Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 74)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter O'Toole didn't fade into as distinguished an elderly career as some others, but he was -- and in my eyes, still is -- a giant.

O'Toole in Lion in Winter is a marvel.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aye, him and Kate sniping at each other was some of the best dialoge ever recorded on film...and it may be her best acting.

John-"Mother, he has a knife!"

Elanor/Kate- "Of course he has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians."

That film is the best Historical Drama ever created by anyone other than Shakespear.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EDanaII:
As to the most perfectly cast actor of all time? That would be Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara.

Ed.

And she wasn't their first choice. But exquisite casting. She made that role.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I told y'all but my oldest 17, after having several gorgeous girlfriends that he could care less about, fell in love with a girl about three weeks ago. They went to their first Homecoming Game/Dance last weekend and Stacy and I met her parents and took pictures of the handsome couple. He even gave up his position as leader of his Klan on Runescape (several hundred members under him) to spend more time with her.

Yesterday she called him and informed him that she cheated on him. He is crushed, and very very angry. Angry at her but realizing he can't hurt her planning to take out his anger on the other guy. I have had may hands full trying to make him understand how one violent action can mess up his whole life (I'm the voice of experience), unfortunately although easier going than I, when angered he has my temper.

The worst of it is the girl is two years younger than him so the guy she messed around with could be 14 or 15. Little John works out daily and is very strong. He's had one fight in his life but he knocked two of the kids teeth out. (Yes, I've taught him to defend himself). So, I'm afraid that he might really hurt this kid, firstly because I don't want him in legal trouble, and secondly because I don't want to see a kid hurt. I mean what young boy is going to turn down the advances of a beautiful young girl?

He's at school now and I pray nothing bad happens. I've been as adament and stern as possible about not fighting in school etc. but he is very very angry and hurt.

I guess we've all been there. But he's been so perfect I want so bad to protect him from doing something that will impact him negatively. The worst part about being a parent is the worrying. And it is BAD. And it never seems to end.

KE

[ October 18, 2006, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea for me!!! After finally having a job again for lo these many years, and then seeing that, because of chronic spontaneous nosebleeds (epistaxes,y'all, is the official medical term for 'nosebleeds: sounds like a Trojan war hero) I wasn't able to fulfill more than 15 hours of a 2-hour work week, and then missing two weeks due to surgery recovery followed by an all-day bleeder that introduced me to the lovely incompetence that was ER in our nearby hospital, I've learned today that my bosses like my work well enough that I can just come in whenever I can and plug in to the survey machine.

Just throw me against the wall every day and see if I stick.

Yea!!! I can be a financial contributor!!! Yea!!!

(Don't tell me I don't know how a Betty Friedan housewife feels...)

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Congrats Ken! Ain't money great? Hope your nose gets better? What's the situation with it? Are they going to be able to fix it?

My son made it home and he didn't kill anybody. The guy (his age) apologized profusely and John accepted. He shuns the girl though. Of course she is sorry and wants him back. High school.

KE

[ October 18, 2006, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Thanx. We're running through the paper chse to get my insurance to cover an out-of-state procedure at the nearest HHT clinic. It shouldn't be such big deal, and should have been done last year, but some doctors are idiots.

Laser cautery has a 50/50 chance of providing me a relatively noormal nose for 3 months to 2 years. Average it at 6 months.

I can live with getting a Dr. Nose job every 6 months if it means I can play tag like the normal kids [Wink]

The KE lineage of lady-killers marches on through time and the halls of high school...

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, this is an odd place, but since I know only regulars visit the the MC....

If you need some nice server space, mine is going to waste. I pay about $20 a month for webhosting, and I'm not using 1% of my plan.

I find this wasteful, so if anybody has a site they want to host, please contact me by email at

eric.decker -=- concordparty.org

The FTP password is all yours, and I can host domains hosted from anywhere. Or I can register one for $10 annual. Gb of bandwidth monthly, 100s of Mb disk. No copyrighted content, naturally.

