Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 63)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
We are almost up to 3,000 members. wannabersc is #2960.

Thanks for the fencing info Jesse.

Duke sent Little John a letter after his last TAKS test, do they have fencing at Duke?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the Duke Fencing website.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about it, Drake.

Fight Club.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

The Matrix?

Thanks Dave. Cool site. LJ and I watched the videos.

Where is Funean? Does she thinks cause she's a Mod she can't post anymore? [Wink]

KE

Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You rang?

I'm around, just somewhat speechless lately.

And I've been feeling unreasonable. [Smile]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You unreasonable? Even at your most unreasonable you are more reasonable than many posters here. [Smile]
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and, if you have any nearby used sporting goods stores, it's always worth checking.
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drake

Roshomon.

It's Kurusawa, and I can't even spell in english let alone Japanese, so good luck [Smile]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rashomon
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Oh, there you are. Good to see you.

Jesse, there is a pawn shop on every corner here. I didn't even notice it till my boss came down from Boston and mentioned it.

"Like Kurusawa I make mad films...

Okay, I don't make films...

But if I did they'd have a samurai..."

KE

hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KnightEnder, participants in the Renaissance Faire movement bash the hell out of one another in simulated combat I believe. Look at www.renfaire.com And those who have tried making chain mail link by link say they gain a whole new insight into history.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even figure out who you're trying to refer to, but if it's a Japanese filmmaker, most likely Kurosawa
Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Who are you talking too, Lisa? If me, it's an old song in which they reference Kurosawa, however you spell it.

KE

Jesse
Member # 1860

Hobsen....forget about ren faeries [Smile]

http://sca.org/

Ever seen 3000 men in armor beating the snot out of each other? Ever been one of them?

[Big Grin]

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's Kurosawa, then. Someone mentioned it before the song, though, so I was confused.

[/Japanese nerd]

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Hey, the Google toolbar has a spellcheck on it that works on our posts. Cool, no more cut n paste.

KE

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rashomon was all right, but I had a little bit of a hard time with it.

Fight Club - yeah, there's that aspect. But it doesn't have the "feeling lost" aspect, like reality is crumbling. Similar with the Matrix.

Butterfly Effect could be included, although it wasn't really that good. I felt like I was being Punk'd.

There was a STNG episode with Riker performing in a play, captured by aliens, delusional mental patient. That was excellent.

episode

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:

Where is Funean? Does she thinks cause she's a Mod she can't post anymore?

What's she moderating? How'd she get that role?
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

Oh, moderator.

Here I was, thinking she'd purchased a Vespa and started wearing thin ties.

canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought of her as a Rocker.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd, Drake, I don't remember that one, and I thought I'd seen them all. I'll check it out. Maybe I'll remember it.

Yeah, FC is mostly surreal for the actor, not for the viewer.

I can think of a few books that work, but no titles come to mind -- just storylines. Mostly psycho stories, not sci-fi.

Frustrating, though, as I think there's one I'm trying to remember and just can't.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a good one. I recall thinking Frakes was getting some clout on set.

cperry, have you read The Time Traveller's Wife?

Ops recommended it to me and it was really a fantastic read.

The English Patient (novel only) was good...

And of course, if you haven't gotten around to it already, try:

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

These are all cures for the pat ending and all throw in some element of warping thought and imagery.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The capital punishment poll reminded me that I am still annoyed at the criticism Governor Schwarzenegger of California got the last time someone was executed in this state.

The reason I am annoyed is that the California Constitution does not provide that those convicted of crimes may appeal to the Governor. They can appeal to the California Supreme Court, but the appeal process stops there.

Certainly persons convicted can petition the Governor for clemency, but that is not limited to those sentenced to death. Everyone can, which means hundreds of thousands of cases. Many of those are likely to involve far more flagrant injustices than those involving the death penalty.

The whole idea that the Governor, who is in this case not even a lawyer, can take a free evening and reach a better decision on a case than the courts that have been reviewing it ten years is ridiculous. If the Governor thinks the criminal justice system is broken, so lots of innocent people are being convicted and guilty set free, he may have a duty to fix that. But reviewing individual cases is simply not his job.

So blame the California Supreme Court, if you like, for approving a death sentence. And applaud a Governor if he sometimes corrects an injustice which has come to light. But do not expect a Governor, in death penalty cases or any other, to spend his time second guessing the courts.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by canadian:
That was a good one. I recall thinking Frakes was getting some clout on set.

cperry, have you read The Time Traveller's Wife?

