Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 54)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't "Everwood" great?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Isn't "Everwood" great?

KE

Is that a joke? Not sure I get it, if it is...
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 2471

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be some time before I can respond to a number of threads on which I would like to post...The medicine I take for my sinus allergies inexplicably failed last night and my eyes are very red and sore. It's very hard to look at a computer screen.

Later.

Posts: 223 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mabus:
It may be some time before I can respond to a number of threads on which I would like to post...The medicine I take for my sinus allergies inexplicably failed last night and my eyes are very red and sore. It's very hard to look at a computer screen.

Later.

Sorry to hear it Mabus - hope that's not a permanent failure [Frown]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 2471

Since eyedrops appear to be having some effect now (they did not this morning, when the problem was fresh and I was foolishly poking about online anyway), let me take the time to give a few details.

I have to wear hard (rigid gas-permeable) lenses, which I cannot remove without a small suction cup. (There is a technique, but I cannot get it to work.) Said cup is easy to lose, and so I prefer not to carry it around with me.

However, within the last year or so, I have developed a problem that is apparently caused by allergies--when my sinuses are very plugged up, the pressure causes my eyes to become red and sore if I am wearing my contact lenses. (Without them there is little or no effect.) If I did not take them out quickly when this began, they sometimes became very red and sore, and this could persist for hours or even a few days. For many months I carried my case and suction cup around so that I could take them out if things got too bad.

When I finally realized what appeared to be the problem, I began taking sinus allergy medication (first Sudafed, and more recently Claritin). I continued carrying the lens equipment around until two nights ago, after two months without serious difficulty, and the last two nights I left it at home. Naturally, last night the Claritin unexpectedly failed me, and I was left SOL.

Posts: 223 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

So not kewl - again - sorry to hear. Claritan has literally saved my hide more than once.
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Benadryl is my favorite (can't take stimulants, so also my only option).

I never can figure out if it actually deals with my allergies, or if I just don't notice them when I'm passed out.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for livermeer kenmaile   Email livermeer kenmaile       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes a feller scratch his head. Does the appearance on NBC's Today show of Newt Gingrich as a Voice to Reckon With on the Iranian standoff and (as a subtext at the end of the interview, the role of reform in the Republican party's '06 election prospects) bolster the notion that liberals have that the media is not liberally biased but cow-towing to conservative pressure? Or is it evidence that the conservative claim of a media liberal media bias is true?

I mean, for a liberal, the idea of Newt Gingrich speaking as a Respected Conservative Voice on the subject of reform is delightful. It's like having Hitler speak on behalf of B'nai Brith. It's like Jimmy Carter denouncing peanut butter.

Posts: 1449 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa M.:
Benadryl is my favorite (can't take stimulants, so also my only option).

I never can figure out if it actually deals with my allergies, or if I just don't notice them when I'm passed out.

[Big Grin] I love laughing out loud in the morning and waking up my coworkers. [Big Grin]
Mabus
Member # 2471

My recovery is proceeding a little faster than it did the last time I had a major flareup. I still cannot put my lenses in, though.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Hope you are feeling better today Mabus. I don't wear em but I'll ask my wife about them if she ever wakes up.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

I think I'm falling in love with "Rose" from Doctor Who. Stacy will be nonpullsed.

KE

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's just great. Apparently, now I have allergies also. Or more accurately, I've moved to an area that triggers allergies I didn't know I had.

Got so I couldn't swallow properly, so I had to see a doctor. Got 3 prescriptions. Apparently, altitude plus dry climate plus a wet winter have made this area really bad.

Since the pollen is the tree's attempt to procreate, I don't think its an exaggeration to say that these trees are raping me.

It's on, Trees! You're on notice! [Mad]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergic to two things: Juniper and Aloe.

Last year, moving into the doorms, my roommate looked out the window and went "Oh look, Lisa! We have the Junipers right outside our window!"

... up until that point I didn't know what they looked like.

I also sunburn very easily, and cannot use any products from Bath and Body Works, since they ALL contain aloe.

My mother recently bought handsoap for one of the bathrooms that contains aloe.

I ran out of tissues recently, and a friend gave me a box. I wondered why I had ezcema all over my face until I realized the tissues had aloe in them.

I don't understand why they put it in products that don't need it. It helps heal burns. Generally, people do not get burned under their noses. Also, people generally do not put fruity scented lotion on burns.

... I'm going to stop ranting now before this gets to like seven pages of why Lisa hates nature and capitalism.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I just lost all respect for Dr. House. He layed down a pair of pocket Aces to save a dying child.

