne
Member # 2804

Happy Maker (if you like crying big fat sappy tears like I do):

<begin>
Please read brought tears to my eyes not many ppl left in
the world that would be so kind!!!

What would you do? You make the choice! Don't look for a
punch line; there isn't one! Read it anyway. My question to
all of you is: Would you have made the same choice?

At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning
disabled children, the father of one of the students
delivered a speech that would never be forgotten by all who
attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he
offered a question:

"When not interfered with by outside influences, everything
nature does is done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay,
cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot understand
things as other children do. Where is the natural order of
things in my son?"

The audience was stilled by the query.

The father continued. "I believe,that when a child like
Shay, physically and mentally handicapped comes into the
world, an opportunity to realize true human nature presents
itself, and it comes, in the way other people treat that
child."Then he told the following story:

Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys
Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked,"Do you think
they'll let me play?" Shay's father knew that most of the
boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but the
father also understood that if his son were allowed to
play, it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and
some confidence to be accepted by others in spite of his
handicaps.

Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and
asked if Shay could play, not expecting much. The boy looked
around for guidance and said, "We're losing by six runs and
the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our
team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth
inning."

Shay struggled over to the team's bench put on a team shirt
with a broad smile and his Father had a small tear in his
eye and warmth in his heart. The boys saw the father's joy
at his son being accepted. In the bottom of the eighth
inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still behind by
three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove
and played in the right field. Even though no hits came his
way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on
the field, grinning from ear to ear as his father waved to
him from the stands. In the bottom of the ninth inning,
Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases
loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was
scheduled to be next at bat.

At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their
chance to win the game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the
bat. Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible 'cause
Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, much
less connect with the ball.

However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher,
recognizing the other team putting winning aside for this
moment in Shay's life, moved in a few steps to lob the ball in
softly so Shay could at least be able to make contact. The
first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The
pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly
towards Shay. As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball
and hit a slow ground ball right back to the pitcher.

The game would now be over, but the pitcher picked up the
soft grounder and could have easily thrown the ball to the
first baseman. Shay would have been out and that would have
been the end of the game.

Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the head of
the first baseman, out of reach of all team mates. Everyone
from the stands and both teams started yelling, "Shay, run
to first! Run to first!" Never in his life had Shay ever
ran that far but made it to first base. He scampered down the
baseline, wide-eyed and startled.

Everyone yelled, "Run to second, run to second!"
Catching his breath, Shay awkwardly ran towards second,
gleaming and struggling to make it to second base. By the time
Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had the
ball, the smallest guy on their team, who had a chance to
be the hero for his team for the first time. He could have
thrown the ball to the second-baseman for the tag, but he
understood the pitcher's intentions and he too intentionally
threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's head.
Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead
of him circled the bases toward home.

All were screaming, "Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay"

Shay reached third base, the opposing shortstop ran to help
him and turned him in the direction of third base, and
shouted, "Run to third! Shay, run to third" As Shay rounded
third, the boys from both teams and those watching were on
their feet were screaming, "Shay, run home! Shay ran to home,
stepped on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit
the "grand slam" and won the game for his team.

That day, said the father softly with tears now rolling
down his face, the boys from both teams helped bring a piece
of true love and humanity into this world.

Shay didn't make it to another summer and died that winter,
having never forgotten being the hero and making his Father
so happy and coming home and seeing his Mother tearfully
embrace her little hero of the day!
<end>

A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WP:
quote:
This was in the 11th grade in spring I think, so roughly four years ago. My finger almost has full feeling back in it now, just the slightest tingle when I rub into the skin. Full strength and range of motion and everything came back within a matter of a few weeks from removing the splint.

Lucky! A couple years ago while I was shaving, the (heavy) razor I was using slipped out of my hand. With my ninja-like reflexes, I caught it -- in my finger. It divided the tip of my index finger in half. I was able to glue it shut, but it was deep and I still have a "dead" spot on my fingertip where I can't feel anything.

It wasn't like having my leg cut off, though...

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page