Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat (Page 87)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  ...  196  197  198   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KE-

quote:
Thanks for the advice SP. I couldn't agree more, and can't wait. Will my TexMex fly in Castillian Spain?
They'll just hear an american accent. Whether or not it's intelligible is more than anything a question of whether or not you're pronouncing your vowels correctly.

I've actually only been to Spain once, when I was a little kid--so I didn't much of a chance to use my Spanish. But I've spoken with spaniards several times, and they seem to me to speak much more clearly than Mexicans. (My Spanish is South American--I lived in Argentina and Venezuela for a combined seven years).

Go see Pan's Labyrinth if you want to check your listening comprehension of "Spanish" Spanish.

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way--I think they call their language "castellano" rather than "espanol." They do the same thing in Argentina, insisting that the two are different languages. In my experience, the "two" languages are about as different as American and British English. (In Argentina they pronounce their "ll's" and "y's" with a "sh" or a "zh"--think Zsa Zsa Gabor--sound and then they speak with an italianesque lilt). If you grew up in Arkansas, you might have a little trouble understanding someone from Manchester, but I think it would be a little silly to insist that you're speaking different languages.
Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post 
"Me! "

I'll give you one guess as to what my ID on it is.

(Hint! It's TommySama)

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You guys might be suprised to know that Mexicans consider us "Norte Americanos" (North Americans). I think the idea that we think of ourselves as "Americans", the only ones, kinda pisses them off. Just a fun fact.

Thanks for the advice SP, Chael.

KE

[ March 06, 2007, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you steer clear of Austin for the next week or so, Texans... The Insanity is almost upon us. I refer, of course, to SXSW, aka South by Southwest, aka South by South Wasted, or simply "southby" if you wanna sound like a local. I'm on the list for a few parties; other than that, I'm defecting to NYC for a vacation. I don't have the strength for the party-hopping this year.

Regarding Spanish:
I know much more Spanish than I ever speak; the only time I'm confident speaking it is when I've been drinking. One of my future coworkers is from Nicaragua, and she said she'd help fix my broken Spanish if I'd help her with more "proper" academic English. She sounds more Jamaican to me than anything- the way she structures her sentences is very Carribean and it's honestly delightful, but she has some trouble getting grants and stuff. So far I'm batting 1.000 on my funding attempts, so we're gonna do a little exchange o' knowledge.

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Someday, hopefully soon now that I'm going to have money to spend I'd like to come down there and introduce you to my sister (If you recall, she lives in Austin and I think you two would get along great.) and wife and take y'all out on the town. Maybe next summer? Have fun. Vaya con Dios.

KE

[ March 06, 2007, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone know whats going on with the liverpool vs. barcelona game? i dont know what the schedule was, and i dont know where i could check the score of a game that may or may not still be going on.
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KE,

Brazilians will also sometimes insist on calling Americans "Norte Americanos". I always tried to tell them how vague that was, but that didn't seem to bother them. I guess maybe they didn't appreciate the differences between the a Canadian and a Mexican. There is another term out there that occasionally gets used, "Estados Unidence" (which seems to work spanish, too) which would mean "United Stater". But that never seemed to get used by the americans or the brasilians.

Tony,
I saw some of the liverpool vs. barcelona game on TV this afternoon. (ESPN2?) I think it said it was tape delayed. It was in the 80-somethingth minute, and someone was diffinately winning 1-0. I promply switched the channel.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
Brazilians will also sometimes insist on calling Americans "Norte Americanos". I always tried to tell them how vague that was, but that didn't seem to bother them. I guess maybe they didn't appreciate the differences between the a Canadian and a Mexican.

Yeah, and Americans use the terribly vague

"Asians"

[Cool]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, and Americans use the terribly vague

"Asians"

Fair point. The Brazilians would also commonly call me "Gringo" or "Alemão" (German) or "Alemãozinho" (Little German)
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Drake, funny you should say that. I was trying to describe the difference to my 14 year old between Korea, Japan, and China and he asserted that they were all "Asians". I know that would piss each country off, but are they really different, aside from culture and lines on a map? Especially considering none of us is really all that different.

Edited to add: Texans and New Yorkers have different cultures and are seperated by a lot of lines on a map, but we aren't a different race. No matter how much either side protests. [Wink]

KE

[ March 07, 2007, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Clark,

I know "Gringo" is a disparaging word for foreigner, especially a white foreigner, but what does it literally mean? (Oh, and I also know that it can be used as a term of friendship just as the N word can. Which I'm sure is how they meant it towards you. I know my friends have said f-ing Gringo with a smile before.)