KE

ssci
Member # 1053

- posted      Profile for ssci   Email ssci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am disappointed by his childish abuse of Dr. Wilson. He's smart enough to come up with something better.
Posts: 442 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mental note finally going to re register as an independant after 20 years of being a democrat.

Someone asked recently if anything said on Ornery ever got you to change your views, yep. I can honestly say it has caused me to do the unthinkable and drop any further hope for the democrat party.

Thanks everyone for finally providing concrete evidence why the democrats are a party that applauds failure.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

I'd suggest the Concord party, but I don't think your views are "moderate" enough to keep you from being frustrated.
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"I don't understand why they put it in products that don't need it. It helps heal burns. Generally, people do not get burned under their noses. Also, people generally do not put fruity scented lotion on burns."
Aloe is a natural moisturizer, and it's cheap to mass produce and put in products as an extra selling point. That being said, that really sucks you're allergic to that...aloe is pretty much in every moisturizer under the sun. I moisturize my face and neck day and night, and recently switched from Lancome to Mary Kay. Mary Kay is cheaper and generally speaking, their face products are unscented and extra gentle. I don't think they put aloe in their facial products...you might want to check them out.
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

Mary Kay is awesome. It's the only foundation I use.

While I like their moisturizer, Cetaphil is cheaper.

Since it's smaller, the MK ladies have more of an incentive to be informed about allergy information, which I like. Because half the reason I will pay $14 for a lipstick is because of the MK lady being so nice. If one of them outright lies to me about allergy information, there's no way I would buy anything from that particular consultant again.

Ah, the joys of commission.

witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Mental note finally going to re register as an independant after 20 years of being a democrat."

I still haven't been ever asked what to register as in Michigan. Do we not do that here?

I voted in the Dem primary in 2004, but I just had to promise I was participating in the primary "as I democrat" which I took to mean, 'you're voting for Dennis Kucinich 'cause you mean it, not 'cause you're an R trying to monkeywrench like many Dems did in 2000 for St. McCain.

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 2471

I keep hearing these ads for facial creams with collagen in them.

Correct me if I'm wrong--it's been a little while since I actually did any studying--but collagen is, well...a fiber, right? That's how it takes care of your complexion--it holds tight to "keep your face in place". So how does rubbing it on your skin do any good? It sounds like rubbing cotton on your worn-out clothes in the hope that it will repair them.

FIJC
unregistered

I think it's a type of filler...I mainly hear about women getting these as a lip enhancement. It's probably used in some facial creams too, not sure exactly why.
Mabus
Member # 2471

The theory seems to be that the collagen will be absorbed through your skin and (somehow) tighten it up, making it healthier and getting rid of those annoying wrinkles. None of this makes sense to me, unless I have totally misremembered what collagen is, or unless the ingredient is not collagen as such, but some substance that becomes collagen once absorbed.
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

Makeup companies like to put ingredients into their products that sound like they will help skin. Whether or not these products actually do anything is another matter entirely.
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for livermeer kenmaile   Email livermeer kenmaile       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Makeup companies like to put ingredients into their products that sound like they will help skin. Whether or not these products actually do anything is another matter entirely.
This reflects humorously on how more or less covert Hollywood star use of botox popularized the use of an extremely lethal substance to make faces appear younger.

A corollary would be if it were found that precise use of tetanus bacilli is an excellent remedy for arthritically stiff joints.

[ April 18, 2006, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: livermeer kenmaile ]

Posts: 1449 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

Doubt tetanus would do that. If anything, that whole "tightening of the muscles" thing would probably make things worse.
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

quote:
Doubt tetanus would do that. If anything, that whole "tightening of the muscles" thing would probably make things worse.
Agreed. My point is that if a makeup company spokesperson had told us 20 years ago that injecting botulism made one look younger, we would have porobably shied away from their product line.

If it turned out that somehow tetanus DID benefit arthritis in some unique side-effect quasi-homeopathic fashion, it would be a difficuly sell... until it was reprted that majot league athletes were adding 10 years to their careers by using said therapy, whereupon the stuff would fly off the shelves. ('fly off the shelves': has a ring of a consumerist Rapture, yes?)

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hurm lets just shoot ugly people and skip the need for cosmetics.

Could we also begin shooting the average idiots I have to deal with daily?

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

In Chicago, where I grew up (as a child; growing up as an adult required the extreme deprivations of Yakima, Wa [Wink] ), there was, last I knew, a law opn the books making it illegal for a person excessively ugly to walk the streets without complete head covering.

