Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 73)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back Zyne. I have missed your perspective on things here lately.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KE-

I'm sorry for your loss, and I know you'll pull through. As for your job...if your boss is that much of an ass, you're probably better off working for people who value and respect you more.

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I don't know how I missed that. Sorry to hear about your Grandmother KE. I'm glad that you got to say goodbye to her.

As to the boss situation, I'm not going to second what Paladine said here. While I agree that it sounds like your boss is being a bit of an ass, I wouldn't quit one job without having secured another first. Try to sit down with him and discuss the situation. Maybe he just doesn't understand what it is that you are going through right now, and maybe he his just giving you a nudge to make sure that you don't settle into a pattern of work behavior that is inconsistent with what you have shown him in the past. If he is just being an ass though I would definately find and secure another job before quiting the current one.

Edited to add:

It is always easier to find work while you are employed than when you are unemployed.

[ October 13, 2006, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Dave at Work ]

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry, KE, to hear this. I hope she was comfortable and made the transition peacefully.

Sorry also to hear about your boss's reaction. I can't imagine that kind of callousness, especially at this time in your life. Perhaps your boss just needs someone to help him see how important people -- not jobs -- are.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
Bye, Granny. Keep your nightie buttoned. Heaven's nice but them clouds can be drafty.

Love, Us

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KE-

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

If you need berevement time, take it. Sanity trumps employment.

Don't quit until you have another job if you can possibly help it.

I once heard a dispatcher tell a driver "My mother didn't die, and we've got freight to move". Took four of us to pull the driver off ... and he did a couple years behind it.

Your boss is an ass, but don't hurt yourself to teach him a lesson.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys so much for your kind words. Fortunately it is easier to type than talk while you are crying. I really appreciate it.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
blubber, brudder. it's what makes ye a man. hu-man.

"I once heard a dispatcher tell a driver "My mother didn't die, and we've got freight to move". Took four of us to pull the driver off ... and he did a couple years behind it."

Hopefully, the dispatcher was injured for life?

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Late to the doings as usual, but I'm so, so sorry to hear of your loss, KE. I had all of my grandparents till I was 31, and I still miss each of them acutely.

Good for you for having your priorities in the proper order. There are indeed jobs out there where that is considered an asset in an employee rather than a liability.

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

tell it like it was
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, fractured eye-socket and what not Ken.

There was a telephone involved, hence an Assault with a Deadly charge.

I was outta there two weeks later.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

aw shucks. i'd hoped he'd ripped a kneecap or somp'n.

moral: hire a professional.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks Fun. The funeral was tonight. I didn't hold up as well as I'd thought.

The preacher actually said: For those of you who are Christians when you walk by for the final viewing know that you will see her again soon. For those of you who aren't Christians take a good last look because it will be the last time you ever see her.

KE

[ October 15, 2006, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post 
Son of a...

What creed does that jerk follow, again?

I find myself feeling disdain for such people who claim that. Especially if the person is a preacher! Anyone worth the name must be far more... compassionate and knowledgable than that to deserve it.

Then again, I base my view of what a priest should be on my positive experiences with Catholic priests. (not the ones who are fond of pedestary and pedophilia.)

If the guy's a Catholic... then my disdain is even greater. (I have a feeling he isn't, though.)

Anyway, sorry KE, I missed all of this. I feel bad about it... but there is nothing else I can do but give my condolences, as weak and ineffectual as they are.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks Ant. He is a Southern Baptist.

Catholic Priests. I long for the ones like Bing Crosby and Spencer Tracy played in the old movies.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

I've said it before but the best job of casting ever has to be Patrick Stewart as Professor Charles Xavier in 'X-Men'. Perfection.

Anybody else think of any other situation that rivals or surpasses this casting choice? (Helps that Stewart is a great great actor who looked exactly like the comic book character introduced years before.

And I don't mean like Stallone as Rocky. He made that roll his own. I'm talking about an established character from a television show, book, legend, etc. that when they made the movie for the big screen was played by the 'perfect' actor for that roll.

IMO, Pierce Brosnan as 007 is a close second. (Even if Sean Connery did a great job, arguably the best, Brosnan just WAS Bond. He was born to play the roll of Bond, James Bond.

KE

[ October 15, 2006, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Well, KE, it figures. The Southern Baptists have beliefs that I cannot but feel are... evil.

Their god is not my God, even if they claim it is. The god they believe in seems to me to be evil, the enemy of humanity. And another word for enemy/adversary is Satan, and Satan is mainly mankind's enemy, so...

---

Hmm. I do agree with Patrick Stewart as Professor X. There is no better word but perfection, as you said.

Other casting choices. Hmm. Sir Ian Mckellan as Gandalf the Gray. He was exactly as I imagined him in the books... which I read before I ever heard of a gleaming of the movie. But at the very most htat's an equally perfect role.