Wiki, blog, and forum software is a one-click install, I install, you configure, you manage.

No charge, requesting only a link to concordparty.org in lieu of payment somewhere on the index page.

I feel a little like a spammer, so I'm going to take a hot shower now.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats both KE and KL. Happy days, both. [Smile]

Drake, that's not spam at all; what a nice gesture.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

<Groucho Marx voice> (And twiddling a Vlassic pickle) I wish I could get a nose-job every six months. [Smile]

KE

TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post 
"My son made it home and he didn't kill anybody. The guy (his age) apologized profusely and John accepted. He shuns the girl though. Of course she is sorry and wants him back. High school."

Exactly, KE.

The best way for him to get back, isn't through violence. It's high school, he has his life ahead of him.

The best way for him to get back at her - and the other guy, is gossip. Help him spread a slander campaign and ruin these kids lifes.

High school rocks. [Smile]

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved high-school gossip.

The best rumor ever spread about me at school is that I made number twos in the school bathroom.

(the girl who started it was one of those "eeeew never use public toilets!" girls, and didn't realize until after she spread it that it really just made her look silly)

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

Gross. You used the public bathrooms?

COOTIES!

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, right?

I was only at school from seven in the morning until ten o'clock at night. I totally could have held it for 15 hours.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would have, if you weren't so gross.

High School gossip taught me...

"Whatever someone is willing to do to someone else 'for you' they will be willing to do to you for someone else"

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

"High School gossip taught me..."

That I am smarter than 90-95% of everybody.

Assuming that my school is a near perfect representation of the population everywhere...

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

I think my favorite was when someone who you were not friends with would be like "I heard from so and so that they're spreading this rumor about you" when the person just made that up to try to get on your good side.

Or when someone tells everyone something that is blatantly false, and everyone knows it and no one believes it, and then they feel all proud for having "ruined" that person. And really they just made themselves look silly.

Oh, high school. Sometimes I miss it. And then I laugh at myself.

KnightEnder
unregistered

My worst high school rumor was that I sold drugs. I had an IROC and money so one of the girls I dated mom's told another that she shouldn't let her girl go out with me because I sold drugs. The other mom told me this so we called the first mom on the phone and totally busted her (everybody knew I didn't do drugs, they thought it was cause my dad was a cop, but that wasn't the reason). Anyway I told the first mom I would sue her for slander if she ever told anybody that lie again and the other mom bitched her out and let me date her daughter.

KE

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

That's fabulous.

I remember running against another girl in a school election (for president of Drama Club).

She and her boyfriend were the only ones who voted for herself. When she lost, she tried telling everyone else in the club that I won because of certain unsavory favoritism things (I'm sure you can figure it out). ...but she was telling all people who had voted for me, who knew that they had voted for me, that there was no way I got any votes and so it must be shady dealings.

That's my favorite kind of rumor... the one that just makes the rumor-teller look completely crazy (like the mom who said you were a drug dealer).

Jesse
Member # 1860

My personal favorite?

Cute little busty freshman, with a crush on one of my friends, downs a bottle of Vodka in one long pull in an effort to impress. She gets a bit goofy, then passes out. The friend of mine she was crushing on had already bailed, rather turned off by excessive vodka chugging and clinging.

I walk back in, having missed all of this, and find a couple of freaks I don't really know taking her shirt off. She's obviously out of it, I tell em to back off, and figure out she's really messed up. Someone tells me about the whole bottle business.

I tell everyone to bail and dial 9/11. Kid hosting and his folks get into massive poop, everyone else got away, she gets her stomach pumped. Story goes around I called the cops to raid the party 'cause the two freaks wouldn't let me hump a passed out chick.