Ops recommended it to me and it was really a fantastic read.

The English Patient (novel only) was good...

And of course, if you haven't gotten around to it already, try:

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

These are all cures for the pat ending and all throw in some element of warping thought and imagery.

I have read, and loved, Time Traveler's Wife. Only seen the movie (English Patient). COnsidered reading it but have so many other to read just haven't gotten there yet. Never was able to get into Marquez. Surprising, since I like sci-fi and fantasy. One would think I like magical realism. Will have to try again.
cperry
Member # 1938

Another thing that has bugged me about book endings, lately, is that they often seem rushed to me. Like the writer is so tired of the story he or she just wants to wrap it up and be done with it. Of course, I totally understand that sentiment (and feel that way about many of the books I've read), but it's so much the wrong place to do that, in some stories at least.
cperry
Member # 1938

Also, as an adult I am much less patient with first person narrative. Loved it as a kid but now it doesn't satisfy. Anyone else have this shift?
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree cperry, I feel the same way about first person narrative. I don’t find to much middle ground, its either done really well, or really badly, with the latter being the majority.

I’m also finding that the many of the new books, like the moves, coming out seem ‘incomplete’. It like they writes discover, “oh I’m at page 200 (I’m at 90 min into the film) I better end it now”, when it should have been ended after the first page or minute.
I’m not sure if things have really changed or it’s just me, wanting something more? I suspect the latter.

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

You got it, rightleft22. That's exactly what it seems like -- oh, the audience can't sit for much longer so let's end it now!

But it's probably no different than in the past, just our increasingly sophisticated tastes. [Wink]

KnightEnder
unregistered

CP, I love scifi, but I hate magic and fantasy.

Anybody else hate cable commercials? If I see the damn "Fire on the Mountain" church revival advertisemtent one more time on Fox News I'm finding a bell tower.

Bush; "I know Hessbolah is supported by Iran." How can he ever say "I know" again with a straight face, or clean conscious?

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

KE - I used to be much more into magic and fantasy, but I've lost a lot of my taste for it as I've gotten older -- although I still love the idea of magic. I particularly have little patience for series that just ... don't ... end (Robert Jordan, anyone?).
Jesse
Member # 1860

After 350mg of Soma, it realy is a Brave New World.
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the Wheel of Time is ending, the next one is the last one. He might not live long enough to finish it, but an end has been scheduled.
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Not the soma I take. Lexapro is better. [Wink]

I'd stay in The Matrix. It may not be steak, but if it taste like it that's good enough for me. Perception equals happiness. [Smile] Have a nice day.

KE

Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any other reality questioning movies to add to the list?
12 Monkeys is a good one. And, by the same director, Brazil. In fact, the whole Dreams trilogy if you havn't seen them (Time Bandits, Brazil, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen) explore similar themes. I'm a big fan of Terry Gilliam.

[ July 29, 2006, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Adam Lassek ]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Those were all good especially Time Bandits when I was a kid, and 12 Monkeys as an adult, the other two got too sureal for my tastes.

Buffy did an episode where she thought she was an inmate in an insane asylum fantasizing about here 'Slayer' life. Revolutionary because her 'real' life was insane and so, Occam's Razor, her being insane and delusional was a lot more realistic.

KE

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going on sabbatical from Ornery for a while. I need to focus on other things for a while, including the Concord Party. I wasn't actually going to mention it, because I find such "I'm going away" messages tiresome, but it seems somehow expected.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

We'll miss seeing you around, The Drake, but the Concord Party is a good reason to take time off from OA.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Come back soon Drake.

Somebody should start a thread explaining the whole Concord Party better. I might want to be a part, but I am confused about what is going on and what the parties platform consists of?

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Thank God for my wife. If it weren't for Stacy I would sleep on the first sheet I came across in the first store I was in that had sheets. Stacy on the other hand cares about thread count, fit and all that. Right now I'm laying in some burgundy colored sheets that are as soft as something that is real real soft. A pleasure I would never have known were it not for her.

I hope little John never sees this post. He already thinks I'm a metrosexual.

KE

javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look here for our Principles.

Here's our Positions.

Here's our forum for discussing changes and additions.

I'd prefer people use the lobby to ask questions that they might have - I don't really want to clog up this forum. I believe you can post as a guest in the lobby.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page