Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » on the internet, no one knows you're a dog. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  26  27  28   
Author Topic: on the internet, no one knows you're a dog.
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were going to post a fake picture, I promise it would be a better one.

But simplybiological might be posting a fake just to get our attention. She's probably really a middle-aged white guy reminiscent of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons [Smile]

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assure you that the anxiety I have felt since posting mine is proof positive that it's actual. Nothing like giving up one's anonymity to produce hives!

And aupton's right.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...about posting fake pics, not about simplybio being amiddle-aged white guy. You'll have to ask simplybio about that.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fourtwentytime

I got them. I just have to remember who at Foobonic I need to contact to have them put on that server so that I can link to them here at this site.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since images of ourselves have virtually no meaning to the content of our words, whether they're accurate or not is tangential. These words come from grey matter invisible to all but Superman.

SOmeday, though, flame wars will include denunciations like '**** YOU and the avatar you rode in on!'

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could verify mine because I actually met a member in public, but he is temporarily suspended. I say that on OA we assume honesty and integrity until proven otherwise.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fotwennytime
Member # 1037

- posted      Profile for fotwennytime   Email fotwennytime   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you m2, i wasnt sure if i clicked all the right clickies
Posts: 420 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fotwennytime
Member # 1037

- posted      Profile for fotwennytime   Email fotwennytime   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah and sorry again, i shoulda had em to you the day after, however my horrible irresponsibility overrode my ettiquette.
Posts: 420 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tez and I have pics on a digital camera now, just waiting before we get them up. Prepare to be blown away.

It "will kick so much ass that it may reverse progress made towards world peace during the last 50 years." - Maddox

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serotonin's Gone and I dated for quite a while, and lived together. I think he is in the best possible position to confirm that I am not, in fact, a middle aged white guy.

And, as was pointed out when I first started posting, I "write like a girl."

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, that was me, wasn't it?
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
twas you indeed, pumpkin.

now where's that picture?

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe SG is just ashamed to admit he was living with a middle aged white guy? [Smile]

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

KE, i assert that you are a petite old lady in her mid-60s. Stacy would be embarrassed to admit this, so she can't confirm it. [Smile]

SG is a little too hetero for your scenario, i think. I have girl parts, trust me... I even showed you a picture of the chest tattoo!

aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Maybe SG is just ashamed to admit he was living with a middle aged white guy?"

Not that there's anything wrong with that. [Wink]

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife lives with a middle aged white guy. She seems to like it. [Smile]

mquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Ah, but wouldn't it be fun to assume the persona for awhile? I just don't think I could pull it off for long.
Locus
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Locus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cperry:
Ah, but wouldn't it be fun to assume the persona for awhile? I just don't think I could pull it off for long.

To what end ? Why pretend to be someone you're not?
Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have I ever mentioned that I'm really Micheal Moore and that I post here because I'm a closet conservative?

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"To what end ? Why pretend to be someone you're not?"

Rather like the thrill of wearing women's silkn underthings underneath one's pigt-stained overalls...

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locus
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Locus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
"To what end ? Why pretend to be someone you're not?"

Rather like the thrill of wearing women's silkn underthings underneath one's pigt-stained overalls...

Ah ..but that's being yourself ..not someone else.
Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

I live INSIDE a middle-aged white guy... who liks women's underwear and slinky cashmere sweaters and thinks Johnny Depp looks SO cute in women's clothing... but better as a pirate.

YARRRR!!!

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil."
nyani
Member # 1828

- posted      Profile for nyani   Email nyani       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought maybe Warrsaw was going to look like my brother, because they are both blondes and have serious ambitions to take over the world. But they don't look alike at all. Lucky for WP I guess.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

War looks an awful lot like my old esteemed colleague, Wolfgang Imadeus Meshuganetts, who has a true Chirstian name but would prefer I keep it private.

