Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 70)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing they were thinking when they shot down Firefly.

Nothing at all.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Nathan Fillion a couple weeks ago. I wish I could say I had a beer with him, but it was me at a table and him walking by.

"I appreciate your work," I said to him

"Thanks. I appreciate you saying so" he said with a smile bordering on a sheepish smirk.

And then a couple manly nods to each other and he went to join his friends.

He's kind of on the larger side, and he has laser focus in his eyes. Friendly, but necessarily detached.

He grew up here and was promoting a documentary he narrated (and possibly produced? I don't know).

Anyway, my sister did a few plays with him back in the day.

[ September 11, 2006, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Okay. Off to class. I shall return later, if I can escape my family's desperate pleas to play D&D with me.
Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

Am I the only one chilled by 0Megabyte's post here?

I dunno, something about saying that here...

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Okay. Sorry. I know it was utterly stupid.

Still, I didn't see the time on it or anything, and wasn't thinking about that part. It was... silly.

So, canadian, I shall whack you with a stick until you behave. ::whacks::

canadian
Member # 1809

[Wink]
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I saw Nathan Fillion a couple weeks ago.
Very jealous. Thank you for sharing though - always interesting to see how actors are outside their job - especially when you respect their work. [Smile]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Truly I hope Everard reconsiders his decision to leave this forum. For one thing his name makes me smile every time I see it. As it chances to be a variant of the name I bear in real life, I am familiar with its meaning.

Actually there are a family of names of the type, of which Bernard and Leonard and Reynard come to mind. Bernard means strong as a bear, Leonard fierce as a lion, and Reynard wise as a fox.

Everard means powerful as a pig.

My dear friend Marjorie once suggested she should fly a flag with a pig on some national holiday, as she felt the U.S. flag was too militaristic. This seemed a fine idea to me, and I am delighted we share the same clan animal. Moreover her clan has a website in Ireland with a suitably ferocious wild boar on a field of green. It is the O'Malley clan, and I visit it for a peek whenever I feel like getting in touch with my roots.

Porkers of the world unite!

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Ev Jewish? (don't they hate pigs? Remember, not only am I American, but a Texan.)

And 'porker', Ev's very thin. Sorry to hear about your weight problem Hobson. (can fat people call each other porkers? Is that like black people being able to call each other the 'N' word?) [Wink]

Seriously, I too hope he comes back. (I've stated many times he is one of if not my best friend here. Pete is also my friend, but I account for that by being psycotic. And I miss Enumclaw. He was great.) [Crying]

I also hope Paladine comes back soon from his sabatical. But I hope he comes back a Liberal so he will stop trashing me in arguments. [Smile]

KE

[ September 12, 2006, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, heh, I got the jury duty rescheduled and they didn't say Boo about my snarky little note [Smile]
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

What happened to Enumclaw again? I don't remember... when precisely did he leave?

Also: I have no friggin clue what my political persuasion is, nor what political party I'd be best served by joining if I wanted to actually do the politics thingie after all.

KnightEnder
unregistered

He left many moons ago. Just didn't have a lot of time. Great guy. Lives in Enumclaw, Washinton.(?) Good buddy of Pete's. <sarcasm> But he and I were simpatico on a lot of stuff.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Good night, 0Meg, all. [Smile] [Wink]

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good morning. Daycare provider broke her leg. I'm it today (and for the next few days). Ah, the joy of grandparenthood. If only I were retired and not losing annual days! 8)
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Redskullvw:
I guess that is why the longer you have been associated with Ornery, the more protective you feel towards it.

Excellent post, Redskullvw. This point is so true. I almost don't want to share the link with others because I kinda like things the way they are. (Yeah, yeah, I know things change and change is inevitable. But you know what I mean.)
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
Enumclaw is a town east of Seattle in the Cacades foothills. Nice location... but you gotta like rain.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Paladine,

If you see this please check your email and call me. It is important! Thanks.

(Ken, I love the rain, maybe I'll retire there. Be Enumclaw's neighbor. When we are old we can sit around and bitch about Pete, then I can drive to Vegas to play poker and me and Pete can sit around and bitch about all the rest of y'all.)

KE

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
And it don't get hot like Tejas do.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

It's cold and wet here, right now.

Today we made apple kuchen with the fruit plucked off the tree in the backyard. There's only a small window for perfect apples, so we were pretty excited. The first batch tanked, but the second attempt was a marvel. I'm holding myself back from going for yet another slice.