He was also a good Magneto... if only the movies were better, and they used him more effectively.

Incidentally, I find that whenever I read Dune, the vision of Paul Atreides in my mind is the same as the actor who played him in the godawful 80's version movie. I weep, that this image has corrupted my beloved book.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Their god is not my God, even if they claim it is. The god they believe in seems to me to be evil, the enemy of humanity. And another word for enemy/adversary is Satan, and Satan is mainly mankind's enemy, so...
If you'd like to bring that to a thread, I'd be interested in hearing how you justify such an... interesting... statement.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

He thinks that Southern Baptists are of duh debbil. I'd agree except... I've eaten of their potlucks, and have decided that anyone who cooks that good can't be all bad.

Or, like Betty Bowers said:

'Jesus and I are so close he shared his loaves and fishes recipe with me.'

By their fruitsalands ye shall know them. Look to the crisp of their fried-chicken, and follow the trail of their gravy...

[ October 15, 2006, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Yes, interesting. I generally think of stuff like that when I'm angry.

But am I serious or not? Well... a part of me is. But which part? And how large is that part? I know other parts of me think differently.

I'll begin in it a little while, after I do some... studying.

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

Well, this will be lengthy and difficult, so it'll take awhile. That whole statement is a part of a not-yet-fully-realized worldview that I am growing into, piece by piece. I don't know where it will lead yet, but maybe in thirty years I'll be able to give a clear, concise arguement.

I haven't gone through all the ramifications of all the arguements I would be making, nor have I really coded all my arguements. It might even eventually lead to conclusions I do not wish, to beliefs I do not wish to believe.

So... I'll start fashioning it when I get home from work.

This'll be fun. And yes, Javelin, I'll justify that statement as well as I can. As well as clarify it. Oh yes, such fun...

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"I've said it before but the best job of casting ever has to be Patrick Stewart as Professor Charles Xavier in 'X-Men'. Perfection.

Anybody else think of any other situation that rivals or surpasses this casting choice? (Helps that Stewart is a great great actor who looked exactly like the comic book character introduced years before."

Alec Guiness as Obie-Wan. Richard Harris as Professor Dumbledore.

"Brosnan just WAS Bond"

I'm no Bond fan but I agree.

Hank Azari as The Blue Raj.

"I'm a sewper hero, mummy! An effete, British superhero."

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan Rickman as Professor Snape was marvelous, as was Kenneth Brannagh as Gilderoy Lockheart.

Even though the rest of the movie was bizzarely cast, Michael Keaton as Dogberry in "Much Ado about Nothing" (the Kenneth Brannagh/Keanu Reaves version). And his assistant-guy.

Liam Neeson made a pretty sweet (if I put his name it's a spoiler) in Batman Begins.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post 
Snape was a good cast.

Also, Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken in "Escape From New York" and "Escape From LA"

Top two best movies of all time.

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Entire cast of Princess Bride, anyone?
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Many Patinkin - Inigo Montoya ("Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father prepare to die!" & "You seem a nice fellow, I hate to kill you.")
Kerry Elwes - Wesley - AKA - The Black "Pire" Pirate Roberts ("You seem a nice fellow, I hate to die. & "As...you...wishhh.")
Robin Right Penn - The Princess Buttercup
Billy Crystal as Miracle Max ("Shows how much you know smart guy; he's only mostly dead!" & "To blave!" instead of "True Love" & "Have fun storming the castle boys!")
Max's Wife - Carol Kane (Liar! Liar!")
Vincenze - The Genius with the Dazzling Intellect. (Also great in a Kevin Dillon Movie)The Sputtering Bald Comedian who died of Iocaine Powder, and who kept saying "Inconceviable!"
Fezzik - Andre the Giant who said when Vincenze kept saying "Inconveviable! and yet those things kept happening: "I don't think that word means what you think it means."
Peter Sellers -Grandpa/Columbo (Telling the story.)
Fred Savage (The sick little boy/Kevin Arnold of "The Wonder Years".)
The Evil Prince Humperdink (I can't think of his real name, but he was also the Vampire in "Fright Night", a very underated movie, also starring Roddy McDowell.)
The Six Fingered Man - (I love the part where Wesley sees his six fingers and says "I know someone who is looking for you.")

I guess I could Google it and find the names of the few I don't know off hand but that would be cheatin.

One of the best movies ever made! Or so I've heard, I've never seen it. [Wink] But was it a book first? [Confused]

KE

[ October 16, 2006, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Dave at Work
Member # 1906

Kelsey Grammer as Dr. Hank McCoy aka Beast in "X-Men: The Last Stand"

I can't think of a better actor to play the part.