Wolfy, as we call him, also tended to focus an uncommonly strong intellect along tunnels of thought that others generally eschewed. Sometimes Wolfy, too, seemed to be blinded by the light his laser cast at the end of the tunnel, experiencing a lingering afterimage that sometimes obscured his view of the object at hand. Wolfy, like Warsaw, learned to look slightly askance to solve this problem.

Veteran Heinlein fans may remember how Kip, in Have Space Suit -- Will Travel, saved himself on Pluto using the same technique. Basically, he expanded his field of vision by learning to focus more on the periphery than the blinding glare flash in his center of focus.

This may sound to some like a preachy criticism, but it is actually a pean. (LIke a Zen master, I like to commence preacht criticisms by whacking someone with a hard stick.) Wolfy is awesome. Anyway, he and War could pass for brothers.

(kenmeer, emulating Clarke's 'Nine Billion Names of God' by striving to find 9 billion ways of making an ass of himself.

'Slowly, one by one, without a fuss, the stars in kenmeer's eyes were winking out.')

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Wow, for all the to-do regarding my youth and blonde-ness, very little reaction from Ornery when I actually post my picture.
cperry
Member # 1938

Locus - For what end? I suppose it's the fiction writer in me. To see what kind of charade I might be able to maintain. To test out opinions under a pseudonym so they aren't attributed to the known me. (No, I don't mean flaming, either.) To be taller, stronger, faster, cuter, whatever. I think the internet has allowed lots of people to do that (think chat rooms with 14 year old girls and 34 year old men pretending to be 15 year old boys -- sorry for the stereotype, but statistics support it). Dungeons and Dragons role-playing. There's lots of reasons for people to consider being something they're not, if only for awhile. Of course, you might argue then it is something they are, if they want to pretend, but I disagree. We each have a pretty unique voice here. I'd have to really get into character to pretend to be someone else and be believable, I think.
cperry
Member # 1938

WP - Great pic and great scenery!
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wow, for all the to-do regarding my youth and blonde-ness, very little reaction from Ornery when I actually post my picture.
I was holding off for the uproar that never came [Big Grin]

That was sooo not how I pictured you looking. Although you do look a lot like a guy I know, only with dark hair.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

cperry -

That's my town (or a part of it anyway) from the top of a hill near my house. I live across the street from the high school in the background, so I get to appreciate that kind of scenery every day.

Adam - Yeah, nobody thinks I look like I sound.

Politius
Member # 1756

- posted      Profile for Politius   Email Politius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mk....
Renmazuo121 on AIM
www.xanga.com/tkdmaster3bd for a small little pic of me that you really cant tell how old i really am or how i really look...but thats an old pic of me...really old

Posts: 168 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Also, War, a picture that doesn't look you've had a cranial piercing through your left ear with some kind of slick alloy ball'n'chain thingie... might be better?
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see it kenmeer. Are you referring to the tree in the background?
Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tezcatlipoca:
I don't see it kenmeer. Are you referring to the tree in the background?

There is a floodlight from the athletics track(?) which appears to be sticking right out of WPs left ear, amongst the trees.
Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. I see it now. The tiny line only visible when you zoom in, which is a branch illuminated by that great big floodlight (the Sun [Smile] ).

How did you find it?

Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locus
Member # 540

cperry,

Ever thought of taking up theatre?

cperry
Member # 1938

Locus, I'm terrible at it! The closest I ever got was teaching (at least that's a kind of stage) and dancing. However, lest I have inadvertently given anyone the impression that I'm some kind of wacko just waiting to be some other kind of wacko, I would definitely not pose as someone else. Not enough time as it is to be me!
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tez...you have to zoom in a lot for the face recognition software to correctly check against the FBI database. [Wink]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

The FBI doesn't know I exist anymore. Shush.
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WP's metal qtip is screaming out to me. It's only out shouted by that funky slope from what appears to be the stands to what appears to be the dugout and/or Other Stands. WTF?

And of course his youth and yellow hair. [Smile]

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  26  27  28   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page