That's what's good about the cooling season, getting together with friends and family and cooking all day. Big breakfasts, cold lunches, dinners where the table is crowded, the wine is flowing and the pastries have come out of the oven in flaky, buttery perfection.

Of course, after all that, I find myself cleaning for an hour or so, but it's a small price to pay for the contented murmuring of the guests as they sip drinks and let dinner settle.

Then I hit them with chocolate desserts and fresh raspberries (chortles gleefully).

A few of the menfolk, we go step outside for a pipe or cigar and listen to each other bullsh!t about politics or the economy, or whatever, share a few off-coloured jokes and then go back inside, accepting with boyish smirks the gentle taunts and teases of the women as we drag in the smell of fresh, sweet tobacco.

"It smells like my grandpa," one of them said with a bit o' wist.

And I like that. I like that one day my kids will have kids and I might step inside and give the little cubs a stubbly kiss while they bury their little heads in my sweater pungent with sweet cavendish or some appley tobacco.

As it is, I can still do that with my wee ones, and they laugh and squirm away from scratchy old dad.

Forgive the meandering, but I'm in my cups, as they say. An old codger who writes poetry brought over some of his treasured whiskeys and we shared a few glasses as he helped me refine my palate.

And now it's dark, everyone gone, the house sleeping, and I'm kept awake by the gash beside my eye I just gave myself on the mantle as I leaned into the bookshelf to find something to read and lull me to sleep.

I'm going to look all manly in the morning, and get many coos of concern which I'll accept like a man dying to return to the womb, but of course admire myself later as I posture like an oaf who in times past would've dashed goddess figurines
against the rocks as I clung to my warrior's hubris and proclaimed that life sprung from a male god.

For now, with ice pressed to my cheek, and the blood finally congealing into something resembling a scab, I give thanks that my head wasn't a degree more to the right and my eyes both seem to be intact and there is life yet in these fragile veins of mine.

After all, that's the most we can ask at the end of the day isn't it?

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Well. A mantle gash. I cooked stuffed green peppers, roasted a chicken, made gravy and mashed potatoes, and held down the fort while folks went out and did what they had to do.

Son had to skate, older son had to go home and crash after Tonka failed to take us camping, wife had to see a movie with her sister (who is also her best friend; 'magine that), daughter went to her first job (serving food for old folks at a retirement home), and then her second job (serving cokes to horny guys at a strip club).

The stray female ****zu dog we acquired Saturday night wants to play but settles for a pet now and then.

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Sunday night really sucked. I called my Dad, as I do weekly to attempt to maintain some sort of communication with him even if it is one way. Long story short he had the rest of our family disinvie me to his 60th birthday party, and keep me completely out of the loop that it was even happening. He then told me that he hated me, that I was useless, and contribute nothing to the world.

Yes there is lots more to it, but we will skip it. It has just become a worsening sitution with him since I married. He hates my wife, primarilly because she is not from the same social class as me. Even providing his only grandchild hasn't made things better.

So anyway, assuming my family life continues going to Hell in a handbasket, I just might have more time to participate here.

Can you imagine, skipping a granchild's christmas, thanksgiving, etc. because you refuse to drive 2 hours to see him?

Which makes more sense, have a 17 month old sit in a car on the interstate for 2 hours both ways to go visit someone. Or, an adult sit in a car the same amount of transit time to visit a 17 month old? OF COURSE! THE INFANT MUST TRAVEL BECAUSE IF THE ADULT HAD TO DO THE TRAVELING, IT WOULD CUT INTO HIS WEEKEND DRINKING HOURS!

I am just so angry right now. The Baby Boomer generation has consistently proven to be the most self absorbed and selfish generation I have had contact with. I am sure there ar exceptions, but of my son's collection of 5 grandparents, four of them can't even be bothered to come see him, and when we go to see them we either get ignored or turned away at the door.

Christmass at my house.. hopefully none of them come.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Find yoseff a new Dad. Nursing hmes are full of folks with lots of love and wisdom and historical perspective.

Then tell your Dad to get in line if he wants a shot at being involved.

Don't blame us Baby Boomers, though. We said the same thing about our parents, those who grew up in the Depression and fought WWII. YOu know, the Greatest generation. Most of us Boomers wouldn't have pissed on 'em if they wuz on fire.

Peoples are peoples. Sometimes you grow up/marry into a sour patch.

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KL

There is a difference however.

You boomers were telling your parents how square, un-hip, and hated they were by many of you. Your parents however, were not usually the ones telling the boomers that they hated you.

Its completely normal for a younger generation to hate/mistrust/dislike their parent's generation.

Its completely abnormal for the parental generation to hate its own offspring.