Edited to erase the worst Spanish curse there is, cause I wanted to see if the filters caught it. They didn't.

KE

[ March 07, 2007, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, now you just made me curious. [Smile]
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post 
Like This

If anyone asks you
how the perfect satisfaction
of all our sexual wanting
will look, lift your face
and say,

Like this.

When someone mentions the gracefulness
of the nightsky, climb up on the roof
and dance and say,

Like this.

If anyone wants to know what "spirit" is,
or what "God's fragrance" means,
lean your head toward him or her.
Keep your face there close.

Like this.

When someone quotes the old poetic image
about clouds gradually uncovering the moon,
slowly loosen knot by knot the strings
of your robe.

Like this.

If anyone wonders how Jesus raised the dead,
don't try to explain the miracle.
Kiss me on the lips.

Like this. Like this.

When someone asks what it means
to "die for love," point
here.

If someone asks how tall I am, frown
and measure with your fingers the space
between the creases on your forehead.

This tall.

The soul sometimes leaves the body, then returns.
When someone doesn't believe that,
walk back into my house.

Like this.

When lovers moan,
they're telling our story.

Like this.

I am a sky where spirits live.
Stare into this deepening blue,
while the breeze says a secret.

Like this.

When someone asks what there is to do,
light the candle in his hand.

Like this.

How did Joseph's scent come to Jacob?

Huuuuu.

How did Jacob's sight return?

Huuuu.

A little wind cleans the eyes.

Like this.

When Shams comes back from Tabriz,
he'll put just his head around the edge
of the door to surprise us

Like this.

[Rumi, Translations by Coleman Barks with John Moyne]

Like that. Don't you?

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Drake, funny you should say that. I was trying to describe the difference to my 14 year old between Korea, Japan, and China and he asserted that they were all "Asians". I know that would piss each country off, but are they really different, aside from culture and lines on a map? Especially considering none of us is really all that different.

Koreans, Japanese, and Chinese people used to be thought of as oriental, and now "Asian" - which I find to be misleading because nobody describes Russians as Asian, but they've got a big chunk of the place.

Race is a social construct. So when I talk about North Americans or Asians, I'm generally talking about the geography. Chinese and Koreans are far more different than Canadians and Americans. This includes political structure, culture, history, economics, etc.

The question is, what thought is someone trying to convey when they are talking about "Asians" or about "North Americans"?

The best possible situation would be one in which we are all Individuals, collectively creating Humanity.

No human is all that different from any other. We all like to eat food so we don't die, and procreate so that someone will still be around when we do.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Gringo" means non-Spanish light skinned male [Smile]

It's hundreds of years old, and some etymologists think it comes from "Griego", meaning Greek.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

I travel frequently to San Diego during the work week. If anyone is out there and would be interested in a beer some evening, email me through the forum. Karl Strauss?

Gringo once meant "Irish", according to at least one source.

Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. I'm still waiting for someone to come to Philadelphia!

<grumble>

Although I am going to Puerto Vallarta at the end of this (my truly hellish) month. Who wants to join us? Well, for a meal. Then you have to be about your business. [Smile]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Philadelphia (or close enough). Who else does?
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks for the explanations guys.

Drake, the context was my 14 year old trying to get out of learning where all the different countries are in the Far East by saying "Oh, Dad, they're all Asians!" (He's a bit of a smartass. Get's it from his mom.) [Smile]

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Dave, my company is in St. Louis but the owner is in California, if it's near San Diego I'd love to meet with you. I don't drink beer, but if they have some Crown I'll be satisfied.

KE

The Drake
Member # 2128

quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Drake, the context was my 14 year old trying to get out of learning where all the different countries are in the Far East by saying "Oh, Dad, they're all Asians!" (He's a bit of a smartass. Get's it from his mom.) [Smile]

Heh, yeah I got that. A slight variation on "who cares?" one of my favorites, especially as we were memorizing the presidents - in order of office. I've retained almost none of it.

You could give a smartass answer back...

Japan is the country we beat in WW2, Korea is the country that we tied in the Korean war, and China was our ally against Japan, but our enemy in Korea.

The Drake
Member # 2128

Aquateen bomb scare fun from National Lampoon
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run down to San Diego at least twice a month to see friends. It's my home town.

Let me know if you come out, KE.