Wait a second there KE, you've never seen Princess Bride? You must atone. Go rent it, or buy it, or find out when it will be available on pay per view, or on a premium movie channel that you subscribe to, and watch it. Then you must memorize all the quotable parts, in character voice, so that you can bring them into conversations at appropriate points. If someone doesn't get the quotes, introduce them to the movie.

Jesse
Member # 1860

Eh, I thought Henry Rollins would have been much better as Beast, and Micky Rourke as Wolverine (the cat playing him is way to tall, and way too baby-faced).

Patrick Stewart apparently had no interest in a "comic book movie" until someone sent him a stack of old mags. I think everyone who read the comic knew it had to be him the day STNG premiered.

What about the less than obvious casting? I mean, actors you thought couldn't pull it off until you saw the movie?

Salma Hyeck in Frida springs to mind.

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was convinced that Kelsey Grammar as Beast would be horrible, but I really liked it.
Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about godawful casting? Like Rosie O'Donnell as Betty Rubble?

And Tom Hanks in Da Vinci Code?

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

quote:
Eh, I thought Henry Rollins would have been much better as Beast, and Micky Rourke as Wolverine (the cat playing him is way to tall, and way too baby-faced).
Henry Rollins the singer/actor who fronted for Black Flag and played such rolls as Spider in Johnny Mnemonic and Sid Gronic in Jack Frost? I just don't see the fit. Is there another Henry Rollins that you might be refering to? Maybe you could point me to a movie roll that he did which highlights the qualities he has that fit the character of Beast. I admit that I haven't seen that many of his films, so maybe I just haven't seen what you've seen, but the ones that I have seen just don't support, in my opinion, his being "right" for the part of Beast.
Jesse
Member # 1860

Eh, you'd actually have to see some of his spoken word.

Personally, I thought Kelsey played him a bit...poofy. Mr.McCoy is intelligent...but he played football in college too. I never read a snooty tone into his voice.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Dave,

Did you see that in that post I posted every actor and the part they played in The "Princess Bride" and their most memorable quotes. And I said that I didn't use Google. That was all out of my head. I love that show.

It's "inconceeeveviable!"<spittle flyining> that you missed that.

ted to add: Oh, I see; I put the [Wink] after the period instead of in front of it. Sorry, Dave, I've seen it numerous times. Curious, I see it was late when you posted, but how did you think I knew all that without having seen the movie?

"We have a wheelbarrow? Why didn't you add that to the list?"

"NO! To the Pain!" (...all except the ears)
"DROP YOUR SWORD!" (I could add all the rest that came between those two lines, but I don't want to show off and bore those two members that don't Love "The Princess Bride". [Smile]

KE

[ October 16, 2006, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

As for Jesse's challenge:

Michael Keaton did a very good job IMO as the first Batman. I was very very surprised. I thought it was a terrible idea when I first heard they were casting him for the part.

KE

[ October 16, 2006, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

It's like Heath Ledger as the Joker for the next Batman movie.

I just don't know how that's gonna pan out. I sincerely hope that he does an excellent job - I thought everyone was amazing in Batman Begins (except Katie Holmes, who apparently was the only actor/actress that they had in mind when writing, if you're going to believe IMDB trivia).

Dave at Work
Member # 1906

KE,

My only excuse is, it was late and I had just finished studying for an Accounting exam. Clearly in my frazzled state of mind after studying accounting to the wee hours of the morning I misinterpreted the following quote and came to the misconclusion (is that a word?) that you had not seen it.

quote:
One of the best movies ever made! Or so I've heard, I've never seen it. [Wink] But was it a book first? [Confused]

Dave at Work
Member # 1906

Jesse,

quote:
Eh, you'd actually have to see some of his spoken word.
Could you recommend a good movie that he has been in that would demonstrate that in some way? The only movies that I have seen that I know he was in were Johnny Mnemonic and Jack Frost, and those I saw in the early or mid 90's. You may be right that he would have made a better Beast, but I haven't seen anything of his yet that would suggest that.
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Peter Sellers -Grandpa/Columbo (Telling the story.)
<Nerd Mode="On">

That was Peter Faulk, not Peter Sellers. Sellers was long dead by the time that movie was made. [Smile]

</Nerd Mode>

As to the most perfectly cast actor of all time? That would be Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

And Peter Falk is ALL to very much under-appreciated. I'll take Falk over Brando any day.

In 'Wings of Desire', he was so very very good.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks Ed. I was seeing Columbo in my head but I wrote Sellers. Brain spasm. Speaking of Peter's; Peter O'Toole was perfect in "My Favorite Year".

"I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!"

Yeah, Dave, I saw it was late when you posted, and I mispunctuated. No biggie.

Ed, Stacy agrees with you. Her second choice would be Tom Hanks in "Forest Gump".

KE

[ October 17, 2006, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page