And between my wife and myself we can provide 5 exaamples of this style of hatred.

Being a father now, I cannot imagine anything but the most twisted of futures which would ever permit me to tell my child I hated him, even if I was ten beers to the floor drunk.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's dreadful, Redskull.

If what you say about the Boomers is true, what does that say about the folks who reared them? One of the most critical tasks of any parent is to instill a sense of awareness that other people exist. It's not something we're born with.

I'm never sure if I'm a Boomer or not; the Baby Boomers supposedly are the folks born the 20 years following the end of WWII in 1945. I was born in 1965; am a young Boomer or an old X-er?

Anyway, I've found that since having children I've become completely, totally intolerant of certain attitudes, and I share your revulsion and anger. At least it's not a borderline situation where you'd have to feel guilty about loathing them.

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

time to take a break because I am in an obviously bad frame of mind and am taking it out on everyone.
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, you guys are old.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"You boomers were telling your parents how square, un-hip, and hated they were by many of you. Your parents however, were not usually the ones telling the boomers that they hated you."

AU contraire. Trust me. This is same old same old.

Parents disowning their long-haired hippy pnko faggot sons were a dime a dozen in the late 60s/early 70s. The Generation Gap widened from both sides.

And fathers behaving like selfish assholes toward their children and grandchildren were not unknown then by any means.

It ain't Boomers or Gen Xers or Jazz Era/Depression babies: it's just people. Ancient Greek tragedy is full of this stuff. Shakespeare built half his literary career on tales of awful parents.

Just work on how you treat your own and let the rest go as they will.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

The Official Baby Boomer Qualifying guide

"The sociologists define baby boomers as those born between 1946 and 1964."

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Tommy, you so young your belly-button lint is still green and attached to your navel.
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Well, luckily my father is dead and so I won't have to worry about him being an asshole. Had he survived long enough for me to reach adolescence, he probably would have caused me harm thanks to his... vices.

However, that's not a worry for me. But surprisingly enough, I've learned that my surviving grandparents would most likely disown me (or at least grow very upset) if I ever ended up with a nice black woman. I didn't know this until recently. Nor did I ever consider or think about it.

Some "Greatest generation," if they cannot even tolerate people that have more color pigments than they. Pathetic.

Hey, redskull, my parents are baby boomers too. Luckily, my mother got the hippy-ness out of her system long before I was born. By the time she was 27, 28 she was ready to have a child and by the time she was 29 had attempted several previous times before managing to have me.

However, had she had me back even during her mid twenties, she probably would have been just as bad as many of the baby boomers went. She's great, and I cannot imagine her as a hippy, but she was pretty close to that. Go figure.

Hmm. How old are you, Red? I know most of those my age are the children of GenXers, not Baby boomers. But my mother started late, thankfull, and was born in the late 50's.

But back from my tangent... your dad seems to suck. Terribly. That sort of selfishness is truly reprensible.

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Careful, Ken. We young ones will be deciding what to do with whatever is left of the Social Security you haven't already squandered by the time we get into power.
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in 1986, and I have no idea what generation that makes me.

Then again, I don't put a whole lot of stock into this whole "people are defined by the decade in which they are born" thing.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Yeah, it is kinda silly.

It's not like I identify with others my age anyway. Though it's kinda fun. I at least enjoy blaming the Baby Boomers for all the troubles currently going on. [Big Grin]

Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I qualify as a Baby Boomer and I have just moved house. The central heating is being replaced. The whole house is being rewired. We’re having a new kitchen and bathroom installed. The garden is like a jungle. The floor in one of the rooms is lower one end than the other. All my kids and grandkids have been round most days to help and encourage us. I also like the view from my front room window.

At this particular moment I’m glad I’m a Baby Boomer.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

"Careful, Ken. We young ones will be deciding what to do with whatever is left of the Social Security you haven't already squandered by the time we get into power."

Excellent point [Big Grin] . I've used that logic against my 'father' before when he got out of line.

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

Lisa, I think you, omega, and i would be called Generation X!

Because we are eXtreme to the maxX

cperry
Member # 1938

I was born in 1965 too, and I'm certainly NOT old, thank you very much. [Wink] And I don't think of myself as either a baby boomer or a genXer. There's gotta be a term for us onthecuspers.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

You guys will use what's left of Social Security to take care of your parents.

Filial piety, you know.

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Hmm. (puts on fake Irish accent) We might, rabbit, we might.
TommySama
Member # 2780

Screw my parents. They can burn in hell, I'm going to use social security to pay for my home on the lake.
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page