Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 72)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so how many people are like me and my wife who were told that Wisdom teeth must be removed because they would cause horrible jaw and bite problems? Hen somehow, neither of us got them yanked when we were kids. So we still have all the teeth we were designed to have, and have absolutely no dental problems.

I think she has had a few fillings and braces when she was younger. I had nothing done to mine.

I think dentists doing the "must remove your wisdom teeth" is going to turn out 20 years from now the same way "you must have your tonsils removed", not only not needed, but may possibly do more harm than good.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok so how many people are like me and my wife who were told that Wisdom teeth must be removed because they would cause horrible jaw and bite problems?
I was told that, and had it done, so I don't know whether it was true or not.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had two pulled at one time (top & bottom, one side) and went to a dance that night. THen later the other two yanked, and didn't go out (no dance), but remember having to vacuum the house. Some of us are lucky in the wisdom teeth removal business. Hope yours goes well, LisaM. Sorry, KE, to hear about the teeth and your grandmother.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Redskull - while I believe that they're removed more often than they probably need to be, I've seen the evidence on mine - they're going to hit bone if they grow in all the way.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, KE. But it's amazing what they can do, now, for cardiac problems.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had six wisdom teeth removed when I was about 21. They put me out and my best friend drove me home and put me to bed. Over all it was not bad situation.

I was also under general when they fused my C6-C7 vertabrea last year. I blew a disk sneezing and impinged on the main nerve bundle in the right arm. Felt like it was on fire until the percocets and the pheninyl kicked in. Had no reaction to the general and was eating up a strom several hours later.

I do not fear getting knocked out for surgery. It was actually quite peaceful.

Of course when I was on the pain meds my wife and kids said I was the most mellow they had ever seen me. [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was given Valium to keep my eyes closed after getting laser eye surgery. Apparently I was really out of it but I just felt nice and relaxed. It wore off after a nap and I was really irritated because I couldn't keep my eyes closed anymore.
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Jav,

Use me being gone, against me. Not defending my position, or being outraged at liberal atrocities, government leaks (by liberals), etc. No, I don't think anyone here would use my grandma's illness again me.

In fact, thank you all for your kind words. She's getting better, slowly. I've been there every night. One of the few times being a nightowl comes in handy.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

OSC's "Homework" article is hilarious. And right on the money. Tuesday before last, after coming home from work, Little John and I spent four hours in Home Depot building a catapolt to throw an egg over a three foot wall.

I then spent the rest of the night until like 4 in the morning finishing and painting it.

The teacher did say it was the most original and well designed. I was very proud. Of MY work! [Wink]

John helped, but he also had a History project and social studies homework. He is in advanced classes and routinely has two or three hours of homework a night.

He's better educated than I was, but I had a lot more fun when I was his age. [Smile]

Little John when asked sadi: "I learned that PVC pipe can be connected like Legos."

Time well spent! Actually we did have a really good time being together. But I immediately wondered about the other kids. Kids with single parents, especially single mom's, and poor people.

Did their kids get punished because they didn't have the time or money to spend at Home Depot? [Frown]

Of course few of them can afford to send there kids to the school district Stacy and I have struggled 15 years to stay in.

KE

[ September 30, 2006, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet, a catapolt? In my woodworking class in tenth grade I made a trebuchet that was pretty rocking. I could throw little blocks of wood like 15 feet. It was tits.

Glad to here your grandma's getting better

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't a catapult violate the school zero-tolerance weapons policy?
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I'm back. Grats KE [Smile]
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks Tommy.

Drake, I had to drive him cause they wouldn't let him on the bus with it in the box. (Concealed weapon I guess. [Wink] ) (And Stacy has been intentionally keeping him from getting his liscence.)

Welcome back Paladine. [Smile]

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

I'm off to Louisiana this morning to play Poker (until my shift tonight). Wish me luck!

KE

FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Drake -

We actually had one group of people build a potato gun for our AP Phyisics class (2000-2001). My project was a solenoid gun.

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Paladine. Good to see ya.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. [Wink] Good luck with the poker, KE. Hope it goes better than mine has lately. For example:

Dealt to Neutrality [5s 9c]
wuddacooler folds
LongLostLoser folds
noataima calls $100
MUCKEMSAYUHH folds
Neutrality checks
*** FLOP *** [8h 6h 8d]
Neutrality checks
oober (Observer): 5 hrs
noataima checks
*** TURN *** [8h 6h 8d] [7s]
Neutrality checks
noataima bets $100
Neutrality raises to $500
noataima raises to $900
Neutrality raises to $2,000
noataima raises to $5,550, and is all in
Neutrality calls $3,550
noataima shows [Qd 8s]
Neutrality shows [5s 9c]
*** RIVER *** [8h 6h 8d 7s] [7d]
noataima shows a full house, Eights full of Sevens
Neutrality shows a straight, Nine high
noataima wins the pot ($11,347) with a full house, Eights full of Sevens

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

No luck.

I played well and still lost $140. Had to get home to take care of my grandma so didn't have time to win it back or lose more. First time I've lost. I'm thinking of playing No Limit instead. At least then you can get the crazies off the draws.

For example, my last hand.

