Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » on the internet, no one knows you're a dog. (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  26  27  28   
Author Topic: on the internet, no one knows you're a dog.
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In about 20 years, ornery daughters are going to be breaking a lot of hearts.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed! And Ornery parents will be locking doors, keeping that shotgun behind the couch, installing cameras in all the cars...what? Oh, that's just me, then.

TomD, she's gorgeous! Lookit! Golden ringlets!

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

No no, its me too, Funean. If I have a daughter, I'll be sitting on the porch holding my shotgun every time she goes on a date and isn't home by 9pm
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the fathers who were the biggest scammers are going to be sweating the most. We know what guys are like! I guess it's karma (sigh).
Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Heh. I know what guys are like, but not because I had any success with women [Frown] Mostly because I was always the shoulder that my female friends cried on after their current guy convinced them to have sex, and then left.
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had a daughter, I would tell her to dress like a tramp and stay out all night.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ev, let me guess. You got the "I wish I could fall for a sweet guy like you" routine. I got that a lot myself. What a load of crap, like who they "fall" in love with is completely beyond their control. Funny that none of them trip and "fall" in love with guys who look like Quasi Moto.
Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Funean:
I don't care. I'm all about the prime rib.

What else are you serving?

Eve came from Adam's rib.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funean is definetely prime [Smile]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But we do have to be careful about the sweet guys, 'cuz they're the ones that turn into crazy passive-agressive stalkers of the "If you won't marry me, I'll kill myself!" variety (after dating for three weeks).

Or maybe that's just my luck with men, I don't know.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quaestor
Member # 2553

- posted      Profile for Quaestor   Email Quaestor       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<groan> [Roll Eyes] wow.....

and lemme guess - "rare" to, eh? [Wink]

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

Lisa, not all of us passive-agressive guys are the stalker type. I've always been the martyr type. You know, the kind that mopes around, but defends the girl who dumped me, hence making her look like an even bigger bitch to everyone. [Wink]
KidA
unregistered

quote:
KidA - where in Japan did you go? Like, which island? ('cuz I'm dumb and don't know all the prefectures by heart unless it's Tokyo, Ehime, or Kyoto)

My wife is from the island of Kamagari, in the inland sea between Honshu and Shikoku. The picure was taken in Kinosaki, a hot springs resort town in southern Honshu. We've travelled around...Tokyo, Kyoto, Fukuoka, Kobe, Hiroshima. Since my in-laws live there, I have reason to go as often as possible. It's a wonderful country - I may live there someday (when my Japanese is a kajillion times better than it is now).
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you will wait with a shut gun, even for a guy like me?
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had reason to go there as often as possible. I was an exchange student in Ehime for six weeks in high school (it's on the Northwestern corner of Shikoku), and it was beautiful there. Absolutely beautiful. And the local food was divine (most of it -- the grapes made me sick for some reason).

I definitely need to go back there at some point.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That's a good trick.
Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, He is a God of Love, after all.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OpsanusTau:
quote:
That's a good trick.
It sounds, well, uncomfortable, to me. Glad I'm not a woman... and I would think twice about anyone that could say the "came from Adam's rib" [Eek!]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
canadian, you are very naughty.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't care. I'm all about the prime rib.
What else are you serving?

Caprese salad, challah, crescent rolls, blueberry mascarpone cake, and pain au chocolat. This is what you get when you combine an obsessive compulsive personality with a love of baking [Smile]
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Are guys invited, jasonr? 'Cause you are making me hungry...
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmm.

That does sound good.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are guys invited, jasonr? 'Cause you are making me hungry...
Everyone is invited. And I'm serious too; this is not a joking invitation. It would be so much fun to actually meet some of you guys (and girls) in person. If any of you people can make it to Toronto, I will book my building's private party room (It has a pool table, kitchen, and dining room, big screen TV, and gazebo) and I will cook a feast.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are all a talkin but when is the eatin?
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

Challah = love

Also, Toronto is only like two hours away from me by car (during school), but I lack a car. So the only way I can get to this shindig is if one of you has to drive through the Buffalo/Rochester area.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a good kitchen at school, so I might not be able to make cake. Unless Jason lets me borrow his cooking-place.

Hannibal
Member # 1339

heh.... toronto is 11 hours by flight [Smile]
and i lack a seven forty seven [Smile]

i guess i'm off the meal, you can send me some food in air mail though

Gaoics79
Member # 969

LOL, allow an intruder into my kitchen? Normally I'd say no, but I can compromise if it gets people here [Smile]

I have no car, so I can't drive anyone, sadly. Are there any people who could actually make it? Could this actually work?

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

Sweet. Do you have a bundt pan? (the rest is simple. Spoons, forks, pastry blender [one of the hand ones], bowls, oven)
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"Caprese salad, challah, crescent rolls, blueberry mascarpone cake, and pain au chocolat. This is what you get when you combine an obsessive compulsive personality with a love of baking"
You seriously know how to make all of that? That's really cool. I am not good at cooking, but then again, I hate doing it.
Funean
Member # 2345

YUM!

Actually, an obsessive compulsive personality is exactly what you need for baking. It's much more science-y than plain old cooking.