Gordon Biersch beats the pants off Karl Strauss [Smile]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

quote:
Gordon Biersch beats the pants off Karl Strauss
I think that theory needs to be tested, perhaps with a double or even triple blind test. What can Biersch put up against the Strauss 6 brew sampler?
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometime ago I wrote on this forum how I always bought Dell Computers and was very pleased with the service I received. I now wish to recant this statement. My latest and last Dell Computer has been a complete nightmare. It is full of faulty equipment that can’t be easily replaced with parts from recognised companies. Ever part in this Dell has a little sticker on it containing the phrase Made in China. Dell’s Helpdesk, always polite, seem to have been recruited in the Sub-Continent as English does not appear to be their first language. They also seemed to be advising me while reading a book.
I’ve now bought a Computer from Packard Bell as it was cheap and still had Windows XP on it. Vista was promised as a free upgrade. This now appears untrue as I have had to order it from Amsterdam (delivery 6-8 weeks) at a cost of £11 postage & packing. My son has removed Vista from his new computer as it will not let him run Linux.

Do I feel better writing this down – No.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Omeg, I live in Lansdowne. Where are you?
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

When you've got Iron Horse Stout...who needs a sampler?

Honestly, the beers are comparable, but the food at Gordon Biersch blows Karl Strauss AWAY.

DaveS
unregistered

If you'll be around the week of the 26th and care to back up that claim, I'm game. Maybe KE will be there then, as well...? Funean, let us know if you'll be able to join us. Karl Strauss's Beer Garden is in the old Japanese tea garden off Mira Mesa. [Smile]
KnightEnder
unregistered

Dave, I've got to go to St. Louis, corporate headquarters next week (ANYBODY IN ST. LOUIS?), and the owner kinda left it open when and if I get to come out there and meet him. I think it is probably contingenton how many valves and transmitters I sell. I plan on selling a lot. So hopefully I'll get invited out soon, but not that soon.

On the other hand Stacy and I have gone to LA and San Francisco on two vacations, she loves it their (so do I but not as much as her), so maybe we'll do San Diego next. I hear it is beautiful and a fun place to visit?

KE

DaveS
unregistered

I don't know the city that well, as I am mostly there just to work. My one entertainment usually revolves around dinner, and then I sometimes work more. Jesse would be much better at answering.

I do like stout, and last month KS featured their own Russian Imperial stout (9%). I've had a couple of different IHS's, and they're also strong, dark and chewy. If the food is better at GB, then they've really got something.

hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I try to read the Libby guilty thread, I get a popup with the message "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." Anyone else seeing this? Otherwise I shall conclude my laptop is possessed either by aliens or Republicans. Aliens would be weirder, but some Republicans are sort of weird too.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

I have no problems with Firefox, but I just experimented with IE7 and the same thing happened to me! I tried again, first reading other threads, and then was able to enter that thread. But, when I hit the Back button, IE blew up. Definitely weird.
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot, DaveS. That pretty well confirms the problem is on the server running Ornery, and not on my disk. I did restart my machine, but I should otherwise have tried defragmenting my disk looking for a bad spot. Since it is a glitch on Ornery, I can skip that...
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

A glitch on ornery, or a glitch in IE7? [Cool]
The Drake
Member # 2128

PS - use firefox
hobsen
Member # 2923

Actually I have Firefox, and I shall use it if I get desperate to read that thread. And the location of the glitch is a good question, but DaveS reports intermittent difficulty with IE while for me it happens all the time. That suggests the problem is hardware rather than software, since we are presumably running the same code. And it could be related to the fact I have a very slow dialup Internet connection, so IE may be having difficulty doing something and timing out in consequence. But that is just a guess; what DaveS did for me is to confirm that the problem is not unique to my machine.
DaveS
unregistered

I would blame IE7, not merely for the slight thrill of jabbing Microsoft.
hobsen
Member # 2923

Can't argue with that. The corporation everyone loves to hate. But I prefer widely used software just because, when it does something wrong, I can find fifty others who had the same trouble. Everyone says Firefox is better, but it has less documentation, so it is harder to troubleshoot if it does fail.

[ March 08, 2007, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

DaveS
unregistered

Firefox is not perfect, of course. I'm running 2.0.0.2, and it seems stable. It's been a while since I ran IE, and I primarily use it to load pages that won't load in Firefox for some reason. That happens with some pdf's and some videos, and of course, pages from the Microsoft MSDN or their other developer subsites.
  This topic comprises 198 pages: 1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  ...  196  197  198   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page