I had pocket Aces the flop was trash 3, 8, 9, with two Clubs. I knew the guy was on a draw, and I bet the Limit. Then when a Diamond came on Turn and a 7 of Hearts on the River I bet the limit cause I knew he'd missed his draw. But the River made him two pair. He was holding a 7 and 3 of clubs. He even apologized. Didn't help.

Pal, runner runner after Neutrality made the Straight on the Turn is brutal. How noataima made the call on the Turn is beyond me though. He wasn't even pot committed at that point. Did he think Neutrality was bluffing or was he just clueless? (I would have been scared of 9,10, Not to mention pocket 6's.)

KE

TommySama
Member # 2780

If you have sex with a really old person, and they have a heart attack, can you be charged with man-slaughter?
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
No, just reckless fornication, or maybe just brandishing genitalia.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Assault with a deadly weapon? Let's see; a knife can't be longer than 6 inches, so I'm okay. [Crying]

Personally, I think you should get a citizen award. That's how I want to go. [Wink]

However, unless I remarry there's slim chance of that. [Frown]

Of course Stacy could slip into a coma mid coitus and I'd never know the difference. [Razz]

KE

[ October 04, 2006, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

TommySama
Member # 2780

"Of course Stacy could slip into a coma mid coitus and I'd never know the difference."

Assault with a deadly weapon. Don't be modest, KE; we all know you're hung.

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Open up the fly to your sunshine." - Ignignokt
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a blog, somebody posted a link to a picture of "orphaned baby kangaroos being kept comfortable in surrogate-pouch bags." Knowing what the inside of a kanagroo's pouch is really like, I thought the picture would be disgusting, but apparently the bags are just ordinary cloth bags, so it's actually cute.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Yeah, they're not the itty-bitty things that really still belong inside. These guys can hop.
TommySama
Member # 2780

I want a kangaroo [Frown]

"Yeah, they're not the itty-bitty things that really still belong inside. These guys can hop."

The owner is babying them

TommySama
Member # 2780

If a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is around to hear it, does it kill the deaf guy it landed on?
Paladine
Member # 1932

KE-

I'm Neutrality, and I put him on exactly what he had. [Frown]

KnightEnder
unregistered

I got my laptop back! Now I can post from anywhere just like God intended. [Wink]

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

LOL, KE.
KnightEnder
unregistered

No Paladine. I mean that noataima should have been worried about you having the 9,10 (cards people hold onto, especially suited) for the straight. That being the case I don't see how he made the call on the Turn.

Cause even with Trip 8's, with a straight being on the board his only chance was to catch the case 8, a Queen, or pair the board on the River. He didn't have the Pot Odds to call your $2,000 raise much less go All-In, and he must have known at that point he was beat? He he must have known you had the Straight?

Talk about Sucking-Out. That's a bad beat. Even worse than mine. At least the guy I was against was drawing to a Flush and in Limit he had the Pot Odds. He got lucky, but at least he had a reason for being there. Not like the guy you were playing who basically played stupid and got really really lucky.

Are there a lot of people that play silly like that in No Limit? I was hoping that No Limit would make more sense and that you could get people off drawing hands, etc?

If I do play No Limit how much do I need to take as a bank roll? $500 okay? I'm thinking I'll enter some tourneys first. $100 entry $110 rebuy. $15,000 garunteed. Money to the top 10 finishers, max of 50 players. What do you think.

KE

[ October 07, 2006, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Paladine
Member # 1932

I have to get to work, but generally you want approximately 30 maximum buyins (generally 100-200 big blinds) for whatever game you're going to play, assuming you have a comfortable edge there. So for a 1/2 game with a maximum buyin of $200, you should want a minimum of $6000 in your roll.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks.

Vanilla Ice was a genius for ripping off Queen/David Bowie's "Under Pressure".

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

Who knew I would ever, EVER, see the words "Vanilla Ice" and "genius" in the same sentence?
KnightEnder
unregistered

Good point. I'm probably giving him too much credit. Probably some "manager" or "producer" dicided to rip off "Under Pressure".

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

Okay. I can go with that. [Wink]
KnightEnder
unregistered

We pulled the ventilator tube out of my Grandma this morning, and started upping her morphine. (I stayed the night again with her last night.) She died at 4:25pm.

Probably going to lose my job because of all the time I spent with her over the last few weeks. My boss said something like "we all have personal baggage but we can't let it interfere with work." **** him. I was looking for a job when I found this one.

KE

[ October 12, 2006, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
We pulled the ventilator tube out of my Grandma this morning, and started upping her morphine. (I stayed the night again with her last night.) She died at 4:25pm.

Probably going to lose my job because of all the time I spent with her over the last few weeks. My boss said something like "we all have personal baggage but we can't let it interfere with work." **** him. I was looking for a job when I found this one.

KE

I am so sorry to hear that, KE.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks Jav.

KE

Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sort-of back. I'm still working a zillion hours lawyering, and am trying to get started as a piano tuner-recycler plus furniture re-doer. The piano business has been especially slow to start up, as I'm working a zillion hours lawyering. But my hours are starting to get a little more under control. Usually I have Sundays to do my new thing. I just refinished the woodwork on a dining table plus eight chairs. Next up is the seats of the chairs. The set is going to be awesome. I'm not sure it's as profitable as lawyering, doing furniture work. But it's a hell of a lot more worthwhile.
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Hey Zyne. Good to see ya! So, do you like the furniture gig?
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page