Story started by...the girlfriend of one of the freaks, who I had once considered a friend, who had gotten a dude I had issues with the year before expelled by planting a dime bag in his locker and making a call [Smile]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Around mid-sophomore year, I looked at high school society and became a virtual hermit.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Can't get laid being a hermit. (Or did that work for you? Maybe that hermit thing made girls want to draw you out? Damn! I see you working Ken. But you know that only works when you're already handsome. If you'd been homely they'd have left you alone, alone.) [Wink]

KE

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

I'm a hermit right now, and so far it has done zip for my social life.

Maybe there's a connection there somewhere....

cperry
Member # 1938

Have y'all heard that new single by Bowling for Soup? Something like "High SChool Never Ends," and it's all about the gossip that continues, and the curiosity about the "cool" group, except now the cool group is the celeb crowd (and, by extension, I'm guessing, it fould be another group at your place of business, etc., depending on the politics there). ANyway, it makes me laugh and feel sad at the same time.

I did a lot of stupid stuff in high school because I thought I didn't belong, was convinced that the only way to be happy was to belong, and perverted a lot of my own values trying to fit in. I'm sure rumors were involved, but I can't remember any specific ones. I probably spread more than were spread about me. Dumb dumb dumb.

Anyway, maybe some of the stupid folks from your high school grew up and figured it out.

KnightEnder
unregistered

I dislike how they always make the cool kids pick on the geeks etc in the movies etc. We could have cared less about anybody but the hot girls.

We damn sure didn't waste our time going around torturing weaker guys that were not competing for those same girls. As a matter of fact I always believed the more the merrier and tried to include everyone, which was why we had parties almost every weekend at my house with hundreds of kids, a lot of whom I didn't even know. (One of the few advantages(?) of having an alcoholic cop father. HUGE PARTIES that never get busted. Thank God nobody ever wrecked driving home drunk.)

I think 'cool' kids are villified in movies, tv, and songs, because the geeks have a jealousy complex that drives them to be more successful as adults and then they get their revenge by writing 'cool' kids as evil to make up for the fact that the 'cool' kids actually ignored them in high school. You know, like how a lot of wimps in high school become cops.

KE

[ October 21, 2006, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

cperry
Member # 1938

Well, like any group, it's risky to define the individuals by the whole. I know some people who were cool high school kids, deserved it, and grew up to be awesome adults. Then I know some cool high school kids who didn't have much to offer but beautiful eyes and a nice figure. Not even particulary nice to others -- if not the villain as depicted so often in the movies (for a villain, that cute blond actor comes to mind -- he was in Karate Kid #something; Back to School -- okay, that was college not high school; and probably Pretty in Pink, but I'm not 100% sure).

Ignoring is almost as bad as torturing, you know. I think that's why some of those kids end up shooting others at school, isn't it?

KnightEnder
unregistered

Different kid. It was James Spader in Pretty in Pink (also Stargate and Less Than Zero), but that other kid in Karate Kid did seem to be constantly playing the cool kid villain. No way Ralph Macchio could have kicked his ass, even if Ralph was forty-five at the time the first KK was filmed.

Ignoring is not the same as excluding. Like I said everybody was invited to my parties. But I see what you mean. Still, what are you gonna do.

I went to a rich school my freshman and sophomore years and there were a lot more cliques. I had friends that I played ball with (the cool kids) and then the kids I grew up with (smart funny geeks) and try as I might the two never really mixed. Then I got kicked out for fighting and went to a poor school and it was much better. No cliques. Everybody partied under the bridge or at my house together. Hell, the jocks were the stoners and it was much more relaxed atmosphere.

My boys schools are so large now (especially the high school) that it's more like a college campus atmosphere. My oldest son doesn't even know who the quarterback or head cheerleader are. And doesn't care. (Yes I was the quarterback, but I didn't date the head cheerleader, just the homecoming queen, her sister, and the girl voted most beautiful. Man I miss high school.) [Smile] [Cool] [Frown]

Edited to add: I did date her in sixth grade, but not in high school. Dorothy Wilson...what a set of pom poms. [Smile]

KE

[ October 21, 2006, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

cperry
Member # 1938

That's right, and I adore James Spader. Esp now in Boston Legal. God, I love that show. I've only seen two episodes, but they crack me up just remembering them! Thanks.