Shoot your own idiots, dammit. I got enough of my own to waste ammo on yours.

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Redscullvw -- you're sounding particularly peeved of late. Anything particular?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by livermeer kenmaile:
This reflects humorously on how more or less covert Hollywood star use of botox popularized the use of an extremely lethal substance to make faces appear younger.

I find it funny that "Botox" is a direct shortening of "botulinum toxin." You'd think they'd have given the drug a name that wouldn't suggest its dangerousness.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On another note, here's a little movie of one of a friend of mine's cats on catnip (click the bottom image):

http://justbetweenstrangers.blogspot.com/2006/04/cats-and-catnip-thursday-kittens-goes.html

Is this ordinary or excessive catnip behavior?

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
On another note, here's a little movie of one of a friend of mine's cats on catnip (click the bottom image):

http://justbetweenstrangers.blogspot.com/2006/04/cats-and-catnip-thursday-kittens-goes.html

Is this ordinary or excessive catnip behavior?

It won't play for me... says it's playing, but stays on the first image.

However, I will attest that I have seen cats do straaaaange things on catnip.

Omega M.
Member # 1392

Just so everyone knows, I was able to get it to play on my computer.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Hi, everybody. Just wanted to say I'm back. My son's new dog chewed through my charger cord, my work laptop, and it cost $110 with overnight delivery to get a new one. Fortunately my boss believes my dog ate my homework.

Oh, and I use L'Oreal Age Perfect. My mom bought it, was allergic to it, then gave it to my wife who uses something else, so when my face gets burned or dry I use it. I don't know why but it seems to work. And I prefer chapstick over carmex. My wife however is addicted to carmex. I should by stock.

Red, I'm not registered at all, but since you brought it up I'm going to look into it.

ADVICE FOR NEW PARENTS, and a little help for the new fathers of children and pets.

Oh, and advice for those of you men that have just have very young children or new pets, heavy ones, I found a new use for my baseball cup when my boys were young, and now with this new puppy I've had to break it back out. Silly, but worth it. I'm sure the men will agree.

I'll add that to my two peices advice I give new parents; 1.) Fix anything that you see that might hurt your children IMMEDIATELY or it will hurt them before you get around to it. (mine was leaving my breifcase too close to the fireplace even though I knew little John liked to pull himself up on it. The doctors wanted to give him stiches and a scar, but I vetoed it, and he doesn't have a mark on him now. Not that I'm dissing doctors, they are the closest thing to God I've encountered on earth. Just they are human too.

2.) Make your children love you so much they will not want to dissapoint you, even when you are not around. (That doesn't mean don't discipline, it means love them so much and discipline them out of love not anger.) It's worked so far for me.

and now 3.) buy a baseball cup.

I lied, 4.) Appreciate them everyday, they grow up too fast. Trite, but true.

KE

[ April 19, 2006, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Thank Scifi for Doctor Who". With BSG, SG1,& SG Atlantis being on hiatus I tnink I would die of boredom if it weren't for this new/old show.

I hope you other Scifi fans are waching it. Which should be most of us judging by how the majority of us got here. Please at least try it for my sake. I'd hate to see it go away. I never watched the origianal, too cheesy looking, but this on is great. Thanks.

KE

Redskullvw
Member # 188

Liked the original 20 years ago. Like this one as well. It preserves the quirkyness of the original, but greatly improves the production value.

In one day, the Apple died, the Dish stopped getting FoxNews < heart attack for me> HGTV & FoodNetwork <heart attack for my wife> and I am totally freaking over the impending visit by all grandparents.

Grandparents who hate their son/daughter in law, didnt even remeber the 1st birthday card for only grandson, ignored first anniversery, ignored calling us for easter, and the house which has 100's of projects going that all must be done by 6 pm friday?

BTW CocaCola's BlaK absolutely rocks even if I cant seem to concentrate for 30 seconds after drinking it.

And how the hell do you shoot 12 nails into your skull with a nail gun? I mean 1 or 2 nails sure. 3 or 4 maybe. But 12 nails?

EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And how the hell do you shoot 12 nails into your skull with a nail gun? I mean 1 or 2 nails sure. 3 or 4 maybe. But 12 nails?
From watching too much Doctor Who?

Muahahahahahahaha!!!

Ed.

Sorry, I JUST couldn't resist. [Smile]

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

Wait I understand...the guy was watching a baseball game and finally broke the mind control beam long enough to reach for a power tool to end his suffering before the 7th inning stretch.
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page