FIJC, you should try it. Making bread, for example, is very satisfying and it has the right number of semi-fussy little steps. It is a good activity for an afternoon where you are home and have something percolating on the brain, like a problem to solve or a piece of writing to put together, because there are breaks in the action and it's not mentally demanding.

FIJC
unregistered

I think that I would need to buy a cook book for that. I don't own any. Oh, and did I also mention that I hate grocery shopping? [Smile] I only go once a month.

Maybe I'll try it. I would probably need one of my roommates to help out though.

[ August 17, 2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: FIJC ]

Funean
Member # 2345

Internet...INTERNET...I know you have access! [Smile]

There are at least a billion recipes and technique sites online!

Bread is also cool because the ingredients are: yeast, flour, sugar (wee bit), salt (wee bit), milk or water, and maybe butter. Anything else is flavoring or type (like herbs or cheese). And you don't need a pan. Slap a log shape on a cookie sheet and you're golden.

Gaoics79
Member # 969

quote:
Sweet. Do you have a bundt pan?
Yeah, it's one of those fancy flower shaped ones I got at Williams Sonoma. (I pretty much live in that store) I bought it originally with Angel Food cake in mind, but this turned out to be totally inappropriate, and impossible to unmold. I still haven't actually used it for anything.

quote:
I think that I would need to buy a cook book for that. I don't own any. Oh, and did I also mention that I hate grocery shopping? [Smile] I only go once a month.
Try starting with something like Williams Sonoma Essentials of Baking. It gives very good explanations of the science of baking, and the quality of the recipes is far superior to anything you find online. It also gives you mass measurements, which will come in handy if you get more serious about baking. I have some good recipes too, if you're interested. My only rule is that you can never, EVER use Baker's brand chocolate for anything.
Funean
Member # 2345

jasonr, you would enjoy "CookWise," by Shirley Corriher.

She is a former (I think) chemist who became a foodie. It is great geeky stuff, and good recipes besides.

Gaoics79
Member # 969

I'll have to put this book on my to buy list. Thanks Funean. LOL, I like her exploding duck. In the precis of her book, that is listed as one of her failures, but I think that would be a really cool recipe. I would call it the Duck Bomb.

Actually, the concept reminds me of this:

Cooking for engineers

I'm also reminded of Baking Illustrated, which apparently uses this woman as a source. (another great book, by the way)

OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

quote:
My only rule is that you can never, EVER use Baker's brand chocolate for anything.
jason, why not?
(I usually use other brands, but I don't have a Formulated Rule about it)

I personally like my Joy of Cooking as the essential all-around cookbook - though I got the shiny new edition for Christmas and was shocked (shocked!) at how many of my favorite recipes from my grandmother's nineteen-forty edition are missing in the new one. Though the new one has a better balance of different types of international cuisine and interesting things to do with vegetables.

FIJC, there's a fantastic breadmaking book called "Beard on Bread" that is both a good read and totally useful and helpful.

Lisa M.
Member # 2398

I don't always follow the rules for baking. I wonder what would happen if I did (the recipe I use for the gingerbread cake has all these completely unnecessary steps, like boiling the applesauce/molasses/baking soda concoction before putting it in with the flour et all). Plus, the recipe demands that you use an electric mixer, but mixing it by hand has always worked for me, even if it takes forever.

Then again, the first recipe that I used didn't ask for those things, but then I lost it. Found one with the same ingredients, and mix those instructions with what I remember from the old recipe.

Also a tip: When mixing molasses and applesauce, put the applesauce in the bowl first. It helps mask the smell of the molasses.

Everard
unregistered

Why would you want to mask the smell of molasses? [Smile]
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

quote:
I don't always follow the rules for baking.
I think that one of the most important things about Learning To Cook is learning when you can diverge from the recipe (using an electric mixer or a spoon; adding raisins or not) and when you can't (substituting baking soda for powder; using water that's too hot for your yeast).

Lisa, you should post your gingerbread cake recipe.
Yum.

Gaoics79
Member # 969

quote:
I think that one of the most important things about Learning To Cook is learning when you can diverge from the recipe (using an electric mixer or a spoon; adding raisins or not) and when you can't (substituting baking soda for powder; using water that's too hot for your yeast).
ACK! Blasphemy. The key to learning to cook may be improvisation. This is death in baking. I know I may sound like a baking nazi, but substituting baking soda for baking powder is NOT ok. Baking soda only activates and produces C02 on contact with an acid, such as buttermilk, unsweetened cocoa, (not dutched) vinegar, or lemon juice, etc... By contrast, baking powder can react with itself to produce the necessary gas. If you substitute baking soda for baking powder in a recipe that doesn't happen to have an acidic component, you're screwed.

quote:
jason, why not?
(I usually use other brands, but I don't have a Formulated Rule about it)

Have you actually tried tasting the stuff? It's inedible. My little sister likes white chocolate. She tried their white chocolate, and spit it out it was so bad. Bakers brand chocolate is to chocolate what spam is to meat. The trouble is, people see the label "Bakers" (which is nothing but a brand name) and they think that this means you should bake with it. Meanwhile, they'll eat Lindt or some other quality brand, not realizing that their recipes would be soooo much better with decent chocolate. If it ain't fit to eat, it ain't fit for baking.
  This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  26  27  28   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page