Athletes have an advantage, I think. They can cross many different cliques, if they have the brains for it (and I'm not trying to stereotype all jocks into the dumb crowd).

We used to party in fields. Neat memories.

Jesse
Member # 1860

No, cperry, ignoring isn't really why kids wind up shooting others at school, at least not ussualy.

People under extreme stress snap sometimes. Without draping a lot of fancy psychology trade lingoe around it, they just feel trapped and start trying to cut their way out. The Welsh called it going Fey...in WWI sometimes a machine gunner would start mowing down his own troops.

"Ignoring uS" sure wasn't at the top of Kliebold and Thomases list. They were bullied, and both were suffering from mental health problems that weren't being treated.

I think there is something of a feedback loop between the exagerated hollywood depictions of the adolescent caste system and reality, but I don't think that's anywhere near the sole cause of that sort of thing.

A lot of school shootings go down for the same reason adults kill each other obviously, so and so got frisky with so and so's girl, girl dumped boy, ect.

Teenage boys are a roiling mass of testosterone and HGH. Put them in situations where they are completely disempowered, don't give them any meaningfull work to do, and then expect them to swallow insult after insult without the slightest reaction...some of them will explode.

I mean, why do pastoralists all send their adolescents off to graze the herds in the highlands for a good chunk of the year? Why do agriculturalists all work them dawn to dusk until they haven't got the energy to cause problems?

They aren't, by nature, very social creatures.

Now, they are trapped between an outdated code that says they can't turn to an adult to resolve a situation, while at the same time zero violence policies mean that if they settle it with their fists they'll be expelled, wind up in some school for troubled kids, and essentially "lose" anyway.

I've been within minutes of deciding to put a .44 caliber slug into a teacher. I made my plans, carried the gun for quite a while, had chosen a time and a day I could plug her and make it to the office to snuff the vice principal (all of this over 15 years ago).

I didn't do it, because I had a fortunate moment of clarity. I didn't need to kill a couple petty tyrants to create a situation that would let me get over the hump and kill myself, if I really wanted to do it I decided I should just do it.

It's not easy to learn to overcome biology, and what's amazing to me is that so few kids snap.

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

Yeah, I was a jock in HS, but also the queen of the drama geeks. I didn't hang out with most of the jocks outside of school, though.

And I wasn't on the football team, but I might as well have been - most of them were also wrestlers, so teammates that way.

I remembered more fun rumors. The girls who spread the rumors that I was a lesbian (like it was a bad thing, not the ones who were like "Oh, yeah, Lisa likes chicks. So?") were the SAME girls who constantly spread rumors that I was trying to steal their boyfriends.

Try to figure the logic out on THAT one....

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, high school. I didn't particularly care. I preferred to read a book, and did.

Then I went to college two years early, and found that there were much more interesting people. Though my new school, Gonzaga, for some reason feels like... not a step backward, but at least a step sideways. Not forward at all.

Still. Happiest two years of my life yet. I may consider Gonzaga to be happiest later, but for now... haven't gotten many friends yet, as I'm still only two months in.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

WOw, Jesse. Just because I don't think I've ever felt pushed that far, what in the world did the teacher and AP do to make you consider this?
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"WOw, Jesse. Just because I don't think I've ever felt pushed that far, what in the world did the teacher and AP do to make you consider this?"

Funny story. Nothing to do with school. But relevant in its absurd way.

I used to work for a furnace cleaner. We dressed scruffy 'cuz it's dirty work. My boss was a bright guy who looked kinda dumb when his face was relaxed. I'm kinda weird by nature. We had a 16-year old kid help us on some of the really rough jobs. He was and looked dumb.

So:

Wealthy house with extended crawl space. Dumb kid's crawlinmg way back in the dirt and spiders to patch into the ductwork for pneumatic cleaning. Boss and I are both black-faced like chimnet sweeps from blasting out this old dirty oil frunace.

Elderly matron of the house comes down with lemoade. Watta sweethert.

"Where's the young fella?,' she asks.

A quiet moment. My boss and I had this telepathic hook-up regarding gags, especially those one really shouldn't do. We look at each other for a momebnt as some evil brainwaves transpond between us.

"We ate him," I say, turning to the lady.

Blink.

She looks from me to my boss.

Silence. Then, in a simple, dumb voice, he says, "We *had* to."

He looks at me. Your turn.

She looks at me. I take the tray of lemonade from her hands before an already over-the-top practical joke becomes a loss of lovely glass summerware.

"He called us NAMES!!!," I say.

Just then, the dumb and young one hollers from the far basement corner, "Hey!!! Where's my flashlight!" (or something like that)

Those were glorious days...

Maybe Jesse's teacher called him names?

TommySama
Member # 2780

Actually, I thought:

"Teenage boys are a roiling mass of testosterone and HGH. Put them in situations where they are completely disempowered, don't give them any meaningfull work to do, and then expect them to swallow insult after insult without the slightest reaction...some of them will explode."

sums it up pretty well. Although I'm not sure what HGH is...

No control and zero tolerance. What the F&*k.

I'm 18 and they still make me get my parents to sign permission slips and class course forms. To me that basically says, you're nothing.

If some freaking loser calls me a white boy in the hall and I slam his head into the wall I get suspended, five days. If a kid comes up to me, for no reason at all, and punches me in the face, and I hit him back in self defense, I get suspended. If somebody starts fighting you and you just take it, you get suspended.

Just knowing those are rules makes me almost violently angry.

On top of that, take a bunch of meaningless classes designed for nearly retarded people where they give you tons of school work to do at home (most of it completely pointless) and won't pass you so you can't get a good job and have a ****ty life because your whole life they have told you getting A's and into college so you can make tons of money is the only thing worth living for.

Then on top of that imagine you are completely alone, picked on by other kids (if even acknowledged) and you still have all this energy inherent in boys your age of your species, and all you want to do is have sex and fight. Then it almost makes sense why these lame-o's flip out every once in awhile

cperry
Member # 1938

How did wealthy elderly matron react???

I didn't realize, Tommy, how violent 18 year old men could feel.

OK, OA elders: Is this a new thing, or does every generation of teen males go through this?

TommySama
Member # 2780

I thought it was all teenage males.

Isn't that why it's so easy to get us to fight in wars?

cperry
Member # 1938

Maybe. But hubby, who served in the Marines, is not a particularly violent person. I've only seen him mad once. He does, however, have very good self-control.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"How did wealthy elderly matron react???"

Owing to the unwittingly perfect timing of Young Dumb, she had a fine laugh about it. If Young Dumb hadn't piped up then, I think our prank days would have been over. It might have been pretty awful.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Well CP, I went to jail for felony aggravated assault at 18 so I'd have to say it isn't anything new.

But then I had a violent home life. Angry, horny, and invunlerable are a bad combination. Add to that a father that glorifies such behavior.

I've done the opposite with my boys and so far so good. Although they both have my temper, neither has been as violent as I was because they understand I will not tolerate it and that it will negatively affect their futures. I've had to stress this constantly since birth to get it to sink in enough to battle the natural state of a teenage male.

As for what Tommy says about how teachers treat young males I'll quote Prince; "Show me a boy who stays in school and I'll show you a boy, oh yeah." Truer words were seldom spoken.

KE

[ October 23, 2006, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All my anger was directed elsewhere. School was more haven than penitentiary for me.

I got in a grand total of one fight when I was 13, some kid was angry because I was going around saying he had a gang. So he grabbed one of his buddies and they punched me a few times. My Mom has never learned why I suddenly wanted to take Karate lessons.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page